Did you get into an MBA program with the GRE?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:8 members
My GMAT study has been extremely disconcerting, and with only three weeks to go now, I am thinking I need to try the GRE. I took a diagnostic test, and although my score didn't seem to be much better than what I was scoring on the GMAT, the test definitely felt more comfortable to me.

So I am wondering -- has anyone out there gotten into a top 20 MBA program with the GRE? What was your score and where were you admitted? I am just curious as the GRE scores are not published widely like the GMAT scores?

Also, how did you study? Do you know of where I can get a very solid study plan? I would prefer to take the test in three weeks [crazy, I know, but I have so many work trips after then I think it would be hard to study], and hoping some of this GMAT prep [Knewton online course] will be of help. If I am going to do this, I need to completely switch gears NOW as time is running out!

I just took the diagnostic GRE test with no studying. I realized that I would have a lot of vocabulary to learn, and since I hadn't gotten to reviewing geometry in the GMAT study, this would be important. I would also need to keep my mind focused on Reading Comprehension. Either way, I scored:
V- 154
Q- 155

This is how my GMAT scores have been:
6/14/2008: 540 (Q- 29, V- 36) [did this with minimal studying 5 years ago]
6/14/2013: 570 (Q- 35, V- 34) [Diagnostic to start my GMAT prep]
7/2/2013: 540 (Q- 30, V- 35)
7/28/2013: 540 (Q- 30, V- 35)

Sadly enough, if I can't get anything up to the 700ish range I am probably wasting my time on these applications. :(

If the switch does seem worth the effort, I have a few questions that someone might have some answers to:

1. How do you switch gears from studying for the GMAT to the GRE? What information should I continue to use/study in my brain?
2. On that note, I have been using the Knewton software to study for the GMAT, and I have access to the MGMAT set of books [thanks, b-school neighbor!]. Should I continue at least the math sections [without Data Sufficiency] in these materials? What of this can I continue to use? What other things should I add to my collection?
3. I have read so many negative articles about why you should take the GMAT and not the GRE. But would it be better for me to score well [hopefully] on the GRE instead of poorly on the GMAT? And on that note, I feel like I need a more valid excuse as to why I took the GRE instead of the GMAT if someone asks... anyone got a good-sounding reason?
4. Has anyone done this before? Lessons learned? Advice on how to do this in three weeks?

Followed by:8 members

by speedyb09 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:21 pm
I just took another GRE practice test, two days after the first one mentioned here. It was with Princeton Review, so I hope it is reliable!
After two days:
Quant: 155 --> 158
Verbal: 154 --> 160

This is making me think it is worth switching... I didn't even study beyond playing a vocabulary game on my phone and reviewing some geometry during my GMAT prep.
Anyone know how to make the switch, with 3 weeks to go?!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mariammeite » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:31 pm
Hey, i am on the same boat! I want to switch from studying from the GMAT for months,to studying for the GRE. I actually have 3 weeks to go. What did you end up doing? Please help!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nbestman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:45 am
I'm also in the same boat and applying within 3 weeks! Did you all end up taking the GRE? What did you all end up doing? Would appreciate the help!

- N

Followed by:1 members

by gmat_best-shot » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:55 pm
I did some research regarding this.
Whether an MBA program accepts GRE in lieu of GMAT is entirely a decision of the individual MBA program. Over the last three-four years, several top MBA programs in the US and some in Europe have been accepting GRE scores.

However, note that ETS (which administers GRE) has provided a GRE-GMAT equivalence chart.
https://www.ets.org/gre/institutions/ab ... rison_tool

According to this, GMAT quantitative scores have a greater value than GRE quantitative scores. So, you need to score higher in GRE quant.

Hope this helps.