Did the GMAT just beat me?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Did the GMAT just beat me?

by fused » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:03 am
Hey guys, (in a very dejected tone)

700 <= x <= 800 : x being my score. This has been the only equation floating in my head for the past 5 months of my GMAT preparation time. And by looking at various posts in the community, I see it as the one and only goal everyone is trying to achieve when they give the GMAT exam. Mostly on this forum I see posts about people's success stories of how they beat/cracked/aced the GMAT exam. Today I am here to tell you a little story of how events turned out in my life, something very different. Though the name of this forum is 'I just beat the GMAT!', I think it should even encompass backfires, major backfires.

Let me start off with how it all began for me. During my schooling years, I had it all going for me. From good grades to popularity to leadership roles. I had even chosen my career path very early in life and I started to groom myself accordingly. I now study in one of the best engineering colleges of my country and have many things going for me here too. All this pointed to me thinking that I stand a good chance of getting an MBA admission abroad. And my first step to that would be to cross the hurdle named GMAT. Good things are always on a roll when everything works for you in life. Things were working for me, right? Then why has ONE exam made me think that it has beaten me?

On my first attempt of the GMAT, I scored 640. Thats not bad, but its not good enough as I had high ambitions. As this was just my first attempt I blamed it on my level of preparation. Maybe there was something more I could do. Maybe there was some book I didn't go through. Maybe I didn't get enough practice in CR. Maybe there was some blog I didn't go through properly. Maybe I left out referring to the tips on some important forums. Maybe if I practice harder I would be able to cross 700. These are all the thoughts which ran through my mind while trying to rationalize my score. I had settled myself with all of them. But after I did that, fear started creeping in. What if I don't get a 700? What if my second attempt goes worse? What if I'm not good enough? What if I don't get an admission in a MBA university abroad? What if I'm not able to earn enough to sustain myself the way I would like to? Did these thoughts dance their dance of D€@th on my confidence levels? Yes.

Luckily, because of the support of my parents and friends, I was able to reconcile myself and pull myself and my thoughts together. I thought to myself, instead of looking at this as a whole, I should take things step by step. One by one. This put my first priority as scoring well on the GMAT and worrying university applications later. I went back to my hostel with regenerated enthusiasm that in my second attempt I was going to nail the GMAT. I started studying and followed a regular studying schedule. There were many things other responsibilities I had to take care of such as college assignments, quizzes and exams. But that didn't stop me from spending 2-3 hours everyday on my GMAT studies. I was able to complete OG11, OG12, Kaplan GMAT 800 and the Manhattan Sentence Correction. Though my preparation level of CR was not satisfactory to me, I spent maximum time on it and just one day before my second attempt something clicked in my mind about those questions and I started getting them right. I don't know what that missing link was, but it surely helped.

The day was here... My second attempt... 570.

I couldn't believe my eyes. 570?! How is that possible? Everyone talks of a 50 point increase in scores in their second attempt. How did I get a 70 point DECREASE?! I even found the missing link in my sticky area of CR. I was devastated. My throat dropped to my stomach. I just wanted to hide my face in some lonely corner and stay there for the rest of my life. In one word, ashamed. And this just happened yesterday. Here is what happened...

I went much better equipped to my second attempt than I went to the first. I had my energy drink with me, my small eats, a few flashcards and a proper table of how to map out my time during the exam. I was confident with my preparation and looked at aiming for the stars. After I finished my registration and submitting of colleges, I started my AWA section. Both essays went smoothly and I was happy with what I wrote. Then came my 10 minute break. I had already planned previously that I would take the complete 10 minute break to revive myself so that I could attempt the quant section with full concentration. I took my break and was notified by the testing center staff that I had 3 minutes left of my break. I thought they would even notify me when my break was over, so I waited. But I kept waiting and it seemed like 3 minutes had long gone and no one came to inform me. So I walked up the the staff and told him that I would like to begin again. When I reached my computer, this is what was written on my screen: 'Your break time has exceeded by 45 seconds and this time will be deducted from your allocated examination time. I PANICKED! My whole body balance went off the charts. I was not able to recover from knowing that I had lost 45 seconds off of my paper because even during the practice tests I used to give at home I completed the quant paper on time. This 45 second loss made me think that I wouldn't be able to complete the last few questions of the paper, which would screw up my quant score and verbal is not a very strong area for me anyway, so my overall score would just be bad AGAIN! I couldn't handle this pressure and I solved my first question wrong. It was all downhill from there. I knew what I was solving was wrong on the paper, and all my focus was on just completing the paper because I had read on a forum post that rushing through the last few questions and getting them wrong tends to reduce one's score. Eventually I was able to finish the quant section in time, but I knew I hadn't done well at all. I thought I would be able to cover up in verbal, so I went into that section with some confidence. I was confident of what I had marked as answers in verbal. So when the screen of deciding to report or cancel my scores came up on the screen, I chose report. Quant: 39, Verbal 30. I'm smiling at my stupidity right now. I used to get Quant: 50, Verbal 37 on my GMATPrep practice tests.

Maybe if I had spent one extra minute in that quant section to calm myself down about my lost time and start attempting my questions with a cool frame of mind, I might've been able to get many more correct and rushed through maybe the last 3 or 4 questions. But 4 questions wrong at the end would more than get covered up by the amount I got correct in the former part of the section. I wish this reasoning occurred to me during the exam.

I came back home only to have one of the longest conversation I have ever had with my parents about my future. They had put in so much of hard work to see me do well in this exam too, TWICE! I cannot keep repaying them with such atrocious scores. I was almost on the verge of giving up. Maybe this MBA pursuit is not for me. That night I sat down with my mac, the business week rankings of top MBA institutions, blogs, GMAT coaching center websites and forums to help me find a way out of this mess. I had my time to sulk, now was the time to do something about it! And I knew I had to make some serious changes in my life to get what I want. As my friend rightly said to me after I told her about my score - Winners are not the ones who stay down, but the ones who bounce back even faster! I want to be a winner, period!

But do I have it in me to take one more shot at the GMAT? The fact that I am taking this exam for the third time only lowers my confidence. People don't usually take this exam 3 times in the same year. I know 570 is not my true score. I just panicked. But the score doesn't cease to play with my mind.

The first major reason I have posted is because I would like other GMAT aspirants to see the extents to which things can go wrong during the exam. There are few lessons I have learnt which I would like to share -

1. Hope for the best, plan for the worst - Never take things for granted in your life, or for that matter your GMAT, like waiting for the staff to tell you your break is over. Simulate every possible event which can happen in your exam, in your mind, before you actually go for the exam.

2. Always know there is a way out of a mess, a higher road - While going through the business week rankings and the school profiles, I found such a wide array of programs these schools offer with comfortable deadlines for applications (some second round). This I think gives me ample time to prepare for the GMAT again and to a self satisfactory confidence level.

3. Winners are not the ones who stay down, but the ones who bounce back even faster - Everything in life cannot happen in the first shot. Try, try and try again until you succeed. Nothing is impossible in life. The score range of 700 - 800 is there for a reason. It is there for you to attain it. And you can do anything if you put your heart and soul into it, no matter how many times you fail.

4. Respect your parents and loved ones - They are the only ones who will stand by you in your worst of times to rise you up from the ashes.

5. Not loving what you do will never get you anywhere - Its true. You have to love what you do to expect any kind of reasonable returns.

You guys must've got bored by now after reading a sob story of someone who isn't even helping you in your GMAT prep. The second major reason I have posted my story is because I wanted some words of practical encouragement from the people on this community. What do you guys think of me taking this third attempt? Should I or should I not? What can I do different?

Thanks BTG!

Re: Did the GMAT just beat me?

by ps36363 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:36 am
Dude,

I think you have cried enough and I guess its time for you to rise like a pheonix from your ashes of devastation and show the world what you are capable of.I think GMAT is just a mind game exam and it tests your nerves and sees how much you succumb under pressure.
I think you were under a lot of pressure during your second attempt and that caused you mental blockage and demotivated you.here is the truth which you missed in your second attempt "you are taking GMAT , GMAT is not taking you "
I think you will rock in your 3rd attempt as you have nothing to loose.

You Can If You Think You Can!

If you think you are beaten, you are,
If you think you dare not, you don't.
If you like to win, but you think you can't,
It is almost certain you won't.

If you think you'll lose, you're lost,
For out in the world we find,
Success begins with a fellow's will.
It's all in the state of mind.

If you think you are outclassed, you are,
You've got to think high to rise,
You've got to be sure of yourself before
You can ever win a prize.

Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man.
But soon or late the man who wins,
Is the man who thinks he can.

~ C. W. Longenecker ~

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by mike22629 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:16 am
I will say one thing. You certainly do not lack confidence. Just keep trying and you will get there. Do not forget, it IS possible to overstudy, so just keep that in mind and do not forget to take a day off every now and then.

by skang357 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:56 am
I didn't read your entire post. But it sounds like you're letting the test psyche you out.

Honestly, the test does mean a lot. As a matter of fact, it means around 25 to 40% of your entire application. The score counts for this range in adcom's decision to admit you.

You sound like you have a lot of other things going well in your life and career. If that is indeed the case, as long as you have a GMAT that is in the range you shouldn't have a hard time getting into a good program.

Don't let the test weigh too much. It's important, but it's not the world. And you only took it two times. There are people who take it like 5 or 6 times. Sometimes it takes that much to get the score you want.

So you have at the least 2 or 3 more at bats to get that home run. But don't let getting a home run and the pressure that comes with it make you strike out.

Sometimes people do that. They study really hard, stress out over the test and on test day, they spent the previous night just stressing over the test, didn't get the proper sleep and then do bad on the test.

That's me, that's what I did. I didn't hardly sleep the night before the test, I was tired during the the test, my energy faded, and didn't answer 10 questions on the verbal section, totally guessed them and scored 620.

Oh well. Don't let that happen to you. It's just a test.

But here's a little trick. The week before the test, take two practice tests a day. Yes two a day. I I took 3 a day for a week for my 2nd to last test. By the time I took the test, it was just like taking another practice exam. I wasn't even stressed, it was like second nature. I did much better that time than the 620. I think that's a way of "cheating" and getting you not so stressed and prepared to just think of the gmat as another practice test that you took so damn much leading up to the test.
Impossible is nothing

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Gabriel Ignacio » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:20 am
Hello fused,

As you mentioned, you gotta do things step by step. Based on my observation, you have two problems with the GMAT like most of us do: psychological preparation and actual test preparation. I think you have done a tremendous job for the latter because you have managed to finish OG 11, OG12, Kaplan 800, etc (provided that you spend a lot of time analyzing the questions). You just need to bolster the former. By rough speculation, I think you would have scored a 700+ in your second attempt if you were more confident and as you said, if you did not panic.

Regarding taking the test or not, the answer really depends on you but before you make a decision, you have to know your circumstances and your priorities. As mentioned, if we would remove your psychological troubles out of the equation, I am confident that you would have scored 700+ or if not around 680. My first advise is that you take a time off. You seem to be exhausted physically, mentally, and emotionally (just as I am right now). You see, when we feel tired physically (i.e. lack of sleep, too much exhausted in doing problems, etc.), our outlook on things change. The bad thing is that our outlook change for the worse. You start thinking negative. You start feeling negative. You start having confusions: can I ace the GMAT in this 3rd attempt which I feel I should not be doing after all my prepping? What if not, after all this hard preparation? Would the university I am applying to accept me? Based on your post, I guess this is how you felt when you were prepping for the GMAT which was the same I do when I was preparing for it. My first advise, in a nutshell, is GET SOME REST TO HAVE A CLEAR HEAD AND A POSITIVE PERSPECTIVE ON THINGS. You must remember that negativity in the mind and in the feelings start to creep in when you are tired. So, before making a decision whether to give the GMAT a third shot, rest physically. Do things that enjoy you. As much as you are very enthusiastic about acing the GMAT and going to your dream school, learn to divert your mind away from it by, let’s say, one week. Then, when you have rested well, you will see that you can view things in a more positive light. When that time comes, make an informed decision. Should you decide to give it a third try, you should write your reasons why you would do so and post them in your room so that when you feel and think negative, you can always refer to them so you can be “re-energized.”

Now, if you are going to ask me if you will give it a third try, I would have to get more info. You mentioned that you are a college student. Are you also applying to HBS 2+2 or any programs like it? If not, I am assuming that you are applying to a regular MBA program or any business degree that uses a GMAT for evaluation of candidacy. If you are applying for a regular MBA program, I would suggest that you wait until you graduate. Why? The simple answer is that we cannot do two things a 100% at the same time. If you will study for the GMAT again for the third time while having emotional problems, you might risk lowering your performance in your undergrad subjects. You should also remember that undergrad grades also have a place in the B-school application portfolio. Hence, you must also take care of your current grades now. Now on the other side, if you are applying for HBS 2+2 or any programs like it, you should be aware how the deadline blends to your current condition. Will the deadline of this school allow me to rest and restore my optimism and still have time for actual GMAT prepping while studying for my ugrad classes?

Regarding what you can do different, here is what I suggest: spend more time analyzing the questions for CR and verbal sections than answering them. When I was a newbie in prepping for the GMAT, I stumbled upon a blog that outlines a GMAT study plan of doing 50 questions every day in just two hours. 1.30 hours for answering and 30 min for studying. If for some people, this strategy works, it does not for me and for some others who emphasize QUALITY over quantity. You mentioned that you have completed OG11, OG12, Kaplan GMAT 800 and the Manhattan Sentence Correction. I guess what you have to do is to go over the same questions and MASTER the questions in the practice manuals (OG11, OG12, Kaplan GMAT 800). If CR is your problem, I guess all you have to do is do the old-fashioned PRACTICE! I think CR is just really about practicing. One guy sent me a soft copy of the LSAT logic reasoning bible. It is attached in this reply. You might want to read it to bolster your reasoning logic. For CR, you may want to try buying power score CR or manhattan CR. There was a thread about which among this two is better in GMAT strategy. I think Eric mentioned that power score has a monster reputation in the LSAT world. Maybe, you should go for power score but it depends on you.

Those are my answers to your questions. Just so you know,

You indirectly mentioned that you are a college student. I am also a college student and had a similar story as you do. Accomplishments during schooling have given me the optimism to apply to an MBA program. I am also struggling with the GMAT. I haven’t taken it yet. My advices to you are not from a 700+ scorer (currently) but those will serve as “unbiased” and “impartial” advices as you make your decisions. It really helps if you ask someone to advice you so you can gain an impartial and unbiased view on things.

One more thing: if you would like to increase motivation and to have a "never give up" attitude, you may try to read "Never Give Up" by Joyce Meyer. Just by reading a part of it, I already feel re-energized to pursue my goals. I am not advertising here, just suggesting.

I leave you with this quotation should you choose to go for a third try:
"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won"
- Winston Churchill

God bless,
Gabriel
Do the very best that you can and God will do the rest :)

Followed by:1 members

by geet » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:17 am
hey dude,

i wont narrate u full story but i know a guy personally who scored 700 on first attempt and 630 on his second....yup 630 and u can imagine what the hell must be going on him at that time but he didnot give up and stand again all odds and finally 730, thtz call burning desire.....he gets what he want because he really believe himself!!!!

what really matters is what u want.....if u think 700+ is ur dream then hey buddy y r u wasting time nothing has happened...forget every thing and start a new battle from right now only.... when ever u get exhausted just think u need to try just little harder when ever u get down just think u need to try harder and harder next time.

So bro stop behaving like this, set out a plan and new strategy ,,,their is a mantra "when going get tough,, the tough get going"

i really believe u can get what u really dream , dont let me down and prove that u r really a winner....all d best!!!

GMAT Score:680

by Chinabean » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:33 am
to be honest, I think that OG and KAP are insufficient materials for actually learning how to answer CR and RC which comprises 70% of verbal. Instead, I think Powerscore Critical Reasoning Bible and if you can get your hands on some, LSAT past papers (use 1st and 2nd sections not the logic games etc) are far more useful. For me personally, I didn't actually use the OG to learn CR & RC (partly because I only had a few days to do my revision and partly because, I had read about the value of using the materials I have mentioned.) I only used OG for actual questions, not for answers. Worked for me as a strategy. Also, I started to rush my CR & RC answers so in exam forced myself to take extra 30secs just rechecking my answers.

Hope this helps :D

by LifetimesofSC » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:27 pm
Please send this to the ETS so they can realize that the GMAT isn't a good indicator of intelligence.

I'm joining Kaplan. Peace.

by fused » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:18 am
@ps36363
Thanks a lot for that encouraging poem man! I'm going to stick by your words - "I am taking the GMAT, it is not taking me!"

@mike22629
It is possible to overstudy - Why didn't I think of that?

@skang357
Thanks for your morale boosting words. I'm going to take your tip of taking atleast two practice tests one week before test day. I think simulating the real testing experience is really really important.

@geet
Loving the faith! Keeping the faith!

@Gabriel
Thanks for all your great advice. Presently I am taking the break as you have suggested. It feels good to leave GMAT be for sometime. At the same time my fervor to get back to it is growing. These two failed attempts of mine are just fueling my passion to crack the GMAT even further, and crack it BAD!

Here are the answers to your questions -
1. Yes, I was planning to apply for the 2+2 program. But that was when I thought I could get a good score. I'm applying anyway with 640, because right now I think it'll be too late to take another test without a level of confidence in my preparation.
2. There is a reason I want to complete my GMAT while I am in college. Since I am already in the study mode, my maths fundamentals are fresh and basically I'm leading a typical student life, I don't want to get a break by working and then studying for the GMAT again. It would tend to break my study flow, the way I do things. Even though presently my new plan is to graduate and work for sometime, and then apply to various universities, I would like to get done with GMAT now and just keep my score to be used later. What do you think? Also I have my summer vacations going on at the moment, so no undergrad grades to worry about.
3. Thanks for the CR attachment. I'm going to download it right away and keep it for when I restart my prep. I too saw a lot of posts recommending the Power Score CR. Will go in for that too.

Finally, I wish you all the best for your GMAT Gabriel. I hope you come out with flying colors and get your dream MBA! :)

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:28 am
Gabriel Ignacio wrote:One guy sent me a soft copy of the LSAT logic reasoning bible. It is attached in this reply. You might want to read it to bolster your reasoning logic. For CR, you may want to try buying power score CR or manhattan CR. There was a thread about which among this two is better in GMAT strategy. I think Eric mentioned that power score has a monster reputation in the LSAT world. Maybe, you should go for power score but it depends on you.

Gabriel
Guys, we don't allow you to upload soft copies of copyrighted material on the forum. It's one of the house rules! Please refrain from doing that in the future!

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:04 am
Hey fused,

If you need some material on CR, PM me , I can help you on that.

~AJ~

by Gabriel Ignacio » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:58 am
@ Fused,

I think getting the GMAT out of the way while you're still fresh with your math skills is a great idea. I also advocate the idea of working first before you apply to an MBA program while not worrying about the GMAT. Some of my friends also have a the same strategy (i.e. work first, then go to grad schools). Don't lose hope on 2+2. I saw someone who scored a 640 from an old HBS 2+2 thread in BTG. The person got in (although most of the 600+ scorers who got in are from ivy league schools). Stay positive dude. I wish you the best in all your endeavors. May God bless you.

@ Dana J,

I am very very sorry for uploading a copyrighted material in this forum. I was not aware of that particular rule. My apologies to the moderator. I won't do it again. Peace :)

Best regards,
Gabriel
Do the very best that you can and God will do the rest :)

by yogami » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:02 am
Hey man, I hear you!!. Your problem does not lie in your ability but something that needs to be addressed in your core. Nothing in life is as important as living in the present moment because there is no life beyond this present moment. By placing too much importance on one thing you are training your mind to live in the future, and the mind adapts to it by generating pleasure only on the thought of a hypothetical future. However that can be counterproductive so many times!! A failure will make your mind delve into the past instead and give you feelings of guilt and regret. Lets say you get past your GMAT miraculously there will be further hurdles in your life where you might have the tendency to follow a similar approach!! Today it could be GMAT, tomorrow it could be the six figure salary, later it could be the supermodel and so on... I think if you totally become outcome independent, plan your study for your next attempt and then enjoy every single minute of your journey without worrying about whats going to happen and without thinking about why something bad happened then you will not only beat the hell outta gmat but you will beat the hell out of all the negativity in your life.
So again, try to address your inner game first and then worry about strategy. Your strategy i.e. outer game is perfect but inner game needs solid addressing. Regular exercise (lift weights - really builds your confidence), meditation (listen to people like eckhart tolle ), healthy relationships etc will take care of inner game.
All this being said, I am no expert in inner game but I am certainly dealing with my own demons and cannot think of better ways to defeat them other than ones listed above :)
200 or 800. It don't matter no more.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Good Luck!

by iafmaverick » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:12 am
hey man!

as i was reading thru ur post, all i felt was: man! this guy has really done a lot of hard work!

ur not happy about ur score. but then, why should u feel sorry? u tried ur hardest!

either ways, as most others have said, its a psychologically difficult exam and i guess u need to just toughen up a bit in that area. the preps part has been more than aced by you.

all in all, go for it the 3rd, 4th, 5th time... but if u dont change ur strategy or methods or outlook, what is the point?

personally, i would say, dont beat ur self about it. there r bigger and more important things in life than an exam and you need to realize that being successful in life doesnt equate to doing well in an exam.

enjoy the process. enjoy solving the math, sc probs etc and go in a good frame of mind to give the test the next time and ace it! just be relaxed and dont bother about the 600/700/800s. do what is in ur hands and that is to prepare well and do ur best. leave the rest coz u dont control that.

all the very very best and i hope u get a score you deserve and desire!
Do your best without expectation!

by Prajeen_v » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:05 am
Gabriel Ignacio wrote:. One guy sent me a soft copy of the LSAT logic reasoning bible. It is attached in this reply. You might want to read it to bolster your reasoning logic. For CR, you may want to try buying power score CR or manhattan CR. There was a thread about which among this two is better in GMAT strategy. I think Eric mentioned that power score has a monster reputation in the LSAT world. Maybe, you should go for power score but it depends on you.
Hello Gabriel,
Can you please email me the soft copy of LSAT logic reasoning bible. My mail id is [email protected]
Many thanks