Did not beat it !!! 580 (49Q,21V)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Did not beat it !!! 580 (49Q,21V)

by Mani_mba » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:22 am
I screwed up my GMAT today. I got a 580(49Q,21V). A very less score that i never
anticipated.

I lost my mind totally in the middle of my Verbal section. I just guessed majority of the verbal questions which otherwise i think i would have made it right. One of the reasons could be that i had a bad sleep yesterday and i totally became restless after the tiring AWA and Quants section.

I still see a lots of scope to improve my verbal section. This is the way i prepared for the last three and a half months.

a) Started with 1000 SC for sentence correction.
b) Later, i started with RC. I do not remember the exact material that i used.
c) Then started CR. ( I do not remember the study material i used )
d) Only in the later stage of my preparation, by browsing this forum, i realized that Official guides play a crucial role in enhancing one's skills. Then i started practising OG 11 (SC,CR,RC). I also practised OG 10 CR section.

I gave GMAT prep1 in the middle of July and i got 590(48Q and 23V).
GMAT Prep2 in the middle of August - 620(49Q and 27V)
GMAT Prep1 REDO in August 3 week - 690 (50Q and 35V)
GMAT prep2 REDO two days before the actual GMAT - 680 (50Q and 31V)

This was my strategy. One very obvious reason i see is that i did not practise taking enough of mock tests.

I am trying to recover from this debacle at the same time i am devising a plan for my next attempt. Here is how i am planning to go with:

a) For SC, i am planning to go through Manhattan SC.
b) For CR, i am planning to read Powerscore CR bible.
c) Regular mock tests

Quants, with some more practise, i am confident of reaching 50 or above.

I am planning to give one attempt in the month of November. I really want to take a big leap..

And Will taking the test in November affect my plans of admission in Fall '09 ?

Please suggest me with your ideas and feel free to comment on my plans.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: Did not beat it !!! 580 (49Q,21V)

by emrahercan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:31 pm
Mani_mba wrote:I screwed up my GMAT today. I got a 580(49Q,21V). A very less score that i never
anticipated.

I lost my mind totally in the middle of my Verbal section. I just guessed majority of the verbal questions which otherwise i think i would have made it right. One of the reasons could be that i had a bad sleep yesterday and i totally became restless after the tiring AWA and Quants section.
You said it. SLEEP WELL BEFORE THE TEST and EAT RIGH ;-)

and also, IMO, when you do a practice do the AWA - you will be tired after 1 hour of writing essays and using all you got at Quant section and this is where the test gets tougher...

Overwhelmed test taker vs VERBAL SECTION!!

Try to win this battle before the real one and you will be fine. And good move on thinking of studying SC Guide & CR Bible. Also click to the resource link and browse the verbal stuff. You will be amazed!

Good luck! People don't fail, they just give up!
GMAT DELIGHT