Did I miss something? Is the top 51 or 60?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Did I miss something? Is the top 51 or 60?

by Giorgio » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:52 am
Hello ,

I have received Princeton Crack GMAT book minutes ago , while reviewing it , it says that the scaling within 0-60 range in each section , as i remember highest point is 51.... I'm confused

Am i missing something?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:25 am
In theory, scores can go as high as 60 - in reality (for some odd, statistics-related reason) the highest score one can receive on a section is indeed 51.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

Site Admin
Followed by:550 members
GMAT Score:770

by DanaJ » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:25 am
While it is true that the scaling is 0-60, very few people get 50 and over in quant. This is because it's highly unlikely to get ALL the good answers. Since in the end GMAT is all about percentiles, it really doesn't matter that 60 is max: only very few people get 51, so that's the 99th percentile.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:16 pm
No, it's not possible to score higher than 51 on either the Verbal or the Math (and it isn't possible to score lower than 6). It used to be; the 0-60 range is a legacy from the old paper test days.
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

by Giorgio » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:20 am
Ok i get it now ...

What about GMAT hidden test questions? I've read that 9 of quant and 11 of verbal are not counted in the score ....which means , let's assume you can answer 28 out of 37 correctly and still get 51 in Q?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by roma » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:01 am
dude,
no idea about this......but if it is true you just can not do that(answer 28 out of 37correct) as you do not know which ones are not counted in.

Good Luck!

by Giorgio » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:19 am
yea i know that it is impossible to know which questions does not count...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:09 am
Giorgio wrote:Ok i get it now ...

What about GMAT hidden test questions? I've read that 9 of quant and 11 of verbal are not counted in the score ....which means , let's assume you can answer 28 out of 37 correctly and still get 51 in Q?
These are normally called 'diagnostic' or 'experimental' questions, and yes, they do not count at all towards your score. Before you answer a single question on your test, the computer decides which experimental questions you will see; the questions are organized into groups, and the computer will choose one group to insert into your test. I'm sure the questions are grouped so that they will span all difficulty levels; each test taker should have the same approximate range of difficulty on their experimental questions, the majority likely around the average level, with one or two very easy questions and one or two very hard questions. So your performance in no way influences which experimental questions you will need to answer.

The computer also randomly determines where in your test you will see the experimental questions - so it might decide, when you sit down for your test, that questions 2, 5, 11, 13, etc will be experimental on your Quant section. These selections are different for everyone, and because the question numbers are randomly selected, there's no way to predict where in the test you will see your experimental questions.

So you could, in theory, answer all of your experimental questions incorrectly, and all of your 'real' questions correctly, and get a perfect score with about 10 mistakes on the Quant section. In reality, there is no way that will ever happen. If you answer the first few 'real' questions correctly, every real question you see after that will be near the 800-level. If you're capable of answering *every* 800-level question correctly, you won't have any difficulty at all answering the experimental questions correctly, because pretty much all of your experimental questions will be well below the 800-level.

I'd add that, on test day, it is not a good idea to try to determine which questions count, and which do not. It's impossible to judge even when you are familiar with the test, particularly since there are reasons why you can see questions that actually do count, but which are not at your ability level. It's best to treat every question as though it's important, and not even think about whether a question is experimental or not - you have more important things to worry about during the test!
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com

by Giorgio » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:02 am
Thank you so much Ian!

Great post

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by psmarathe » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:18 am
Thanks Ian,

Great explanation!!!
Pushkar Marathe