Desperately need Advice | 3rd GMAT? | Work-ex diverisity? |

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Dear Adviser

Beat The GMAT : One gets strained by the hypergravity of The Real GMAT the closer he/she gets to it..I realised why the title 'BeatTheGMAT' meant a lot more..Like many other B-school applicants I've been also struck by lightening on the Actual GMAT...actually twice

1st GMAT Attempt: 2nd Oct 2010 | 680 | AWA 4.0
(this was exactly what I scored on GMAT prep 2-months back, just BEFORE initiating my preparations!!) I think I got nervous on the day (I could feel my heart beating hard). I was scoring 730 on GMAT prep and 720-750 on my last MGMATs.
2nd GMAT Attempt: 3rd Nov 2010 | 700 - Q48 V38 | AWA 5.0
With 1 month more preparation I was scoring around 750-760 on GMAT preps. But, anxiety kicked in again..this time the night before! I could not sleep the night before (only got to sleep for 4 hours) May seem like excuses but it actually happened with me.

Now, a good GMAT score can change my selection of Target schools, Scholarship chances...and maybe at-least next 5 years of my life.
My first question is:Now that I have already missed my R1 deadlines should I go in for 3rd attempt at The GMAT maybe by mid Dec & prepare for essays and application by R2 deadlines? I am not working right now so can devote most of my time to essays and applications.

My Second Question is regarding my profile in respect to my work-ex: My Profile is:
Ethnicity: Indian
Have lived in India all my life but have recently moved to US on a dependent VISA
BSc Honors School Biophysics 1999-2002 | GPA 3.23 |
Work Ex of 7 Years: 4 Years in Car Loans and TW Loans (Lending side) + 3+ Years in Life Insurance in Top Private Life Insurer of India (Investment side - as it is in India). Left my Job in Jun 2010, as an Area Manager (I was a good performer and received continuous Role Enhancements and Promotions)

I have learnt that B-Scools generally focus on diversity a lot..I am from an over-represented group of Indians, so work gets tougher. I have noticed that most of the applicants here have IT experience (generally of 2-5 years). I have a core Banking and Insurance experience (On Assets as well as Liabilities side) of Sales, Team Handling & Start-ups. Does this advantageously set me apart within the group?

Please Advise me on this..this will clear a lot of fog in my head.

Apologies for the long write-up.

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:27 members

by paulsbodine » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:28 am
pseudotix,

You don't need to take the GMAT again (a 720, for example, would not significantly change your odds), and if you plan to hit the second-round deadlines you should focus 100% on the essays, letters, etc. Your industry experience does set you apart a bit from the 'Indian Male Technology' profile, but you are still Indian and Male so unfortunately you will not be a diversity applicant. Your age and apparent unemployment will also be negatives you'll need to contend with. So I would be conservative in your school selection and apply to as many schools as you can (without sacrificing quality).

Hope this helps,
Paul Bodine
Author, "Great Applications for Business School," "Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance," "Perfect Phrases for Letters of Recommendation"
https://www.paulsbodine.com/
[email protected]
(858) 869-1959