Darden, Duke, Tuck Admissions

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Darden, Duke, Tuck Admissions

by jsche229 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:47 pm
I am a 27 year old who graduated from the University of South Carolina with a 3.6 in Hotel Management. Upon graduation, I was accepted into the management training program with Marriott International. Over the next three years I was promoted numerous times, eventually settling upon a role as a director of room for a mid size property ($24 million in revenue for my department) in the Ritz Carlton brand. Over the past few years I have served in the United States Tennis Association as part of the urban activism program. I am moderately fluent in Mandarin Chinese and just scored a 700 (42 V, 46 Q) on the GMAT. I am planning on taking it again, if necessary, and I believe that a 700-710 is do able, although not statistically different. Post-MBA, I would like to move into a strategy consulting firm. What would be my chances of admittance to Darden, Tuck and Duke. Thanks for your time.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:55 pm
jsche229:

Thank you for your posting. I appreciate you keeping it brief and to the point!

Firstly, I do not think you need to re-take the GMAT. There is no difference between a 700 and 710, and a 700 is quite strong for the schools you mention. Save yourself the time and effort and begin focusing on your essays.

Your key strength is that you hail from an under-represented industry in business school programs. Be clear about why you chose the hospitality field. What about it has challenged/developed/inspired you? The Marriott brand and training program will be viewed as a wonderful "stamp" on your resume, and be sure to make your career progressions and promotions evident.

I do worry a bit about your post-MBA career goal of strategy consulting, but that might be because you did not really explain why you want to switch into that field.

Darden, Tuck and Duke all make sense for you, and I feel that your odds are fairly good at those schools. For a safety school, you may want to consider adding UNC or Emory.

Good luck!
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:55 pm
I wouldn't apply to Alabama, I don't think they like anything South Carolina very much after yesterday =).
Yep.