Damaged nerves

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:730

Damaged nerves

by ranell » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:21 pm
Damaged nerves in the spinal cord do not regenerate themselves naturally, nor even under the spur of nerve-growth stimulants. The reason, recently discovered, is the presence of nerve-growth inhibitors in the spinal cord. Antibodies that deactivate those inhibitors have now been developed. Clearly, then, nerve repair will be a standard medical procedure in the foreseeable future.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most serious doubt on the accuracy of the prediction above?
(A) Prevention of the regeneration of damaged nerves is merely a by-product of the main function in the human body of the substances inhibiting nerve growth.
(B) Certain nerve-growth stimulants have similar chemical structures to those of the antibodies against nerve-growth inhibitors.
(C) Nerves in the brain are similar to nerves in the spinal cord in their inability to regenerate themselves naturally.
(D) Researchers have been able to stimulate the growth of nerves not located in the spinal cord by using only nerve-growth stimulants.
(E) Deactivating the substances inhibiting nerve growth for an extended period would require a steady supply of antibodies.

IMO

by xcusemeplz2009 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:00 pm
IMO B
It does not matter how many times you get knocked down , but how many times you get up

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by winsome_vagabond » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:16 pm
another one for B ... rest seems out of scope.

by riteshbindal » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:26 pm
B IMO. OA plz.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

hi everyone

by siddharth rastogi » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:06 am
i think the answer should be A

as we need to weaken the conclusion that the nerve repair would be the standard medical procedure in the future, when the antibiotic to deactivate the actions of the inhibitor develop.

so to cast doubt on this prediction the answer choice A clearly states that prevention of the regeneration of damaged nerves is only the by-product of the main function of inhibitor in the human body. Therefore, there is the possibility that the main function of inhibitor in human body is of much value, so we can not easily predict that the above metod would become standard procedure............

hope this will heelp.........

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by srivas » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:48 am
it is B
Gmat710,, Hyd

by kris77 » Sun May 15, 2016 3:49 pm
Well I feel B is the answer. I guess I'm right. If some expert could