cultivated herb

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

cultivated herb

by geet » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:00 am
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil with high concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants. Agronomists studying the herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that, in test-tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert. Possibly, therefore, the herb’s high histidine production is what allows it to grow in metal-rich soils, a hypothesis that would gain support if ______.

A. histidine is found in all parts of the plant—roots, stem, leaves, and flowers
B. the herb’s high level of histidine production is found to be associated with an unusually low level of production of other amino acids
C. others of the closely related group of plants are also found to produce histidine in large quantities
D. cultivation of the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over an extended period, make the soil suitable for plants to which the metals are toxic
E. the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approaches maturity

MBA Student
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmat740 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:30 am
IMO-C
all others are out of scope

Legendary Member

by pandeyvineet24 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:03 am
Yep C for me to

GMAT Score:730

by ranell » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:24 am
A. histidine is found in all parts of the plant—roots, stem, leaves, and flowers – it doesn't matter where histidine is found, out of scope
B. the herb’s high level of histidine production is found to be associated with an unusually low level of production of other amino acids – other amino acids are out of scope
C. others of the closely related group of plants are also found to produce histidine in large quantities – Correct as if other plants of a closely related groups also produce histidine, it means that it lets them live in a soil with high concentrations of toxic metals
D. cultivation of the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over an extended period, make the soil suitable for plants to which the metals are toxic – the fact doesn’t mean that herb’s high histidine production is what allows it to grow in metal-rich soils
E. the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approaches maturity – out of scope

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:42 am
i faced this question today ..

the OA given is E..

can someone explain..??

by boazkhan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:26 pm
Tough one...but E is my pick.

by vscid » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:45 pm
nervesofsteel wrote:i faced this question today ..

the OA given is E..

can someone explain..??
Nos,
What is the source?
The GMAT is indeed adaptable. Whenever I answer RC, it proficiently 'adapts' itself to mark my 'right' answer 'wrong'.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by [email protected] » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:31 pm
Can someody explain this...How can the asnwer be E????

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by neelimareddym » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:33 am
IMO E..

The argument states in the conclusion "the herb's high histidine production is what allows it to grow in metal-rich soils".. This hypothesis will be further supported if the herb produces histidine only while its growing and stops after reaching maturity. E does this

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Due » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:57 am
The right answer is A.

It arguement is that histadine renders the metals chemically inactive. So unless histadine is present in all parts of plant to save that part from being damaged, the palnt cannot suustain.

Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

by komal » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:58 am
geet wrote:Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

A certain cultivated herb is one of a group of closely related plants that thrive in soil with high concentrations of metals that are toxic to most other plants. Agronomists studying the herb have discovered that it produces large amounts of histidine, an amino acid that, in test-tube solutions, renders these metals chemically inert. Possibly, therefore, the herb�s high histidine production is what allows it to grow in metal-rich soils, a hypothesis that would gain support if ______.

A. histidine is found in all parts of the plant�roots, stem, leaves, and flowers
Incorrect : In what parts of the plant is histidine found is irrelevant to the scope of the argument.

B. the herb�s high level of histidine production is found to be associated with an unusually low level of production of other amino acids
Incorrect : This might actually weaken the argument by stating that LOW LEVEL OF OTHER AMINO ACIDS is actually responsible for making the metal in the soil chemically inert.

C. others of the closely related group of plants are also found to produce histidine in large quantities
Incorrect : Issue is about this particular herb and not about OTHERS IN THE GROUP.

D. cultivation of the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over an extended period, make the soil suitable for plants to which the metals are toxic
Incorrect : This might actually weaken the argument by stating that adaptability of the herb to toxic soil is the reason why the herb thrives in metal-rich soil.

E. the concentration of histidine in the growing herb declines as the plant approaches maturity
Correct : It is stated in the hypotheses above that histidine allows the herb to GROW. It means that as long as the herb is growing, histidine is high and as the herb approaches MATURITY the concentration of histidine declines.
Hope this helps : )

Community Manager
Followed by:27 members
GMAT Score:670

by arora007 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:52 pm
If E definitely is the right answer.. I think my understanding of "Maturity" is wrong...

Maturity in a plant means when its in full bloom...or does it mean..when the plan it going to wither away and die??

NOT SURE...

as per me...all options are out of place.... I chose A as

"histadine renders the metals chemically inactive" if any part of the plant is not having histadine...that part will wither awya...

"plant-roots, stem, leaves, and flowers" and the plant / plant species will eventually die...
https://www.skiponemeal.org/
https://twitter.com/skiponemeal
Few things are impossible to diligence & skill.Great works are performed not by strength,but by perseverance

pm me if you find junk/spam/abusive language, Lets keep our community clean!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by outreach » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:27 am
The arg says the herb's high histidine production is what allows it to grow in metal-rich soils
As the plant approaches maturity(full bloom/death), its will need less histidine.

A
histidine present in other parts of the herb is not relevant. what is present in roots is relevant
arora007 wrote:If E definitely is the right answer.. I think my understanding of "Maturity" is wrong...

Maturity in a plant means when its in full bloom...or does it mean..when the plan it going to wither away and die??

NOT SURE...

"histadine renders the metals chemically inactive" if any part of the plant is not having histadine...that part will wither awya...

"plant-roots, stem, leaves, and flowers" and the plant / plant species will eventually die...
[/b]
-------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
General blog
https://amarnaik.wordpress.com
MBA blog
https://amarrnaik.blocked/

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:22 pm
Maturity is nothing but the middle stage, at which plant stop its growth and starts to die.

If you draw the sin wave then peak point is nothing but the maturity level.

In this question what conclusion says that 'high histidine production is what allows it to grow in metal-rich soils. We need to prove this. How? We need to show whether plant looses histidine production at the time of death or reduces in the level of histidine production while reaching the maturity.

E clearly states later. Therefore, E is correct here.
arora007 wrote:If E definitely is the right answer.. I think my understanding of "Maturity" is wrong...

NOT SURE...

Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Followed by:1 members

by zaarathelab » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:17 am
A. histidine is found in all parts of the plant-roots, stem, leaves, and flowers
Well all right, even if that were true it doesn't prove that it is histidine that allows it to grow in metal rich soils since the passage suggests that this only holds true in test tube experiments

B. the herb's high level of histidine production is found to be associated with an unusually low level of production of other amino acids
irrelevant
again doesnt prove that histidine is responsible for metal inertness in soil
D. cultivation of the herb in soil with high concentrations of the metals will, over an extended
period, make the soil suitable for plants to which the metals are toxic

CORRECT. If this is true then histidine would indeed penetrate the soil and over a period of time benefit plants who were otherwise not growing due to metal toxicity in the soil

Histidine could decline as the herb attains maturity but then this has no relationship with metal toxicity