Critical Reasoning

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Critical Reasoning

by clinton » Thu May 12, 2011 6:15 pm
Could someone provide a step by step strategy for answering critical reasoning questions on test day. I usually start a problem by reading the stem and then indentifying the conclusion and evidence. Once I do this, I never re-read the stem, which I think I shoot myself in the foot by doing. Whenver I do re-read the stem, I lose time (averaging 2.5 a questions). Please Help!!!

e + a = c

/////

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Thu May 12, 2011 6:36 pm
Hey.

As per powerscore CR Bible, it is not good to read the stem first. This inhibits your actual analysis of the Stimulus.

Read the problem once slowly. noting down all the impt points. Then read the stem and re read only the data you noted down and try to prephase an answer.

If you have enough time left before the test, get the guide. It is a great resource.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Bek » Thu May 12, 2011 6:44 pm
Hi clinton,

there is one strategy that usually use for CR:
1. read the passage. I don't read the question stem first because reading the stem first is often confuses or distracts me when I go to read the passage. Moreover, "reading the question stem first often wastes valuable time since the typical student will read the stem, then read the passage, and then read the stem again."
2. determine premise (might be at the beginning as well as at the end of a reading)
3. determine conclusion (might be at the beginning as well as at the end of a reading)
4. read the question stem
5. draw possible answer, this helps to find correct answer
6. go to read the answer choices
7. pay attention on two similar answer choices, usually one of them is correct answer.
8. beware the answer choices which have a new information

I hope this will help you.