Critical reasoning question

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Critical reasoning question

by kschow » Sun May 26, 2013 5:48 am
Here is the question
Q. A manufacturer hogged the limelight with his claim that he had an invincible product, which was a panacea for a parent's worst fear, as the device could help find a lost child. The "location system", which packed a GPS receiver, pager and a snazzy wristwatch into a plastic amulet or a bracelet, came in both special and limited editions and at competitive price packages.

Which of the following is the most tenable reason to counter the manufacturer's claim about the invincibility of the product?

A. Other companies may soon follow suit by launching similar products
B. The price may not be suitable to parents of all income groups
C. Children often lose electronic gadgets while out playing
D. The battery might run out of power if the device had been in use for long duration
E. Some parents don't fear losing their children

Since A,B,E are irrelevant, I ruled out them.
I am confused with the options C & D
can anyone give me the answer, with explanation

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by ramitagrawal » Sun May 26, 2013 11:35 am
kschow wrote:Here is the question
Q. A manufacturer hogged the limelight with his claim that he had an invincible product, which was a panacea for a parent's worst fear, as the device could help find a lost child. The "location system", which packed a GPS receiver, pager and a snazzy wristwatch into a plastic amulet or a bracelet, came in both special and limited editions and at competitive price packages.

Which of the following is the most tenable reason to counter the manufacturer's claim about the invincibility of the product?

A. Other companies may soon follow suit by launching similar products
B. The price may not be suitable to parents of all income groups
C. Children often lose electronic gadgets while out playing
D. The battery might run out of power if the device had been in use for long duration
E. Some parents don't fear losing their children

Since A,B,E are irrelevant, I ruled out them.
I am confused with the options C & D
can anyone give me the answer, with explanation
Hi,

I think answer should be C.
The argument given in D may not be reasonable since we don't know the power source of the device. The device might be using non conventional sources of energy. The passage doesn't mention batteries.

Thanks!!

by kschow » Sun May 26, 2013 12:09 pm
What stops me from choosing answer 'C' is: the author says "The 'location system', which packed a GPS receiver, pager and a snazzy wristwatch into a plastic amulet or a bracelet", that means it can be tied to the children, and hence the chance of loosing it is very less.
Where as option 'C' says: children often loose...

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun May 26, 2013 5:22 pm
Not the single clearest question I have ever seen, but choice C seems to be the better answer. I understand what you are saying, kschow, about it being hard for a child to lose an amulet or bracelet, however, at least it says that children OFTEN lose. And this seems to be less of an assumption (a child will take off a bracelet) as opposed to the assumption required in D. D says "The battery MIGHT run out of power if the device had been in use for long duration" so we know have to assume that the device has been in use for too long.

I will take C over D but I am not sure it is quite clear enough for an official question. Maybe just a little edit here and there on this one!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by kschow » Mon May 27, 2013 4:56 am
Hi David
I would like to know whether the online course is for free or for tuition
Can you please share the link of the online course and also time with respect to GMT

Thanks,
Sandeep K

by apoorva.rattan » Mon May 27, 2013 6:24 am
David@VeritasPrep wrote:Not the single clearest question I have ever seen, but choice C seems to be the better answer. I understand what you are saying, kschow, about it being hard for a child to lose an amulet or bracelet, however, at least it says that children OFTEN lose. And this seems to be less of an assumption (a child will take off a bracelet) as opposed to the assumption required in D. D says "The battery MIGHT run out of power if the device had been in use for long duration" so we know have to assume that the device has been in use for too long.

I will take C over D but I am not sure it is quite clear enough for an official question. Maybe just a little edit here and there on this one!
Isn't D more relevant because it talks about a defect with the device and thus, making it not invincible ?.. whereas option C 'expands' the discussion by introducing a factor external to device. Thoughts ?

by pscher31 » Mon May 27, 2013 6:42 am
I don't think the battery running out of power is necessarily a defect, its just due to the prolonged use.

I go with C because it most weakens the author's argument. If the child loses the bracelet it defeats the purpose of having it anyway. Everything else doesn't matter.