CR - treaty

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

CR - treaty

by Xbond » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:33 pm
Hi there,

Could you explain to me what is the reasonning for this CR

Seven countries signed a treaty binding each of them to perform specified actions on a certain fixed date, with the actions of each conditional on simultaneous action taken by the other countries. Each country was also to notify the six other countries when it had completed its action.

The simultaneous-action provision of the treaty leaves open the possibility that

(A) the compliance date was subject to postponement, according to the terms of the treaty
(B) one of the countries might not be required to make any changes or take any steps in order to comply with the treaty, whereas all the other countries are so required
(C) each country might have a well-founded excuse, based on the provision, for its own lack of compliance
(D) the treaty specified that the signal for one of the countries to initiate action was notification by the other countries that they had completed action
(E) there was ambiguity with respect to the date after which all actions contemplated in the treaty are to be complete

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by singhag » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:21 pm
IMO C...if all the countries are involved in the treaty and dependent on each other action then where is the starting point...who should independently start and the other action should follow simultaneously...

OA please

Followed by:1 members

by sanp_l » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:58 am
I would go with Option D.

Whats the OA?
Sandy

GMAT Score:600

by viju9162 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:52 am
I would go with option D. Other options talk about date, which is not so relevant.
"Native of" is used for a individual while "Native to" is used for a large group

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

D

by sumank8216 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:31 pm
D:

Others cannot start thier action until the previous completed its action.

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:16 am
ImO B

For eg :: there may be a case that when it is day in one country , its night in another...so other country has to change its working hours to comply to treaty...

Followed by:1 members

by hitmewithgmat » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:13 pm
IMO is C.
Basically we need to weaken the argument.

A- Definitely out of scope.
B-The premise says that they all signed a treaty. If one of them do not need to make changes, then why sign? Out of scope.
C-Yes!There might have a double-talking among 6 countries. Namely, even if 6 countries signed a treaty, every country has a different interpretation of the treaty. You see what I mean?
D-It seems strengthen the argument, or at least it repeats the premise.
E-.."date"... It has no bearing. Irrelevant.

Hope this helps and let me know if I'm wrong.
Disclaimer-I am not a GMAT savvy yet, but I am learning everyday with my fellow beatthegmat citizens.

I AM DETERMINED TO CRASH/NIX OUT/ATTACK BRUTALLY/CRACK VERBAL PART OF GMAT. ROAR!

by james33 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:40 pm
In my opinion C is the most logical one.