CR on Radio

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

CR on Radio

by ruplun » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:34 am
Radio Stations with radio data system (RDS) technolodgy broadcast special program information that only radios with an RDS feature can receive. Between 1994 and 1996, the number of RDS radio stations in Verdland increased from 250 to 600. However, since the number of RDS equipped radios in Verdland was about the same in 1996 as in 1994, the number of verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase significantly.

Which of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?
(A) Few if any of the RDS radio stations that began broadcasting in Verdland after 1994 broadcast to people with RDS-equipped radios living in areas not previously reached by RDS stations.
(B) In 1996 Verdlanders who lived within the listening area of an RDS station already had a radio equipped to receive RDS.
(C) Equipping a radio station with RDS technology does not decrease the station's listening area.
(D) In 1996 Verdlanders who did not own radios equipped to receive RDS could not receive any programming from the RDS radio stations that began broadcasting in Verdland after 1994.
(E) The RDS radio stations in Verdland in 1996 did not all offer the same type of programming.

I find the solution A to be correct.Please give me ur opinions.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by chetanc » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:08 am
IMO D..

Can you please give the OA and the source..

by ruplun » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:20 am
The ans D is confusing ..please give me reasons behind this

by ashish2104 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:50 am
ruplun Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:20 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The argument states that number of radio stations went up but number of subscribers did not go up significantly.
One important point to note here is, the conclusion specifies 'the number of verdlanders receiving the special program information '.
What can you assume from this?
if the people of verdland did not own rds equipped radios and hence no program update, we can safely say tthat inspite of increase in no of radio stations, no of people receiveing program updates did not rise much.

The negation of D, weakens the argument by saying that verlanders who own rds equipped radios can receive updates. if they can, then the conclusion is weakened.

Hope this helps.

by ruplun » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:09 am
but this is the conclusion not the assumption

by ashish2104 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:25 am
ruplun Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:09 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but this is the conclusion not the assumption
In assumption questions we have two approaches.
1) find a missing premise that strengthens the conclusion
2) negate the ans choices an check which ans choice weakens the argument.

Conclusion: the number of verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase significantly

premise 1:Radio Stations with radio data system (RDS) technolodgy broadcast special program information that only radios with an RDS feature can receive.

premise 2:Between 1994 and 1996, the number of RDS radio stations in Verdland increased from 250 to 600.

premise 3:since the number of RDS equipped radios in Verdland was about the same in 1996 as in 1994

by Shawshank » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:16 am
ashish2104 wrote:
ruplun Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:20 am

The argument states that number of radio stations went up but number of subscribers did not go up significantly.
One important point to note here is, the conclusion specifies 'the number of verdlanders receiving the special program information '.
What can you assume from this?
if the people of verdland did not own rds equipped radios and hence no program update, we can safely say tthat inspite of increase in no of radio stations, no of people receiveing program updates did not rise much.

The negation of D, weakens the argument by saying that verlanders who own rds equipped radios can receive updates. if they can, then the conclusion is weakened.

Hope this helps.
tough one -- IMO -- B
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Shawshank Redemtion -- Hope is still alive ...

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:22 am
IMO D is correct. What is OA?
ruplun wrote:Radio Stations with radio data system (RDS) technolodgy broadcast special program information that only radios with an RDS feature can receive. Between 1994 and 1996, the number of RDS radio stations in Verdland increased from 250 to 600. However, since the number of RDS equipped radios in Verdland was about the same in 1996 as in 1994, the number of verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase significantly.

(A) Few if any of the RDS radio stations that began broadcasting in Verdland after 1994 broadcast to people with RDS-equipped radios living in areas not previously reached by RDS stations.
(B) In 1996 Verdlanders who lived within the listening area of an RDS station already had a radio equipped to receive RDS.
(C) Equipping a radio station with RDS technology does not decrease the station's listening area.
(D) In 1996 Verdlanders who did not own radios equipped to receive RDS could not receive any programming from the RDS radio stations that began broadcasting in Verdland after 1994.
(E) The RDS radio stations in Verdland in 1996 did not all offer the same type of programming.

Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kamalsinghy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:39 am
I concur with the problem sumitter. Ans must be A.

Conclusion: "number of verdlanders receiving SPI" did not increase significantly. (Even though number of RDS RS increased)

a. Number of RDS RS increased, but only few of them covered the areas that was not previously covered. Use denial test to verify your answer.

b. No statistics related information, so cannot assume it.

c. Illogical assumption.

d. This option is talking about verdlanders who did not own radios equipped with RDS technology, so out of scope(shell game asnwer).

e. Illogical assumption.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by diebeatsthegmat » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:08 am
ruplun wrote:Radio Stations with radio data system (RDS) technolodgy broadcast special program information that only radios with an RDS feature can receive. Between 1994 and 1996, the number of RDS radio stations in Verdland increased from 250 to 600. However, since the number of RDS equipped radios in Verdland was about the same in 1996 as in 1994, the number of verdlanders receiving the special program information probably did not increase significantly.

i think the answer should be D because if people in verdlanders could receive the program from radiostation, the number of verdlander receiving the special program information maybe stiull increasing while they dont own radios queippment, so the conclusion maybe will be wrong or wont happen.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:98 members

by Patrick_GMATFix » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:11 am
To receive the special information, you need an RDS station and an RDS radio. The passage argues that because the # of RDS radios is the same, the number of people receiving the info has not increased even though there are many more RDS stations.

This assumes everyone who had RDS radios in '94 was actually receiving RDS data. It could well be that although some people had RDS radios, they did not receive the data because there were no RDS station serving their area. If this were the case, now that there are new RDS stations, the number of people receiving the data will increase even though there are no new RDS radios.

[spoiler](A) is correct[/spoiler] because it points to this assumption: the new RDS stations do not cover previously under-served areas. If we negate this assumption and say that the new RDS station are broadcasting to people who have had RDS radios for a while but had no RDS coverage, it would destroy the argument that the # of people receiving RDS has not increase.

Negating the (A) damages the argument[spoiler], so (A) is the assumption (the correct answer)[/spoiler]

More detailed analysis of each answer can be found at GMATPrep Question 2380. To practice similar questions in timed drills, set the Drill Generator to topic='CR Assumptions' and difficulty='700+'

Hope that helped,
-Patrick
  • Ask me about tutoring.

Legendary Member

by reply2spg » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:52 am
IMO D is correct. What is OA?

After reading the explanation of all tutor I agree that A is correct. Language of option A is indeed very bad.

Here is how I thought about option A. There are 100 RDS equipped radios in Verdland. In 94, 95 people were getting special program information. 5 people are not getting special program information. As per the conclusion people who were receiving special program information probably did not increase significantly in 96.

Now, let's see option A. Option A says that stations, which started broadcasting after 94, broadcast to people who were not reached by previous stations. Keep in mind that passage says there no increase in the RDS equipped radios. That means new stations are reaching not only 95 people who were getting information in 94, but also 5 people those who were not getting information in 94. Means all 100 people are getting information now.

As per the assumption questions, if we insert this information then it will go well with the conclusion and also strengthen the conclusion.

In assumption question insert the each option in passage just before the conclusion. If that option goes with the passage then that is the answer.

Therefore, A is correct here

[/quote]
Sudhanshu

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:98 members

by Patrick_GMATFix » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:07 am
reply2spg wrote:IMO D is correct. What is OA?
The OA is A. See the link near the end of my previous post.
  • Ask me about tutoring.

Legendary Member

by reply2spg » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:51 am
Yes I agree with A
Patrick_GMATFix wrote:
reply2spg wrote:IMO D is correct. What is OA?
The OA is A. See the link near the end of my previous post.
Sudhanshu