CR - Cant reason the answer

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

CR - Cant reason the answer

by soumyopriyosaha » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:10 am
Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and thus do not require surgery, are given follow-up x-rays because their orthopedists are concerned about possibly having misjudged the stability of the fracture. When a number of follow-up x-rays were reviewed, however, all the fractures that had initially been judged stable were found to have
healed correctly. Therefore, it is a waste of money to order follow-up x-rays of ankle fracture initially judged stable.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?
A. Doctors who are general practitioners rather than orthopedists are
less likely than orthopedists to judge the stability of an ankle fracture
correctly.
B. Many ankle injuries for which an initial x-ray is ordered are revealed
by the x-ray not to involve any fracture of the ankle.
C. X-rays of patients of many different orthopedists working in several
hospitals were reviewed.
D. The healing of ankle fractures that have been surgically repaired is
always checked by means of a follow-up x-ray.
E. Orthopedists routinely order follow-up x-rays for fractures of bone
other than ankle bones.

OA: B

by punitkaur » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:57 am
the conclusion is that it i waste of money to order follow up x-rays. Comparing (A)the judgement of doctors to general practitioners does not strengthen this conclusion in any way
(C)Even if X-Rays of several hospitals were reviewed, it does not mean it is waste of money to order follow up X-Rays.
(D)This would actually weaken the conclusion as it is indicating that a follow up in necessary
(E)A stmt about bones other than for ankles does not strengthen the conclusion for ankle fractures

[spoiler](B)[/spoiler] is correct because it says that most of the injuries for which initial X-Rays are done do not involve fractures. So inspite of knowing that if follow up X rays are being done, then it is definitely waste of money. So it is strengthening the conclusion.

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

by maihuna » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:49 am
punitkaur wrote:the conclusion is that it i waste of money to order follow up x-rays. Comparing (A)the judgement of doctors to general practitioners does not strengthen this conclusion in any way
(C)Even if X-Rays of several hospitals were reviewed, it does not mean it is waste of money to order follow up X-Rays.
(D)This would actually weaken the conclusion as it is indicating that a follow up in necessary
(E)A stmt about bones other than for ankles does not strengthen the conclusion for ankle fractures

[spoiler](B)[/spoiler] is correct because it says that most of the injuries for which initial X-Rays are done do not involve fractures. So inspite of knowing that if follow up X rays are being done, then it is definitely waste of money. So it is strengthening the conclusion.
Punit but C is saying that data taken is from various doctors working under various hospitals so it is cutting down one alternative eplanation that data may be not representive so this also strenghthen. dont u think so
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Legendary Member

by pandeyvineet24 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:56 am
i agree with maihuna, i think B is out of scope because it does not even talk of ankle fractures. It only talks about ankle injuries. The conclusion of the argument is
"Therefore, it is a waste of money to order follow-up x-rays of ankle fracture initially judged stable."

I also chose C.

by fruti_yum » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:50 am
pandeyvineet24 wrote:i agree with maihuna, i think B is out of scope because it does not even talk of ankle fractures. It only talks about ankle injuries. The conclusion of the argument is
"Therefore, it is a waste of money to order follow-up x-rays of ankle fracture initially judged stable."

I also chose C.
I fell for B as well.. but ofcourse its C

IMO

by enniguy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:21 am
B negates the statement itself. B considers all those patients who haven't had fractures (Which was revealed by the x-ray) but the statement clearly says "Often patients with ankle fractures". Except C & B all other option seems out of scope. So i think it must be C.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by ssgmatter » Tue May 18, 2010 5:39 am
soumyopriyosaha wrote:Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and thus do not require surgery, are given follow-up x-rays because their orthopedists are concerned about possibly having misjudged the stability of the fracture. When a number of follow-up x-rays were reviewed, however, all the fractures that had initially been judged stable were found to have
healed correctly. Therefore, it is a waste of money to order follow-up x-rays of ankle fracture initially judged stable.

correctly.
hospitals were reviewed.
other than ankle bones.

I believe it is C for this one.

One reason I opted out B is that the arg talks about the ankle fractures but this option talks about the ankle injuries so making it out of scope.

Guys please confirm my logic of eliminating B here...

Thanks in advance!
Best-
Amit

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by ssgmatter » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:02 am
ssgmatter wrote:
soumyopriyosaha wrote:Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and thus do not require surgery, are given follow-up x-rays because their orthopedists are concerned about possibly having misjudged the stability of the fracture. When a number of follow-up x-rays were reviewed, however, all the fractures that had initially been judged stable were found to have

correctly.
hospitals were reviewed.
other than ankle bones.

I believe it is C for this one.

One reason I opted out B is that the arg talks about the ankle fractures but this option talks about the ankle injuries so making it out of scope.

Guys please confirm my logic of eliminating B here...

Thanks in advance!
Guys any thoughts no my reasoning for eliminating option B here.....Please share your thoughts!
Best-
Amit

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by hardik.jadeja » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:47 pm
The correct answer is indeed C.

The question is from OG Verbal Review. Here is the link:
https://books.google.co.in/books?id=W5XO ... &q&f=false

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Prashant Ranjan » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:24 pm
As @hardik has pointed out earlier the correct answer to this question is (C). This question is from Official Verbal review (Blue edition) and the OA is (C).

(B) is incorrect. The reason stated is "Naturally many ankle injuries do not involve fractures - x rays may sometimes be used to determine this - but the argument concerns only cases where there have been ankle fractures".

Here we don't know what is meant by "Many" and how many of the ankle injuries are ankle fractures. Moreover the apt reason for striking out this choice is - the argument only concerned with ankle fractures and not injuries".

(C) is correct. It strengthens the x-ray data that examined making it sufficiently representative of cases of ankle fracture judged to be stable by orthopedists. The answer choice adds the information that the data for the conclusion comes from many orthopedists working in many hospitals. So we have greater assurance that the x-ray data is representative, and hence the argument is made much stronger.

Thanks
Prashant

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by hjafferi » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:55 am
Chose B.

Thanks Prasanth for the explanation. Correct answer should be C

by jain2016 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:59 pm
Hi Experts ,

Please advise that why B is incorrect. I choose option B, but the OA is C.

Please explain.

Many thanks in advance.

SJ

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by peter456 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:29 am
jain2016 wrote:Hi Experts ,

Please advise that why B is incorrect. I choose option B, but the OA is C.

Please explain.

Many thanks in advance.

SJ
Pls go through the thread again from the start; i believe you will see why B is wrong.
Else, write back for further explanations