Followed by:7 members
GMAT Score:720

CR brutal q6

by rishab1988 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:31 pm

Legendary Member

by selango » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:24 pm
Rishab,

Please post the last few CR questions in the correct section.
--Anand--

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sanabk » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:07 pm

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by bakhshaliyev » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:39 pm
I think C is the answer...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by junegmat221 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:02 am
Well as far as my understanding goes,

After Peer Review->Medical Journal Publication->The research finding is made use of for General Public.

We are looking for an Assumption here.

C-> Is wrong Because it is explicitly specified in the passage.(Public is ill equipped to decide about the Research finding etc)
A-> Is wrong because, Only After Successful peer review, it is published in Medical Journal. This makes the opposite flow.
E-> Is Extreme. This tells, peer review panels are subject to some pressures which will eventually lead to some erroneous medical breakthrough which might necessarily not be good to the public as a whole.So the Conclusion is broken becuase of this.

After this i am stuck between the options.
D and B.

As far as my evaluation goes,
d->All medical research findings are subject to Pre publication review. This should be true. But the conclusion talks about the price(Delay because of Medical Research finding to be reviewed by Medical Research Panel) being paid. But true every medical research is subjected to Peer Subject Review. So this is not our concern.
B-> It talks about people outside the medical review panel cannot necessarily conclude on the Medical Research findings. If this is not true, why would a medical research finding in the first place given to peer review(Medical Review panel).I suppose this is correct.

[spoiler](But in the worst case i guess Medical Review Panel is not equivalent to Peer Review)..If its so, then my answer would be D.[/spoiler]

by rishab1988 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 am
This is an LSAT question.This question will blow away any OG assumption question.

Try harder guys!!!!!

by junegmat221 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:22 am
@Rishab,
I am sure that would be my best try even in exam circumstances..
Moreover, i need your suggestions to how to approach the assumption questions..
These questions are a real headache to me.
Between, i am curious to see the Official explanations..

by junegmat221 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:43 am
@Rishab,
Please post the OA along with explanations!
Thanks!!

by rishab1988 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:04 pm
The OA is A.For explnation, I leave it upto you guys.

It would be great if you guys request an expert to comment on this one.

Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:750

by fitzgerald23 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:39 pm
I believe the answer is A.

E is clearly wrong as it has nothing to do with the conclusion of the passage.

D also has nothing to do with the conclusion. Whether or not all are subject to peer review is not the issue. The issue is that by not subjecting the material to prepublication review harmful information can be given to the public.

C is completely wrong. The passage assumes that the medical journals are available to the public which is why they must be reviewed before being published.

B and A are tricky. I look at B as too broad. The use of the word anyone implies that everyone in the public or in the medical profession not on a panel cant handle the information. I dont believe that is what the author is saying in the writing. He is making a generalization that the public cant handle it, but he does not go into specifics about it. B is specific. If you are not a panel you cant understand it.

A is the one assumption that I believe the author makes. His assumption is that something is not factually correct until it goes through a prepublication peer review. He assumes that the findings would not have been reviewed by any other means and that it is the journal that is solely responsible for initiating a peer review process.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:09 pm
PM on this one asking for me to take a look. I was about to say that this is an LSAT question - looks like it has been scanned in! Then I saw that Rishab let us know that it is from the LSAT.

One interesting note: This is question 25 which means this was either the last of the next to the LSAT question in an LSAT CR section (October of 1993 Test). Questions at the very end of LSAT CR sections are difficult, but what they really are is long.

This is a long question, but we can make sense of it using just two words.

The first word is "Yet." When you get a negation word like this is a strengthen or weaken question it is very helpful. The conclusion and the important evidence (which I call the Most Important Premise) both have to come AFTER the hard transition (or negation) word. The author's conclusion simply cannot come before this negation. You cannot say "In conclusion you should do this" and then come back with a "Yet" or "but' or "however." The sentences that come before this hard transition are a statement of the belief of the opposition and are about to be contradicted. So when you see this you know, what I just read was only written so that it can be contradicted.

So when I see the word "yet", I know I only need to have a general impression of what came before "yet." So in this case some people think that it is bad to wait for a peer review. It is not even really important as to why they think it is bad to wait for a peer review because the "yet" tells me we are going to find out that waiting for peer review is actually good. I also know that the Most Important Premise and the Conclusion both have to come after "yet."

You should be on the lookout for these hard transition words on the GMAT - they are very frequent throughout the CR section. When found in strengthen, weaken, assumption, bold faced reasoning and other similar questions that have a conclusion in the stimulus they function as described above, they tell you that the conclusion and main evidence do not come before that word. When found on a paradox question the hard transition usually separates the two sides of the paradox (very helpful)!

The second important word is "therefore" which signals the conclusion. So these two words have provided the structure of this stimulus. We have the opposition's argument before the "yet." We have the Most Important Premise between "yet" and "therefore" and we have the conclusion after the "therefore."

The conclusion is that waiting for a peer review is the price that must be paid to protect the public from relying on "possibly substandard research." The Most Important Premise is that peer review prior to publication is the only way to protect the public since the public is not equipped to evaluate medical claims.

This argument does something that is very tricky. Do you see the difference between the Most Important Premise and the Conclusion? The premise says that an article needs peer review before publication. The conclusion (and remember that every word of the conclusion is important) states "waiting until a medical journal has published the research findings that has passed peer review is the price that must be paid." Now do you see? The premise does not mention a medical journal only peer review in general. Very sneaky.

This makes "A" the correct assumption. Without this assumption, there is not the necessary connection between the need for a peer review stated as fact in the premise and the medical journal that is mentioned not in the premise but in the conclusion.

nice job by fitzgerald23.

As Rishab says, tougher than anything on the GMAT, but lots of lessons for us to learn for the GMAT!!
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by danphan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:50 am
niceeee I got this one right :)