CPA exam and CA Accounting Programs

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

CPA exam and CA Accounting Programs

by justincbro » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:13 pm
Hi,

So here is a question for all those out there familiar with accounting programs within CALIFORNIA. I want to get a Masters degree in accounting (not looking at certificate programs) and want to relocate to CA. I have already started my application for USC--there program looks great. But, I want some backup plans in case I don't get in. I have a 3.1GPA (which I know is low) with a degree in Economics, but I have worked several years within the finance field and had some unique experiences (Peace Corps, etc), so I think I have a competitive application. Does anyone know of any other great one year programs I should consider?

Also, experts--should I widen my search to include two year MBA programs with a focus in accounting, such as UCLA's program?? They will be more expensive..and have a broader focus, so this worries me. I am primarily concerned with preparing myself for the CPA exam and want a school that provides this education, at an affordable price. What should I do?!?!?!

-j

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:780

by Spaceman Spiff » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:41 pm
If you want to work and live in CA, think hard before getting a masters in accounting. The main purpose of the 1 year masters in acc programs is to satisfy the education requirement for the CPA license in states that require 5 years of college. CA is one of the states that needs only 4 years, which is why there aren't many accounting masters programs in CA schools. In terms of job prospects, I had colleagues in public accounting with MS in Acc (one from TX and one from MA) who started @ the same staff level with the rest of us. Basically you'll learn more by working a year in public accounting than getting the masters.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by justincbro » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:29 am
Thanks, but I'm sure I need a masters degree because I want to qualify for certain government positions. I also don't have an undergraduate education in accounting, so I need to acquire the skills. I'm not really interested in public accounting, so I'm not concerned about that...but, Spaceman, what schools do you recommend for what I want to do in CA??