Couldn't get it done. Any tips?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Couldn't get it done. Any tips?

by navalpike » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:34 am
Hi ,

So I was hoping to come on here and scream at the top of my lungs how I killed the GMAT but unfortunately I am not able to do so. I actually had to 'cancel' the score. A little background - I have taken the test three times and my scores were 570, 620, & 660. This was last year. I started studying again this year in May. I wanted to take the test one last time and hope to get above a 700.

Since I had gone through most of the prep material the previous times, I really did not have much use for them. I also noticed that this form tackles and explains far, far, far more difficult questions than ANY test prep material. I literally went through each one of Ian Stewart's posts (the best math instructor I have ever known). I copied and pasted about 250 pages worth of his posts and went through each problem one at a time, multiple times. I did the same thing with Stuart's posts. I copied all of the explanations and strategies I learned on these forums and copied them on a word doc. as well. Together, everything made up about 600 pages. I MADE SURE that I went through each of them multiple times and understood the concept.

I took 5 kaplan tests. averaging around 700. ( I had already taken all of MGMAT tests previously). Then I took the full length GMAT PREP test 2 times each, again averaging around 700 - essays included. Since the questions were starting to repeat in considerably, I simply focused on the quant section because I wanted to see as many official quant problems as possible. I would keep re-installing the program and went through the quant section of each test 4 more times - each. Any problem that I had trouble with, I would come on here and understood the concept behind each of them. I felt completely ready for test day since this was around 9 times the effort I had put in previously and I had already gotten a 660 without this much effort.

On the test day, I was completely thrown back by how much the GMAT quant had changed. From the VERY beginning, I started to get lengthy (I mean a paragraph length) word problem - all DS. I immediately recognized the parallel between the OG 12 DS section on the test. Notice the NEW problems on OG 12 DS section. Notice how they are really lengthy, introducing multiple variable. I noticed that the GMAC is now focused on making it as difficult as possible for you to "set up" the problem and wants you to spend a lot of time on each. This was my worst nightmare. I had noticed the change in OG 12 DS, but I did not think that almost "every" problem would show up in this format.

I was literally shocked because here is how the DS section on the test broke down. About 4 Geometry problems, 0 inequalities, 0 probabilities, about 2 or three remainder problems. And the rest - lengthy word problems. If someone doesn't understand what I mean by lengthy word problems - check out OG 12 DS problems 120, 128, 161 etc. In fact, the last page of the DS section is considered the toughest. However, as you can see the questions are way too short in format. I did not see any of these. I really wish I had. I knew that I had bombed the quant section. So I just decided to cancel the score.

So, even though above is a little rambling and incoherent, I am really at a loss of words. Even though I understand pretty much every concept being tested, I simply do not know how I can tackle and prepare for these long problems. They are very intimidating. I immediately lose confidence when I see them. It takes far too long for me to "set them up". Worst, I simply do not know where I can go to get a lot of practice on them. Even this forum does not really focus enough on these type of "new" problems. I am already familiar with the ones in OG and GMAT PREP since I have done them a hundred times. If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks,

GMAT Score:710

by mike22629 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:43 am
Why did you cancel? I thought I bombed the quant section and got a 50.

by navalpike » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:52 am
Appreciate the reply.

I cancelled becuase I was simply not comfortable with the number of questions on which I guessed. I completely guessed on at least 12 problems. Furthermore, I did not have much confidence in at least 6 or 7 more problem that I did get through.

Again, remember that I had taken the test multiple times before. I usually gauge my success on the numbers of problems on which I am just compltely guessing. I am absolutely confident that I did not do well on the quant section. Again, my biggest concern is not the decision I made but rather how to improve.

GMAT Score:710

by mike22629 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:39 am
I understand you felt that you did not do well, but I ask because schools only consider your top score. Even if you got a 500, then later get a 720, the 720 is all they consider. So in my opinion you have nothing to lose in accepting your score.

As far as advice for the next time, I would suggest staying away from Kaplan materials. To put it plainly, the tests are not even close to accurate. I think you did the right thing by studying as many GMAT prep questions as possible.

Just remember, GMAC is good at catching you off guard with questions. I remember the first question I had was simple, but something I had never seen before so it tripped me up a bit. I still got it right, but it took me about 4 minutes.

Focus on understanding the concepts for math, but remember that they are going to ask you the questions in ways that you have probably not seen before.

In conclusion, you are probably just putting too much pressure on yourself during the test. Your practice tests suggest that you have a strong understanding of the material so just focus on staying relaxed during the test.

Like I said, I thought I did poorly on the quant section, but I kept telling myself not to worry because worst case scenario is that I take the test again. This calmed me and helped me achieve my target score (or close enough) on my first attempt. But remember, I got a 710 on one attempt. You can get a 720 on your fifth attempt and you are in a better position than me.

So good luck!

by navalpike » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:01 pm
Mike, Thanks for the reply and I agree with most of what you are saying.

I do feel, however, that once you start to get into the range of taking the exam more than 3 or 4 times, it can start to have an adverse effect on your application. It is my understanding that although the admission committees are only supposed to take your highest score into consideration, they are "aware" of your other scores. Therefore, a string of tests only looks good if one shows a consistent improvement, such as the one I have shown so far. But if my fourth test score had gone from 660 to 630 or something, then I am fairly sure that this would not have looked good.

If I am misunderanding or misinterpreting the selection committee process discussed in the above paragraph, then I am really hoping that an expert with a familiarity of this process can correct me. For example, how will the committee differentiate between two candidates - one who took the test and scored 750 on first try and another who scored 750 after 20 tries.

If someone has any other strategies regarding lengthy DS word problems, then I would love to hear your input.

Followed by:1 members

by ogbeni » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:26 pm
Dude,

First, your score of 660 coupled with a compelling and powerful application will get you into a top MBA program. So what schools do you have in mind to apply to? You don't necessarily need to break the 700 barrier.

Second, your confidence has taken a hit and you feel bummed. But guess what? You cannot change the past and have no power over it. What you do have power over, is the future. It is yours to shape. So do whatever you need to do to get your confidence up. Encourage yourself. Hey peep this Rocky video to get yourself amped up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuULcVaMTf0. As I read through your post, I could sense a fear of concepts. You cannot approach quant with fear - YOU WILL BE BEAT BEFORE TACKLING THE QUESTION. Remind yourself that you need a clear mind and that the problem can be solved.

Good luck man.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gmatismybane » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:49 pm
navalpike wrote:Mike, Thanks for the reply and I agree with most of what you are saying.

I do feel, however, that once you start to get into the range of taking the exam more than 3 or 4 times, it can start to have an adverse effect on your application. It is my understanding that although the admission committees are only supposed to take your highest score into consideration, they are "aware" of your other scores. Therefore, a string of tests only looks good if one shows a consistent improvement, such as the one I have shown so far. But if my fourth test score had gone from 660 to 630 or something, then I am fairly sure that this would not have looked good.

If I am misunderanding or misinterpreting the selection committee process discussed in the above paragraph, then I am really hoping that an expert with a familiarity of this process can correct me. For example, how will the committee differentiate between two candidates - one who took the test and scored 750 on first try and another who scored 750 after 20 tries.

If someone has any other strategies regarding lengthy DS word problems, then I would love to hear your input.
I am taking the GMAT this weekend, so take my advice with a grain of salt. A lot of the time, with DS problems, I don't really bother to solve it out. I try to categorize the type of problem, and see if I have enough info to intuitively answer the question. So with long word problems, I find it easier to just translate the problem into a formula. Solving it to solidify the answer is a huge waste of effort more often than not. I am sure I miss more problems than the 51s scorers on here, but I am not fast enough to solve every problem on the GMAT in under 2 mins so I make due with what I can.