Could you please evaluate my profile?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Could you please evaluate my profile?

by mahen_gupta » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:59 am
GMAT - 730/5.5/Verbal-39/Quant-50 (This was my 3rd attempt. Prior Scores were 620 and 660)
Academics - Indian percentage system; Does not follow US GPA. Excellent record. Always been in top 10% of class. Completed graduation with Honors.
Degree - Electrical Engineering
Extra Curricular- not impressive
Work Ex - 10 Years, First 6 Years in IT Consulting. For last 4 years, working with a large US insurance company in IT support as a Project Manager. Working in US for more than 6 years.
Age - 32
MBA Aspirations - Secured admission in India's Top most MBA program. Want to go for a top tier school in US.

Question - I want to move on to business consulting and to secure this kind of profile, I want to leverage my experience as an IT consultant( 6+ years) and my excellent insurance industry knowledge.
1) Given that most of the top tier US schools have an average age of 27-28 years for their MBA programs; does it make sense at this stage in life to go for a 2 year MBA program?
2) Also, Do I stand a chance for top-10 MBA programs?
3) Do people in my age group stand equal chance in the palcements?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionSusanK » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:30 pm
Hi, Mahen,

Thanks for sending on your information. As you reference, most MBA applicants have on average 4-6 years of work experience. So you are on the higher end of the range. Many people with your years of experience apply to an Executive MBA program, however, that is the appropriate track for moving up within your current field not switching careers. For the MBA program, you will want to present your career goals in a compelling way to the admissions committee. You will also need to address why this switch and why an MBA at this point in your career. You will certainly want to pull examples from your experience to date to show you have a solid foundation in consulting and other skills/experiences relevant to business consulting that indicate you will be successful in this direction. Your academic measures (GMAT and GPA) are within the range of top 10 programs. Make sure you do the research to find the ones that are a best fit for what you need to learn, teaching style, location, etc. While you mention that you don't have much for extracurriculars, you can also build in examples from informal volunteer work or personal stories that show your passions and demonstrate your character to the admissions committee.

Good luck!

Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php