corruption

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

corruption

by gmat_dec » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:01 am
Most developing nations in Africa collect taxes at 40% rates a year; corruption by military and civilian administration consumes approximately 31 of the 40%, while the balance of 9% is spent on development of impoverished citizens.

A. corruption by military and civilian administration consumes approximately 31 of the 40 % , while the balance of 9 % is spent on
B. even though corruption from military and civilian administration consumes approximately 31 of the 40 % , the remainder of 9 % is spent on
C. although corruption from military and civilian administration consume approximately 31 of the 40 % , the balance of 9 % is being spent on
D. with corruption from military and civilian administration to consume approximately 31 % , the rest of the 9 % is spending on
E. as corruption from military and civilian administration consumes approximately 31 of the 40 % , the rest of the 9 % would be spent on

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:07 am
gmat_dec wrote:Most developing nations in Africa collect taxes at 40% rates a year; corruption by military and civilian administration consumes approximately 31 of the 40%, while the balance of 9% is spent on development of impoverished citizens.

A. corruption by military and civilian administration consumes approximately 31 of the 40 % , while the balance of 9 % is spent on
B. even though corruption from military and civilian administration consumes approximately 31 of the 40 % , the remainder of 9 % is spent on
C. although corruption from military and civilian administration consume approximately 31 of the 40 % , the balance of 9 % is being spent on
D. with corruption from military and civilian administration to consume approximately 31 % , the rest of the 9 % is spending on
E. as corruption from military and civilian administration consumes approximately 31 of the 40 % , the rest of the 9 % would be spent on
I guess it would be A only since a semi-colon is in place
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by prinit » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:10 am
gmat_dec wrote:Most developing nations in Africa collect taxes at 40% rates a year; corruption by military and civilian administration consumes approximately 31 of the 40%, while the balance of 9% is spent on development of impoverished citizens.

My pick is A. Both parts separated by (semicolon) are able to stand on their own. If subordinate structure is formed, the later part will be dependent on the previous one. OA pls.
I'm here to BTG :)

Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:580

by beat_gmat_09 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:11 am

Logic + Verb Tense
C - being spent improper tense (should be simple present)
D - spending on same as C
E - would be spent on same as C

B - remainder of 9% (does not follow what the sentence wants to say, remaining 9% is spent not remainder of 9%)
I'll go with A

GMAT Score:580

by beat_gmat_09 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:40 am
OA ?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmat_dec » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:49 am
OA A.
is the use of even though fine after a semi colon?

by prinit » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:06 am
gmat_dec wrote:OA A.
is the use of even though fine after a semi colon?
even though will not fit here, because in this way you will make the later part dependent i.e. the part after the semicolon.
I'm here to BTG :)

Legendary Member

by rockeyb » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:38 am
[The sentence mainly checks for semicolon rule and subordinator . The rule says when a two main clause are joined by semicolon then each clause should be a main clause that is each clause should be able to stand on its own.

Ex : John goes to school ; he rides home in the afternoon.

The sentence are connected to each other yet each part can be an independent sentence.

Similarly when two clauses are joined by a subordinator in that case one clause is a main clause and other is called the dependent clause .Words such as Although , because, even though are called subordinators and should always be followed by comma and never a semicolon.

Ex : Although I am tired , I have to finish my work.

In this case "Although I am tired" can not stand alone on its own . ]

A. corruption by military and civilian administration consumes approximately 31 of the 40 % , while the balance of 9 % is spent on[correct]
B. even though corruption from military and civilian administration consumes approximately 31 of the 40 % , the remainder of 9 % is spent on[even tough creates a subordinator ]
C. although corruption from military and civilian administration consume approximately 31 of the 40 % , the balance of 9 % is being spent on[although creates a subordinate clause]
D. with corruption from military and civilian administration to consume approximately 31 % , the rest of the 9 % is spending on[corruption(singular) need singular verb consumes , eliminate. ]
E. as corruption from military and civilian administration consumes approximately 31 of the 40 % , the rest of the 9 % would be spent on[wrong tense , would indicates future tense.]
"Know thyself" and "Nothing in excess"