Attachments
gmat prep sc1.png

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:58 am
Hi kartikc11,

This SC is based on a Comparison (and by extension, a 2-part Parallel phrase); there is one idiom/style rule though.

Any time a prompt implies a comparison, we MUST compare "like" things AND we must do so in Parallel "format" (the "order" of each set of words has to be the same). Here, we're meant to compare "minority graduates" to "other graduates" AND we have to make sure that the format matches.

In answer A, the format is wrong: "minority graduates ARE.....ARE other graduates" is NOT parallel.

The phrase "likely....TO" is the idiom that applies here.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:08 am
According to a survey of graduating medical students conducted by the Association of American Medical Colleges, minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas.

(A) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than are other graduates in planning to practice
(B) minority graduates are nearly four times more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing
(C) minority graduates are nearly four times as likely as other graduates to plan on practicing
(D) it is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates rather than other graduates will plan to practice
(E) it is nearly four times as likely for minority graduates than other graduates to plan to practice
A: minority graduates are more likely...in planning
Here, likely in planning is unidiomatic.
Correct: X is more likely than Y TO do Z.
Eliminate A.

B: minority graduates are more likely than other graduates who plan on practicing
Here, the comparison is unclear: minority graduates are more likely to do WHAT exactly?
Eliminate B.

D: more likely...rather than
Here, rather is unnecessary and unidiomatic.
It is sufficient to say X is more likely than Y.
Eliminate D.

E: as likely...than
Here, as likely than is unidiomatic.
Correct: X is as likely AS Y.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is C.
In answer A, the format is wrong: "minority graduates ARE.....ARE other graduates" is NOT parallel.
When clauses are compared, the verb in the second clause often precedes the subject.
The following is an OA to an SC in GMATPrep:
The patterns of stress that girls experience ARE more likely to result in depression than ARE those that boys experience.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3