corp

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:720

corp

by maihuna » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:07 am
The computer company's present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it.
A. so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it.
B. so that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct
C. in that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them
D. that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct
E. that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Legendary Member

by pandeyvineet24 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:57 am
D IMO.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Beat-D-GMAT » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:03 pm
I go for E.

OA plz.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

IMO

by xcusemeplz2009 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:10 pm
IMO C
It does not matter how many times you get knocked down , but how many times you get up

by srivas » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:56 pm
it, them are confusing

between B & D it is D
Gmat710,, Hyd

Legendary Member

by vivek.kapoor83 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:27 pm
imO d...OA PLS

Legendary Member

by maihuna » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:33 am
vivek.kapoor83 wrote:imO d...OA PLS
No OA until you post reasoning behind options. No point IMO's publishing.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by cooline » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:23 am

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

D

by sunnyjohn » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:43 am
D

Here is my explanation:
On a Serious node, I did not understand the Question at all, But its good to investigate such Question.

First of all I eliminated A
Reason : 'IT' : there is no singular item here.

Second I eliminated:
Attempt to : Correct idiom.
So B,C and E are out.

I left with D.

by mruzeful » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:59 pm
OA..?

by riteshbindal » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:01 pm
C IMO. OA plz

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by poker » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:38 pm
The computer company's present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it.

IMO the answer should be E.

The subject is troubles... plural, this implies that the pronoun referring to troubles can not be it...so look for the pronouns that correpond to troubles, it is them. 'It' shall refer to the company and not the troubles??? :) [/i]

Secondly, forget about the phrase are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders - which leaves The computer company's present troubles are - that several attempts.....

i doubt the formation of 'in that' in option C. Please correct me!

Legendary Member

Re: corp

by nervesofsteel » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:07 am
maihuna wrote:The computer company's present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it.
A. so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it.
B. so that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct
C. in that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them
D. that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct
E. that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them
IMO D

A. so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it. pronoun reference error
B. so that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct . <- so that doesn't refer to "technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders"

C. in that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them< - same as B

D. that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct <- That refers to "technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders" which are being corrected..

E. that several attempts at revising corporate strategies have failed to correct them <- use of them is wrong..

OA plz

Legendary Member

Re: corp

by maihuna » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:13 am
nervesofsteel wrote:
maihuna wrote:The computer company's present troubles are a result of technological stagnation, marketing missteps, and managerial blunders so that several attempts to revise corporate strategies have failed to correct it. is wrong..

OA plz
Sorry I do not have OA. D is a close answer that I too choosed but seems the source says it is wrong. I have asked expert to chip in let us hear from them. I am so sorrt

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

The Official Answer from the blue book -

by cccmom » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:56 am
The correct answer is D. Is is from the blue (verbal guide) book, #84.

It helps me to change the sentence some to see it. I couldn't see it because the series. This speaks to the strategy of removing the fluff, so you can disect the sentence. Once I took at the series, it was easier to read.

Here is how I saw it - " My present troubles are a result of studying that is driving me crazy!" I thought you needed the "in that" but the oficial explanation says the "in that' should only be used if there is a follow up indicating how the two relate (the company's troubles and the three listed problems.). Going back to my no fluff verision, I would not say, "My present troubles are a result of studying in that is driving me crazy!"