coordinate plane question

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:20 members

coordinate plane question

by sana.noor » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:39 am
Arrow AB, which is a line segment exactly 5 units long with an arrowhead at A, is to be constructed in the xy plane. the x and y coordinates of A and B are to be integers that satisfy inequalities
0 < or = X = or < 9
0 < or = Y = or < 9
How many different arrows with these properties can be constructed?
1) 50
2) 168
3) 200
4) 368
5) 536

Work hard in Silence, Let Success make the noise.

If you found my Post really helpful, then don't forget to click the Thank/follow me button. :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:86 members

by Anju@Gurome » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:40 am
The arrow can be either horizontal or vertical or diagonal.

# Horizontal Arrows:
y-coordinates of A and B will be same.
For any y-coordinate, their x-coordinates can be any of the following pairs (0, 5), (5, 0), (1, 4), (4, 1), (2, 6), (6, 2), (3, 8), (8, 3), (4, 9), and (9, 4).
So, for any y-coordinate 10 horizontal arrows are possible.
There are 10 possible y-coordinates.
Hence, total number of horizontal arrows = 10*10 = 100

# Vertical Arrows:
By the same logic as above, total number of vertical arrows = 10*10 = 100

# Diagonal Arrows:
To get a diagonal arrow of length 5, we have to form a right-angled triangle whose hypotenuse is 5. Only such triangle with integral coordinates must have the lengths of other sides as 3 and 4.
Refer to the figure below,
We can arrows with positive slope (red line) or arrows with negative slope (blue line)

Let us consider the arrows with positive slopes.
Note that for any particular bottom end point, we can have two diagonal line segments with positive slope of length 5 :
  • A. base = 3, height = 4
    OR
    B. base = 4 and height = 3
So, if we fix the coordinate of the bottom endpoint, we will automatically get two diagonal line segments with positive slope of length 5.

For case A,
  • The x-coordinate of the bottom end point can be any of the following : 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6
    The y-coordinate of the bottom end point can be any of the following : 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5

Possible number of diagonal line segments with positive slope of length 5 = 7*6 = 42
For case B,
  • The x-coordinate of the bottom end point can be any of the following : 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5
    The y-coordinate of the bottom end point can be any of the following : 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6

Possible number of diagonal line segments with positive slope of length 5 = 6*7 = 42
A total of (42 + 42) = 84
Now, we can put the arrowhead in either end of the line segment.
Hence, total number of diagonal arrows with positive slope of length 5 = 2882 = 168

Similarly, there will be 168 diagonal arrows with negative slope of length 5.

Hence, total number of possible arrows of length 5 = (100 + 100 + 168 + 168) = 536

The correct answer is E.
Last edited by Anju@Gurome on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anju Agarwal
Quant Expert, Gurome

Backup Methods : General guide on plugging, estimation etc.
Wavy Curve Method : Solving complex inequalities in a matter of seconds.

§ GMAT with Gurome § Admissions with Gurome § Career Advising with Gurome §

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:700

by hemant_rajput » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:15 am
Anju@Gurome wrote: For case A,
  • The x-coordinate of the bottom end point can be any of the following : 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7
    The y-coordinate of the bottom end point can be any of the following : 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6

Possible number of diagonal line segments with positive slope of length 5 = 7*6 = 42
For case B,
  • The x-coordinate of the bottom end point can be any of the following : 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, and 7
    The y-coordinate of the bottom end point can be any of the following : 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7
you've taken the value of x and y to max 7 and max 6, but if horizontal and vertical distance are limit to be of length 3 and length 4 or vice-versa then x and y can go to max of 6 and 5 or vice-versa.

Can you please explain this?
I'm no expert, just trying to work on my skills. If I've made any mistakes please bear with me.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Anju@Gurome » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:58 am
hemant_rajput wrote:you've taken the value of x and y to max 7 and max 6, but if horizontal and vertical distance are limit to be of length 3 and length 4 or vice-versa then x and y can go to max of 6 and 5 or vice-versa.

Can you please explain this?
You're absolutely correct.
I've calculated a total of 6 and 7 possible co-ordinates but while writing down the possible values of co-ordinates, by mistake I have included '6' and '7' as the maximum values.
Edited my reply.
Anju Agarwal
Quant Expert, Gurome

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by mariofelixpasku » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:51 am
theres a lot of calculus to be done. can be expect sthg like that on the real gmat ?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by Anju@Gurome » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:27 am
mariofelixpasku wrote:theres a lot of calculus to be done. can be expect sthg like that on the real gmat ?
I think you meant to say 'calculations', calculus is a different thing and beyond the scope of GMAT.

Anyway, this problem is not at all calculation intensive. There are a number of problems in OG itself that asks for much more calculation than this one. However, this one is a bit lengthy as we need to consider different possible scenarios. GMAT generally do not ask to solve lengthy problems. However, we can expect similar problems based on the concepts of counting lines/triangles with integral coefficients on the coordinate plane. For example >> https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-12-229-60 ... tml#612443
Anju Agarwal
Quant Expert, Gurome