Coordinate Geometry Probability

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Coordinate Geometry Probability

by shivanigs » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:48 am
Hi,

Request help with the following question.Thanks..

Point P (a,b) is randomly selected within the region enclosed by the following lines : 3y + 2x = 6, x=0 and y = 0. What is the probability that b>a ?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:19 am
The possible points are:

(0,0)
(0,1)
(0,2)
(1,0)
(1,1)
(2,0)

answer would be 1/3 assuming the edges can be used and we are only dealing with integers. This questions has a few holes in it though.
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:74 members
GMAT Score:770

by Whitney Garner » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:24 am
shivanigs wrote:Hi,

Point P (a,b) is randomly selected within the region enclosed by the following lines : 3y + 2x = 6, x=0 and y = 0. What is the probability that b>a ?
Hi Shivanings!

The way the problem is currently written puts this well outside of the scope of GMAT-likely questions, but it might be fun to investigate the concepts none-the-less. Now, Jim is exactly right about listing the possible Point's for P, but that assumes that a and b are integers (something your problem did not specify). So in order to figure out this probability, we will have to approach this in a slightly different way. I will need to assume that the point (a,b) can lie on the lines listed or this gets into some really ugly theoretical math that we just don't want to bother with in this forum (a graduate math class would be a better option).

So, let's start by graphing the space in question - bounded by the lines 3y+2x=6, x=0, and y=0. To make this easy, let's find the intercepts for the 3y+2x=6 line by setting each value (x and y) equal to zero and calculating the corresponding value.

3y+2(0)=6 --> 3y=6 --> y=2
so when x=0, y=2... (0,2) is a point on the line

3(0)+2x=6 --> 2x=6 --> x=3
so when y=0, x=3... (3,0) is a point on the line.

The line x=0 would be all points where the x value is 0, so this is actually the Y-axis, and the converse is true for the line y=0. So the graph would like like the following, with the region shaded in green.

Now, we want the probability that b>a. In other words, I want all of the points in that triangle where the Y-coordinate is larger than the X-coordinate. The only way to find these would be to understand the concept of the line x=y. This is a diagonal line from the origin, with a positive slope that cuts the 3rd and 1st quadrants exactly in half (the red line in the image below). Along this line, the points share the trait that the x and y values are the same - e.g. (1,1), (0.5,0.5), (3.2,3.2), etc. To the left of (or above) this line are all the points where the y-values are greater than the x-values, and to the right is the exact opposite.

So, when we want to find the probability that our Point P (a,b) will have b>a, then we want to find the probability that the point lies to the left of the x=y line in our shaded area. Now we have to add the idea of probability as an area. What fraction of the total area of the shaded region is to the left of the red line? This means we will have to find the areas of both the large shaded region (triangle) and the smaller region to the left (also a triangle). To find the area of the whole triangle isn't too bad.

1/2(base)(height) = 1/2(3)(2) = 3.

But how do we find the area of the small triangle? We have to get creative to find our base and our height. Remember, the height has to hit one of the corners and then drop to the opposite side at a 90-degree angle. So what if we draw it with the following (the pink dashed line). The base of that small triangle would be 2 (the base is now vertically oriented), and the height would be whatever the x-coordinate is for that point.

So now comes the last big cognitive leap - how to find points of intersection. Well, to find where 2 lines intersect, we really just need to solve the system of equations for those 2 lines. We have 3y+2x=6 and x=y, so why don't we substitute in for y...

3(x) + 2x = 6
5x = 6
x = 6/5 (since this point is on the line x=y, the corresponding y would also be y=6/5, pretty nice huh!)

Okay, so the small triangle has an area 1/2(2)(6/5) = 6/5.

The probability of falling in this triangle out of the entire region is just the fraction of the total area made up of this area:

AreaSmallTriangle/AreaWholeTriangle = (6/5)/(3) = (6/5)*(1/3) = 2/5, 0.4 or 40%.

To check your work (when practicing at home) it might be nice to find the area of the other triangle to verify that it gives you a probability of 60%. (Hint: drop a height from the same point to the x-axis this time...now we have a triangle with base 3 and height 6/5, when you calculate its area and the fraction of the total area, do you get 60%? - you should!!)

I hope this helps, but please note that a problem with this many steps and this many layers will only show up on the GMAT at the very hardest of levels, and at that point I don't care about getting it right! Remember, to get a great score the key is to knock out the easy stuff - we don't really care how we do on the hardest problems!!

Hope this helps!
:)
Whit
Whitney Garner
GMAT Instructor & Instructor Developer
Manhattan Prep

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Math is a lot like love - a simple idea that can easily get complicated :)

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:34 am
shivanigs wrote:Hi,

Rephrase 3y+2x = 6 as y = (-2/3)x + 2.
DRAW:

The region enclosed by 3y+2x=6, x=0, and y=0 is ∆ACE.
The area of ∆ACE = (1/2)(AE)(AC) = (1/2)(3)(2) = 3.

Above the line y=x are all points such that y>x.
Every point in ∆ACD is above the line y=x.
Thus, if point P (a,b) is inside ∆ACD, then b>a.

To determine the coordinates of point D -- the point at which y=x and 3y+2x=6 intersect -- substitute y=x into 3y+2x=6:
3y + 2y = 6
y = 6/5.

Thus, the area of ∆ACD = (1/2)(AC)(BD) = (1/2)(2)(6/5) = 6/5.

Thus, P(b>a) = ∆ACD/∆ACE = (6/5)/3 = 2/5.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by shivanigs » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:11 pm
Dear Whitney and GmatGuru,both of you guys are simply amazing..thanks a ton!

Btw..Whitney,thank you so much for making the effort to post such a detailed explanation,it really helped clear a lot of my concepts on cood geometry! Truly appreciate it :-)