Constructed with finest italian marble---comparison

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:34 pm
@rohu

Thanks for the link..it helped and i think the pronoun ambiguity in Op A is not that severe to reject it...as logically Its refer to church not floor...

Ex:- Ravi came to Ram house and said that, he won the election.

In this sentence pronoun ambiguity is serious as logically HE can be anyone and both the case the sentence does mean something...while in Op A, its referring to floor doesn't make any sense...
But, since this is not an OG question we can ignore this question.

About OpB, someone suggested that its a case of Absolute phrase, but the use of reflexive pronoun makes it unclear..

@tetura84

Can u please explain your point "fragment and phrase thing" for Op A...???i don't think there is any error related to this in Op A..

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by champmag » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:40 pm
Hey people

No typo errors here...this is the original question from kaplan 800. The answer is B. The 'its' in option A,B,C,D are adding to pronoun abiguity. Not sure whether 'its' referring to the floor of the church or the church itself.'Church's stained glass windows' in option E is violating the parallel structure of the sentence as told by Becky.

If 'its' referring to the floor of the chuch then the comparison is not valid. If its referring to the church itself then the pronoun doesn't make it clear. Which answer to mark in such a case if we encounter a problem like this. Rons says that SC is all about zeroing on to not the perfect but the best possible option. Really need his advice here.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by tetura84 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:46 pm
atulmangal wrote: @tetura84

Can u please explain your point "fragment and phrase thing" for Op A...???i don't think there is any error related to this in Op A..
Constructed with the finest italian marble, the floor of the church is its greatest attraction
and is more attractive to tourists than are its ornate stained-glass windows.
Let's look at X and Y
In case of ||ism, X and Y must be grammatically and logically parallel.
X = attractive to tourists - this is a phrase, no subject-verb
Y = are its ornate stained-glass windows = this is a fragment, we have a verb "are" , but no subject.

I think X and Y cannot be compared in this case.
78 clicks can change my life !