Congrats to the Week 1 Winners!

500 prizes worth $100,000!
This topic has expert replies
Site Admin
Followed by:29 members

Congrats to the Week 1 Winners!

by DavidP » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:05 pm
Just wanted to let everyone know that we just finished the Winners page. We just gave out 159 awards worth a total of $22.5K! Go to the Winners page https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/100k/winners to see if you've won!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by puikihung » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:42 pm
I clicked share, but it didn't show on my fb? how can i re-share?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ramannjit » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:14 pm
Thanks David!

Thank you very much! BTG:)

Awaiting for official mail. I have shared it on facebook.

If you need any setting changes there, please let me know or if anything is not visible.

Thanks a lot :)
Ramannjit

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by shashank.ism » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:44 pm
Hey david I am having a few problems....
Some of your bonuses links which I already shared on my fbk....directly shows that "you earned * points" but actually there is no increment in points.....
that's a flaw...
for eg for this post : https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/05/ ... get-set-go .. it shows me you earned 8 points(not everytime) ...well I never got it....that's why i messaged you too..
and my points for 2nd week is low due to this reason..please check this flaw.........
My Websites:
www.mba.webmaggu.com - India's social Network for MBA Aspirants

www.deal.webmaggu.com -India's online discount, coupon, free stuff informer.

www.dictionary.webmaggu.com - A compact free online dictionary with images.

Nothing is Impossible, even Impossible says I'm possible.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by frank1 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:49 pm
Thanks...
Congratulation to all winners....It is great oppurtunities to many ....really great concept and must thank for it..

But having said that,
I may be totally wrong and i know it is too early to comment on ....from the first round these are are some of my obeservation ...just personal .....i may not be right.Its just my personal opinion.
1)Higher the point greater chance of winning is myth....or it is not as it simple as it sounds.......or even 10 points person does have chance of winning grand prizes....

2)We can remove feeds after it has been published in the facebook from facebook wall.My profile is filled with likes and feeds...lol ...no problems in that...but i know the person who have removed all the feeds after it has been published and have still won grand prize

3)Forum and contest are totally separate.It doesnt matter the wheather the account was just created for this contest.No mimimum forum post is required.

4)Indian names are sometimes good for the contest....Just what i have felt from some contests...lol...may not be true...(i also adhere by the fact that there may be large number of indian participants...but it is not always the case i guess...)

5)Single user can win 2 separate prizes from same draw with in a week....(i dont know if there are totally separate persons as there is no link ...but i could see 2-3 names winning multiple prizes...as on 6th oct 2010 12pm...)

any way congratulation to all winners that their effort has resulted into good colors....
personally i feel bit disappointed as i lost i know winning and losing is part of game....it is good that at least i am learning and that is what i was here for......lol...my name is frank and i have to be frank....

thanks
congratulation once again...
still be still learning through gaming....
GMAT score is equally counted as your GPA and 78 clicks can change you life.

Site Admin

by DavidP » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:36 am
do you mean that the share for redeeming your prize didn't show up in your fb? if so, i can reset your prize so that you can share and them redeem it again. please let me know if i understood your question correctly. thanks!
puikihung wrote:I clicked share, but it didn't show on my fb? how can i re-share?

Site Admin

by DavidP » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:37 am
Your welcome Ramannjit! We'll be sending out emails by tomorrow at the latest about how to actually get your prizes.
ramannjit wrote:Thanks David!

Thank you very much! BTG:)

Awaiting for official mail. I have shared it on facebook.

If you need any setting changes there, please let me know or if anything is not visible.

Thanks a lot :)

Site Admin

by DavidP » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:39 am
hi shashank.ism, sorry for not getting back to you sooner. i just checked out your account. there is no record in the database of you liking or sharing the link https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/05/ ... get-set-go. and so you shouldn't see the "you earned * points" notification for that article at all.
shashank.ism wrote:Hey david I am having a few problems....
Some of your bonuses links which I already shared on my fbk....directly shows that "you earned * points" but actually there is no increment in points.....
that's a flaw...
for eg for this post : https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/05/ ... get-set-go .. it shows me you earned 8 points(not everytime) ...well I never got it....that's why i messaged you too..
and my points for 2nd week is low due to this reason..please check this flaw.........

by agulley » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:57 am
Just wanted to say a BIG THANKS for this fabulous challenge - I just scheduled my test yesterday for the end of December so this was a nice way to start my morning knowing I have access to these great tools courtesy of BTG! Thanks again!

Site Admin

by DavidP » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:15 am
hi frank,

thanks for all your feedback. below are my responses:

1. the more points that you have, the more chances you have of winning. the server does a separate drawing for each prize. so on sunday, our server did 159 separate drawings because there were 159 prizes. here's how the algorithm for each drawing works.

a. select list of eligible players. all players are eligible if they meet the following criteria: a) player earned at least 1 point in the drawing period, b) player is not a beat the gmat admin (beatthegmat, beakim, DanaJ, DavidP), c) player didn't already win a prize that has the same type. players can win multiple prizes of different types (e.g., GMAT course and books). but they can't win multiple prizes of the same type.

b. assign tickets to each player. players get 1 ticket for each point that they earned in the drawing period.

c. randomly select 1 ticket using php's array_rand() function to pick a winner.

as a result of this algorithm, a player with 100 points has 100 times the chance of winning a prize vs. a player with only 1 point. but it's still possible for a player with 1 points to win in the unlikely yet possible case that the server picks his ticket.

2. i'm not sure what you mean when you say: "but i know the person who have removed all the feeds after it has been published and have still won grand prize." first, we haven't given out the grand prize yet - that happens in late october. second, if someone deletes all their shares/likes from their fb wall, then they won't be able to win the grand prize. we have made it very explicit in the rules that we are going to verify that shares/likes exist on the winner's wall before giving them the grand prize. we're going to verify it by first becoming a facebook friend with the winner and then checking their wall. if there are a lot of missing shares and likes, then we'll disqualify that player and pick another winner. in addition to making this explicit in the rules, i've also made it very explicit in the award notification.

3. you're right. forum posting and the contest are totally separate for now. we may add some element of forum contribution in the next couple weeks. but if we do so, it'll be very limited. we did this because having a high-stakes contest based on forum contribution creates lot of problems. specifically, many players start gaming the system by creating multiple fake accounts and by posting low quality messages on the forum just so that they can earn points. so then the forum becomes much less useful.

4. i hope that you're not suggesting that we're racist in how we pick winners. but just to clear up any potential misunderstanding, you should know that there's no advantage for having an indian name or not having an indian name. our server simply picks winners based on the algorithm that i described above. the server has no idea or preference about a winner's nationality.

5. a single player can win multiple prizes in a single week so long as the prizes are of different types. in fact, at least one player won 4 prizes in the first week.

david

frank1 wrote:Thanks...
Congratulation to all winners....It is great oppurtunities to many ....really great concept and must thank for it..

But having said that,
I may be totally wrong and i know it is too early to comment on ....from the first round these are are some of my obeservation ...just personal .....i may not be right.Its just my personal opinion.
1)Higher the point greater chance of winning is myth....or it is not as it simple as it sounds.......or even 10 points person does have chance of winning grand prizes....

2)We can remove feeds after it has been published in the facebook from facebook wall.My profile is filled with likes and feeds...lol ...no problems in that...but i know the person who have removed all the feeds after it has been published and have still won grand prize

3)Forum and contest are totally separate.It doesnt matter the wheather the account was just created for this contest.No mimimum forum post is required.

4)Indian names are sometimes good for the contest....Just what i have felt from some contests...lol...may not be true...(i also adhere by the fact that there may be large number of indian participants...but it is not always the case i guess...)

5)Single user can win 2 separate prizes from same draw with in a week....(i dont know if there are totally separate persons as there is no link ...but i could see 2-3 names winning multiple prizes...as on 6th oct 2010 12pm...)

any way congratulation to all winners that their effort has resulted into good colors....
personally i feel bit disappointed as i lost i know winning and losing is part of game....it is good that at least i am learning and that is what i was here for......lol...my name is frank and i have to be frank....

thanks
congratulation once again...
still be still learning through gaming....

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by sandeep800 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:30 am
Thanx a Lot David!!!:)

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by frank1 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:44 am
DavidP wrote:hi frank,

b. assign tickets to each player. players get 1 ticket for each point that they earned in the drawing period.

as a result of this algorithm, a player with 100 points has 100 times the chance of winning a prize vs. a player with only 1 point. but it's still possible for a player with 1 points to win in the unlikely yet possible case that the server picks his ticket.
Well really thanks....frankly i am really less disappointed and more convinced after i have read all your thoughts....and thanks for making all the procedures clear....i am really impressed and thankful for it....

1)Then in that case i think i was very very unlucky in this case and some guys were more than lucky ...i could see 57 point (who has 3.5 less time possibilities winning main prizes) and many winning multiple prizes.....They are very lucky then...

as much as i have known array_rand.....normally data are not repetated if there are less than 10,000 elements in array(debated but tested) and as the number of elements increases the repetation increases...
So if 130 is average score of all users ...each counted as 1...then there are 130x600=78000....
Now i see...It is one cause same people are being drawn....(but as rules allows not a problem i guess...)
more here.. https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=45301

DavidP wrote: 2. i'm not sure what you mean when you say: "but i know the person who have removed all the feeds after it has been published and have still won grand prize." first, we haven't given out the grand prize yet - that happens in late october. second, if someone deletes all their shares/likes from their fb wall, then they won't be able to win the grand prize.
2)Now a days most of the people have disallowed viewing their profile but through my knowledge i know one use who have won main prize(means other than BTG practice question ....) and removed all the feed....
Now i dont have problem if s/he is given prize (as it is not my nature...lol) but i was if it is allowed than i was also planning to remove old feeds....
If it is not...i am confident that you will examine all and disqualify if found otherwise...

Grand prize means top 10 prizes of the weekly draw

DavidP wrote: 3. Specifically, many players start gaming the system by creating multiple fake accounts and by posting low quality messages on the forum just so that they can earn points. so then the forum becomes much less useful.
3)Personally i feel it has advantages as well as disadvantages...some as listed by you...
DavidP wrote: 5. a single player can win multiple prizes in a single week so long as the prizes are of different types. in fact, at least one player won 4 prizes in the first week.

david
5)Now i understand that ...may be array_rand is also cause of drawing same number 4 times...more than that may be many along with me were unlucky in this draw...he he

any way thanks for clarification ...
much convinced now...and less disappointed...

thanks for game as well...
GMAT score is equally counted as your GPA and 78 clicks can change you life.

Site Admin

by DavidP » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:09 am
hi frank,

thanks for the php bug that you identified. fortunately for us, i don't think that bug affects btg because all of our servers are running on ubuntu. according to that bug report, the bug only affects windows servers. but just to be sure, we'll adjust the randomization function for next week's draw.

dp
frank1 wrote:
DavidP wrote:hi frank,

Well really thanks....frankly i am really less disappointed and more convinced after i have read all your thoughts....and thanks for making all the procedures clear....i am really impressed and thankful for it....

1)Then in that case i think i was very very unlucky in this case and some guys were more than lucky ...i could see 57 point (who has 3.5 less time possibilities winning main prizes) and many winning multiple prizes.....They are very lucky then...

as much as i have known array_rand.....normally data are not repetated if there are less than 10,000 elements in array(debated but tested) and as the number of elements increases the repetation increases...
So if 130 is average score of all users ...each counted as 1...then there are 130x600=78000....
Now i see...It is one cause same people are being drawn....(but as rules allows not a problem i guess...)
more here.. https://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=45301

DavidP wrote: 2. i'm not sure what you mean when you say: "but i know the person who have removed all the feeds after it has been published and have still won grand prize." first, we haven't given out the grand prize yet - that happens in late october. second, if someone deletes all their shares/likes from their fb wall, then they won't be able to win the grand prize.
2)Now a days most of the people have disallowed viewing their profile but through my knowledge i know one use who have won main prize(means other than BTG practice question ....) and removed all the feed....
Now i dont have problem if s/he is given prize (as it is not my nature...lol) but i was if it is allowed than i was also planning to remove old feeds....
If it is not...i am confident that you will examine all and disqualify if found otherwise...

Grand prize means top 10 prizes of the weekly draw

DavidP wrote: 3. Specifically, many players start gaming the system by creating multiple fake accounts and by posting low quality messages on the forum just so that they can earn points. so then the forum becomes much less useful.
3)Personally i feel it has advantages as well as disadvantages...some as listed by you...
DavidP wrote: 5. a single player can win multiple prizes in a single week so long as the prizes are of different types. in fact, at least one player won 4 prizes in the first week.

david
5)Now i understand that ...may be array_rand is also cause of drawing same number 4 times...more than that may be many along with me were unlucky in this draw...he he

any way thanks for clarification ...
much convinced now...and less disappointed...

thanks for game as well...

by cheryl3007 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:32 am
Thanks David. Thanks BTG. I've redeemed the prizes and waiting for your official emails!

Cheers!
Flying high

by nadesai » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:47 am
Thanks BTG for the prizes. I just have a question - What if we have already purchased BTG Practice questions and now won the same as prize here. Do we still redeem that? How do we proceed with then? Is there anything that we can exchange it with, what are the options available?