Confused in idiom of But

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Confused in idiom of But

by rohitmanglik » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:49 am
In Official book I got following two questions which are confusing me:

22. The voluminous personal papers of Thomas Alva Edison reveal that his inventions typically sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly from previous works.
(A) sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly
B) sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but were slowly evolved
C) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly
D )did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but had slowly evolved
E )did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but they were slowly evolved
Explanation:

C, the best choice, places not and but in such a way that the distinction between springing to life in a flash of inspiration and evolving slowly is logically and idiomatically expressed. A and B are faulty because, for grammatical parallelism, not in a flash... must be followed by but in..., not by a conjugated form of the verb. Moreover, were slowly evolved is incorrect in B because evolve, in this sense of the word, cannot be made passive. Choices C, D,and E all correctly place not before spring. D, however, contains inconsistent verb tenses; E contains the faulty passive and an intrusive they.

But in

28. The rise in the Commerce Department's index of leading economic indicators suggest that the economy should continue its expansion into the coming months. but that the mixed performance of the index's individual components indicates that economic growth will proceed at a more moderate pace than in the first quarter of this year.

A) suggest that the economy should continue its expansion into the coming months, but that
B )suggest that the economy is to continue expansion in the coming months, but
C )suggests that the economy will continue its expanding in the coming months, but that
D )suggests that the economy is continuing to expand into the coming months, but that
E) suggests that the economy will continue to expand in the coming months, but

In choices A and B, the verb suggest does not agree with its singular subject, rise. In context, the phrase into the coming months in A and D is not idiomatic; in the coming months is preferable. In A, C, and D, the that appearing after but creates a subordinate clause where an independent clause is needed for the new subject, mixed performance. Choice E includes the correct verb form, suggests, eliminates that, and properly employs the future tense, will continue to expand. That this tense is called for is indicated both by the future time to which the coming months refers and by the parallel verb form will proceed in the nonunderlined part of the sentence. Choice E is best.

Over here as mentioned in first question, if we use in with not then ("then in") right form of writing is "but in".

So over here we should write "but that" as well, as we have "suggests that"
[/i][/u]

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by vinay1983 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:51 pm
rohitmanglik wrote:In Official book I got following two questions which are confusing me:

22. The voluminous personal papers of Thomas Alva Edison reveal that his inventions typically sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly from previous works.
(A) sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly
B) sprang to life not in a flash of inspiration but were slowly evolved
C) did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but evolved slowly
D )did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but had slowly evolved
E )did not spring to life in a flash of inspiration but they were slowly evolved
Explanation:

C, the best choice, places not and but in such a way that the distinction between springing to life in a flash of inspiration and evolving slowly is logically and idiomatically expressed. A and B are faulty because, for grammatical parallelism, not in a flash... must be followed by but in..., not by a conjugated form of the verb. Moreover, were slowly evolved is incorrect in B because evolve, in this sense of the word, cannot be made passive. Choices C, D,and E all correctly place not before spring. D, however, contains inconsistent verb tenses; E contains the faulty passive and an intrusive they.

But in

28. The rise in the Commerce Department's index of leading economic indicators suggest that the economy should continue its expansion into the coming months. but that the mixed performance of the index's individual components indicates that economic growth will proceed at a more moderate pace than in the first quarter of this year.

A) suggest that the economy should continue its expansion into the coming months, but that
B )suggest that the economy is to continue expansion in the coming months, but
C )suggests that the economy will continue its expanding in the coming months, but that
D )suggests that the economy is continuing to expand into the coming months, but that
E) suggests that the economy will continue to expand in the coming months, but

In choices A and B, the verb suggest does not agree with its singular subject, rise. In context, the phrase into the coming months in A and D is not idiomatic; in the coming months is preferable. In A, C, and D, the that appearing after but creates a subordinate clause where an independent clause is needed for the new subject, mixed performance. Choice E includes the correct verb form, suggests, eliminates that, and properly employs the future tense, will continue to expand. That this tense is called for is indicated both by the future time to which the coming months refers and by the parallel verb form will proceed in the nonunderlined part of the sentence. Choice E is best.

Over here as mentioned in first question, if we use in with not then ("then in") right form of writing is "but in".

So over here we should write "but that" as well, as we have "suggests that"
[/i][/u]
Hmm I was not able to comprehend your point here.

See in the first sentence..we need parallelism so "not in" needs "but in" to make a proper sense of the sentence.

In the second sentence, "but that" is used to show some sort of "contrast".

See this:

I am interested to study not in London but in Paris--here even though i mention 2 different cities, my main intent here is to convey my preference in a manner that is easy to understand. (I am not a grammar guy) so excuse my any non grammar reference

My scores tell me that i need to improve my quants but that does not mean my verbal is strong see the difference here.

Hope i could help
You can, for example never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:140 members

by Mike@Magoosh » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:15 pm
Dear rohitmanglik,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

As with vinay1983, it's not 100% clear exactly what your question is.

It's true that not X but Y is a particular idiom. This is called a correlative conjunction:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom ... junctions/
The elements X & Y must be in parallel --- two preposition phrases, two infinitives, two verbs, two clauses, etc.

The word "that", or any introductory word common to both X & Y might be repeated twice or used just once, in different configurations. This is what I call the "once outside or twice inside" rule for parallelism. See this article for an explanation:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-paral ... ce-inside/

The second one is tricky, because it looks like a simple parallelism question, but it's not. Here's the question again:
The rise in the Commerce Department's index of leading economic indicators suggest that the economy should continue its expansion into the coming months. but that the mixed performance of the index's individual components indicates that economic growth will proceed at a more moderate pace than in the first quarter of this year.
(A) suggest that the economy should continue its expansion into the coming months, but that
(B) suggest that the economy is to continue expansion in the coming months, but
(C) suggests that the economy will continue its expanding in the coming months, but that
(D) suggests that the economy is continuing to expand into the coming months, but that
(E) suggests that the economy will continue to expand in the coming months, but

Think about the meaning.
The first part tells us something suggested by "the rise in the Commerce Department's index of leading economic indicators." Indicator #1 rose, and this suggested something about the economy.
Now, think about the meaning of the second part: another indicator ("the mixed performance of the index's individual components") indicates something else about the economy.
The structure of the over sentence is, roughly
Indicator #1 say P but indicator #2 says Q.
The BIG IDEA is: yes, the two clauses overall are in parallel, and correctly separated by "but", but what follows the comma is not supposed to be inside a "that" clause. The prompt choice, (A), makes a clear logical mistake by assigning the entire second half of the sentence to the inside of the "that" clause. Part of the challenge of this question is not to follow the blindly the grammatical arrangement given in the prompt, but to analyze the logic, recognize the logical flaw, and choose a version that gets the logic correct.
LOGIC ALWAYS TRUMPS GRAMMAR.
(E) is correct because it does not put the second half inside the "that"-clause, repeating the prompt's logical error, but instead treats it correctly as a second full independent clause.
Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
https://gmat.magoosh.com/