Comparison#13

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Comparison#13

by gmat_perfect » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:24 am
Like the thorny ballooning of a frightened pufferfish or the sudden appearance of angry sapphire hoops for which the blue-ringed octopus is named, so the California newt's display of its red underbelly is a clear warning that predators ignore at their peril.

(A) so the California newt's display of its red underbelly is a clear warning that predators ignore at their peril
(B) so it is at their peril that predators ignore the California newt's display of its red underbelly, a clear warning
(C) the California newt's displaying its red underbelly is a clear warning for predators, so they ignore it at their peril
(D) the California newt's display of its red underbelly is a clear warning that predators ignore at their peril
(E) it is at their peril that predators ignore the California newt's display of its red underbelly, a clear warning

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by niksworth » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:29 am
D ?

A, B and E do not make the correct comparison.

C - Gerund with a possessive noun is incorrect. Without a conjunction, a comma splice exists in C.
scio me nihil scire

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by brijesh » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:21 am
gmat_perfect wrote:Like the thorny ballooning of a frightened pufferfish or the sudden appearance of angry sapphire hoops for which the blue-ringed octopus is named, so the California newt's display of its red underbelly is a clear warning that predators ignore at their peril.

(A) so the California newt's display of its red underbelly is a clear warning that predators ignore at their peril
(B) so it is at their peril that predators ignore the California newt's display of its red underbelly, a clear warning
(C) the California newt's displaying its red underbelly is a clear warning for predators, so they ignore it at their peril
(D) the California newt's display of its red underbelly is a clear warning that predators ignore at their peril
(E) it is at their peril that predators ignore the California newt's display of its red underbelly, a clear warning
No reason to put 'So' A & B- out

I will go for D

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:26 am
@niksworth :
C - Gerund with a possessive noun is incorrect. Without a conjunction, a comma splice exists in C.
I agree that C is incorrect answer, but i have certain doubts for the reasons mentioned above . Could you please explain.

1. Gerund with a possessive noun is incorrect ? the California newt's displaying its red underbelly

2. Without a conjunction, a comma splice exists in C - > "so" is a conjunction "FANBOYS", so it is NOT INCORRECT to use "so" .

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:42 am
GMATMadeEasy wrote:@niksworth :
I agree that C is incorrect answer, but i have certain doubts for the reasons mentioned above . Could you please explain.

1. Gerund with a possessive noun is incorrect ? the California newt's displaying its red underbelly

2. Without a conjunction, a comma splice exists in C - > "so" is a conjunction "FANBOYS", so it is NOT INCORRECT to use "so" .
i agree with the doubt on gerund possessive

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by niksworth » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:16 am
GMATMadeEasy wrote:@niksworth :

Huh! This was sometime back. And I made a total mess of it. Must have been in some hurry I guess. Thanks for pointing this out.

First let me correct myself.

2. Is an outright oversight. There is no comma splice.

1. displaying is not a gerund here but a participle.

Why?
A - California newt's display of its red underbelly - display as a noun
B - California newt's displaying of its red underbelly - displaying as a gerund
C - California newt's displaying its red underbelly - displaying as a participle

Now the reason why C is incorrect.

A possessive noun cannot be followed by a participle (because a participle acts as an adjective). If we want a participle here, we have to remove the apostrophe s - California newt displaying its red underbelly would have been correct in isolation. (Though it would have created comparison problems with the rest of the sentence)
scio me nihil scire

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Arcane66 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:23 am
I vote A even though this is a very confusing sentence.

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:10 am
@niksworth : thanks. agreed.

@Arcane66: OA is D. If you are not convinced, let me know your specific question, will try to explain.