Comma Splice

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:560

Comma Splice

by Tega1984 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:06 am
Can anyone help me out with this one?

The people of the ancient Assyrian Empire were renowned warriors, although they also crafted some of the best-preserved ancient art.

A) were renowned warriors, although they also crafted
B) had been renowned warriors, although they also crafted
C) were renowned warriors, and also crafted
D) was renowned warriors, although they also crafted
E) were renowned warriors, but also crafting

The correct answer is A but what is wrong with C? They say that there's a comma splice mistake in C, but how is it a comma splice when there is a coordinating conjunction AND after the comma?

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:39 am
I would prefer A because of the logic. The sentence seems to be pointing out a contrast between warriors and artists. "Although" emphasizes that while "and" ignores it.
Tani Wolff

by Tega1984 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:43 am
So basically the main thing here is the logic not comma splice?
Tani Wolff - Kaplan wrote:I would prefer A because of the logic. The sentence seems to be pointing out a contrast between warriors and artists. "Although" emphasizes that while "and" ignores it.

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members

by atulmangal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:57 am
Tani Wolff - Kaplan wrote:I would prefer A because of the logic. The sentence seems to be pointing out a contrast between warriors and artists. "Although" emphasizes that while "and" ignores it.
@Tani, a basic question, this confuses me a lot so please help me with this once and for all.

I have seen this concept in some tutorials that COMMA + FANBOYS should be used to connect Independent Clauses only. If you are connecting two clause, using a FANBOY word, where one clause is NOT an Independent Clause, then DO NOT use COMMA before the FANBOY word. Is this rule correct??? Please help...

I'm sure about this rule that, one of the way to connect 2 Independent Clauses is using COMMA + FANBOY, But m not sure about the rule i mentioned above. So please please help with that...

In this question, if we apply above rule then straight away OP C is wrong as it is using COMMA + AND to connect an Independent Clause with a NON-Independent Clause....

I understand you didn't reject Op C because of the violation of this rule...You thought in terms of meaning that a contrast is needed and "Although" is creating that contrast perfectly.

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by smackmartine » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:00 am
Tega1984,

Whenever you see ",and " you have to make sure that both sides of ",and" have complete sentence/s. For the same reason option C is incorrect.

Hope this helps!

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:10 am
smackmartine wrote:Tega1984,

Whenever you see ",and " you have to make sure that both sides of ",and" have complete sentence/s. For the same reason option C is incorrect.

Hope this helps!
@smackmartine

Thats what i asked from @tani....why becoz i remember in many cases i haven't found this rule applicable...

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by smackmartine » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:29 am
@atulmangal :
I understand. Even I have faced similar issues many a times. But then I found that when we use ",and " for describing items (that could be in the form of two/more clauses) of a list, the RULE COMMA+FANBOYS does n't apply.

atulmangal wrote:

Hope this helps!
@smackmartine

Thats what i asked from @tani....why becoz i remember in many cases i haven't found this rule applicable...

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:08 am
smackmartine wrote:@atulmangal :
I understand. Even I have faced similar issues many a times. But then I found that when we use ",and " for describing items (that could be in the form of two/more clauses) of a list, the RULE COMMA+FANBOYS does n't apply.

atulmangal wrote:

Hope this helps!
@smackmartine

Got your point bro, and thanks for that but as u see @Tani's explanation, she said that she pick Op A over Op C because of logic...so didn't pick that same point what we thought...thats why lets wait and watch, what she say!

by Tega1984 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:22 am
So basically if there was no comma before "and" in option C it would be grammatically correct right?

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:35 am
Tega1984 wrote:So basically if there was no comma before "and" in option C it would be grammatically correct right?
For the answer of this question only, m waiting for Tani's answer..

by Tega1984 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:52 am
Lets wait for it

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by catseye » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:32 am
Tega1984 wrote:Can anyone help me out with this one?

The people of the ancient Assyrian Empire were renowned warriors, although they also crafted some of the best-preserved ancient art.

The correct answer is A but what is wrong with C? They say that there's a comma splice mistake in C, but how is it a comma splice when there is a coordinating conjunction AND after the comma?
If one subject has two verbs, we need not use COMMA before the second verb.

Example:

I have worked hard and won the prize.--correct.
I have worked hard, and won the prize.---Incorrect.

Come to the sentence:
The people were renowned warriors, and crafted. ---incorrect.

The subject, people, has two verbs--were and crafted.We should not use COMMA before the second verb.

Again, we are not required to use COMMA + AND in case of a list of two things.

Example:

I need X and Y.--correct.
I need X, and Y. --incorrect.

Thanks.
Every dog has its day.

by Tega1984 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:02 pm
Thanks very much to all of you

Legendary Member

by atulmangal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:50 pm
catseye wrote:
Tega1984 wrote:Can anyone help me out with this one?

If one subject has two verbs, we need not use COMMA before the second verb.

Example:

I have worked hard and won the prize.--correct.
I have worked hard, and won the prize.---Incorrect.

Come to the sentence:
The people were renowned warriors, and crafted. ---incorrect.

The subject, people, has two verbs--were and crafted.We should not use COMMA before the second verb.

Again, we are not required to use COMMA + AND in case of a list of two things.

Example:

I need X and Y.--correct.
I need X, and Y. --incorrect.

Thanks.
Follow the link and check the problem from GMAT-Prep, the correct Op C, i think doesn't hold what u have stated above in your post.
here is the link
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-sc ... tml#361251

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:38 pm
@atulmangal: Could you give the examples of sentences that you are not clear regarding , + FanBOYS rule ?

I can help you there may be but I want to be sure of your doubt. Do you refer Manhattan SC 4th edition ? It has the things you are looking before.

C has couple of problems :
were renowned warriors, and also crafted
1. comma is unnecessary
2. AND is incorrect as it does not suggest intended meaning.

1. when second independent clause shares the same subject as first one and the subject is not repeated, you don't use comma in second IC. (only true when connector is AND)

The people of the ancient Assyrian Empire were renowned warriors and won many wars . (correct)
The people of the ancient Assyrian Empire were renowned warriors, and won many wars . (Incorrect)
The people of the ancient Assyrian Empire were renowned warriors, and they were also great lovers . (correct)

The people of the ancient Assyrian Empire were renowned warriors, but they were never successfull with women. (correct)