Claude Debussy

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Claude Debussy

by rajatvmittal » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:32 am
The compositions of Claude Debussy are known for their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, a use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and delicate but dramatic lyricism.

their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, a use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and
their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and
their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and their
orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and
their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and a

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:770

by HerrGrau » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:44 am
Hi,

This a list so you should be thinking about making it parallel. Looks like it should be: The compositions are known for their X, their Y, and their Z. The their in italics is implied by the list.

The compositions of Claude Debussy are known for their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, a use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and delicate but dramatic lyricism.

their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, a use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and
The "a" makes the list not parallel

their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and

This looks good

their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and their

The "their" makes the list not parallel

The orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and

Looks like "the" should be "their"

their orchestrational subtlety and brilliance, use of scales considered exotic in Western music at the time, and a

The "a" in the end makes the list not parallel

I hope that this was helpful and let me know if you need more advice on the subject.

HG.
"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Blog and GMAT Tutoring: www.AtlanticGMAT.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:120 members
GMAT Score:770

by Tommy Wallach » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:41 am
Hey All,

HerrGrau has explained this one very well. We have to choose whether to put "their" on all three items in the list, or only the first one. This is a common construction in English. For example:

Correct: I have gone to the store, purchased a monkey, and come home.
Incorrect: I have gone to the store, purchased a monkey, and have come home.

(A) Just to be clear, the "a" is not problematic in itself, but BECAUSE we had "their" at the beginning of the list. That means this effectively says "They are known for their a use of scales".

(B) Cool.

(C) This does the 1st and 3rd thing discussed above.

(D) This does the "their a delicate but dramatic lyricism" thing.

(E) "The" is a definite article, which means you've referred to it before (Kinda like "That orchestrational subtlety I talked about earlier). I've never seen a real GMAT question test this before. Is this an official question?

Also, orchestrational isn't a word.

-t
Tommy Wallach, Company Expert
ManhattanGMAT

If you found this posting mega-helpful, feel free to thank and/or follow me!