Classes for Raising GPA for Engineering Undergrad

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi All.

I am applying to B Schools this fall for the entering class of '09.

My undergraduate GPA is pretty low 2.78, however it was an engineering degree.

I want to take some classes to, I guess, mitigate these grades. I plan on taking some UC Berkeley Extension classes: I was wondering which ones would best help my case?

From what I have read, Accounting is pretty good (https://www.unex.berkeley.edu/cat/course328.html), as is basic economics classes (https://www.unex.berkeley.edu/cat/course323.html)

I plan on taking hopefully two before I apply, and another as I apply... are these the best classes to take?

I took a micro-econ class when i was an undergrad, but did pretty poorly since I spent most of my time studying my major classes...

thanks in advance... :D

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:23 pm
Dear hanakimis:

The courses you should take depend on what you are seeking from them, specifically are you trying to brush up on your math, learn terminology, and/or get a jump-start on subjects you think might be more of a challenge for you.

Finance professors will tell you that it is imperative you enter the MBA with a strong math foundation in linear math, algebra and calculus. Since you have an engineering degree, I assume you took many quantitative courses. However if you have not been working in roles where you employ the quant/analytical skills you gained in school, then you might consider taking some math courses.

If you want a jump-start on the terminology, then accounting and economics could be good choices. Likewise, if you did poorly in your undergraduate economics course, then it might be good to demonstrate a higher command of the subject through the course.

Hope that helps,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by hanakimis » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:25 pm
Hi Ms. Anderson.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I am basically looking to take classes to improve my application. In all honesty, as much as I have not really done high level math in some time, I think I should be alright (I did well in Multi-Var Calc and did alright in some discrete math classes).

So please correct me if I am wrong, but from what you have posted, I should likely take the economics courses?

The two "fields" that I am particularly interested in are:

VC, and some sort of tech-financial analysis research (ish).

Thanks.

Hana

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:30 pm
Dear Hana:

Either the economics or accounting classes would be fine. It can never hurt to take more accounting as most folks are surprised how much they use it in many different career paths. Increasing your understanding of financial statements and how to use them to make decisions are critical elements to being a successful executive.

Regards,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by VIP » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:07 am
I think your building an alternate transcript? I am in a very similar situation as you....Engineering undergrad...low gpa.
From my research a good alternate transcript depends on what classes you did poorly on in undergrad. If you had trouble in quant related classes then you should try to take classes that will mitigate that concern (scoring high on GMAT quant is not enough).
I am in the situation where i did poorly in quant areas, so i'm taking Economics, and Statistics through UC Berkley Extension Online. Then i plan on taking Calc 1 & 2. I'm hoping this will mitigate any concerns that i will be able to perform in qaunt related classes at b-school.

I am taking classes with Ed Derbin (econ) and Dieter (stat)...and so far i have no complaints.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sonibubu » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:48 pm
Same boat here, I took acct at a local community college and I'm not taking Basic corporate finance with Hyman at Berkeley UNEX. I did OK in micro- and macro-econ in undergrad, so I don't think I'll be retaking those.