choosing a business school being 39 years old

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I am 39 years old and I am feeling that I am too old to enter a traditional brick and mortar business school. In addition to this feeling, I am having problems deciding whether I should strive for the best business school at this point in my life or accept any school that will let me in. I am considering online mba programs and they are from universities that are not ranked but are AACSB accredited. I also have missed the deadlines for most of the brick and mortars in california and i want to stay in california. i guess i could wait another year and improve my gmat score and apply for next fall as opposed to this upcoming fall. I am confused. I don't know what I am doing. I also have work experience but i dont have good or any references from work supervisors and the only references i have are from professors. Another interesting tid bit is that i just graduated with my bachelors degree from DeVry University. The school is regionally accredited however it doesn't have the greatest reputation. I know that it is okay because i have got into a california state university graduate program so I know that it is acceptable. I would love to hear any insight or opinions based on experience, etc.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Ashim88 » Sun May 27, 2012 8:48 am
Since you didn't mention what your work experience is, exactly, it's hard to make profile evaluation.

The only online MBA programs that I think are good are ranked. I would even go to a CSU / Cal State MBA program over an unranked MBA program (even tho the cal states are ranked around 170th in the country)

Depending on the quality of your work experience and your undergrad GPA, you may have a good chance of shooting at the stars- depending on your GMAT potential.

In other words, give us more info.

by rajagursahani » Sun May 27, 2012 12:56 pm
My work experience is not the best. I worked from 2002 to 2007 in sales and marketing at a dot com startup that focused on web conferencing software. I left because I had to take care of my father who had suffered from a stroke. During that time I decided to go back to school at the age of 37 and get my bachelors degree at DeVry University where I ended up graduating with a 3.71 GPA. You have suggested that I should even consider a CAL State program which I have, I am looking at Cal-State Fullerton. I would prefer to go to a UC as that would be better chance of getting a better job. Like I said I was in sales and marketing career wise. I am not presently working and I will be paying for the MBA out of pocket. Well what do you think about these cal state programs? i was told by a MBA consultant that if I chose any program in California that I do it in a big city as that will be a better chance for procuring a job?

by rajagursahani » Sun May 27, 2012 1:01 pm
also when you are saying that CAL state mba programs are ranked. I didn't find a ranking for those programs in the business grad school section of us news and world report. i don't believe the cal state programs are even ranked for business schools. but the main reason for choosing a MBA program from any decent school in california is becaue I want to stay in California. The online programs I am looking at, the universities are ranked as national universities however they are not ranked as MBA programs.

by rajagursahani » Sun May 27, 2012 1:03 pm
also currently I am getting a 550-580 on the Kaplan CAT exam. I am taking their course. I would hope to strive for a 600-650 as that would fit me right in for a UC mba program.