Changing programs?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Changing programs?

by SoCalMBA » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:52 am
do any schools allow students to transfer from the full time program into an executive program (or vice versa)? If they say that the programs are similar, wouldn't it be easy to move from one to the other? Do any schools allow transfers?

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:34 am
Few schools allow transfers into a full-time program because of the nature of the scheduling and course requirements. I have not heard of individuals transferring between MBA and EMBA programs. I suspect you would need very persuasive case to switch from one to the other. Schools are looking for a different type of individual with a different work profile for an EMBA program than for a full-time MBA.

Many EMBA programs have higher acceptance rates and lower GMAT scores than the same schools' full-time MBA programs have. The explanation is often that EMBA applicants are farther from undergraduate education and have significantly more professional experience so that standardized testing is not as important a measure of the ability to handle the program. Also, the fact that most EMBA participants are local keeps the applicant pool down.

In the end, it will be up to the individual schools and decisions are likely to be made on an individual basis. I suggest you contact the admissions departments at your target schools to get their perspectives.
Tani Wolff

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Favin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:31 am
I have heard of students transferring between full time and part time, but not between executive and full time. That said, many of the executive programs are evolving/adapting to the times, so we may see more of it in the future.