Chances of getting into B-school

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Chances of getting into B-school

by almousan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:52 am
Hi. This is my background:

International student from the middle east with a undergrad degree from Michigan State Uni in Finance.
GPA: 3.6/4.0
GMAT: mid 500, retaking and think I can hit low-mid 600s.
Work Experience after grad: 3 month summer internship in private equity, 9 month prestigious finance training program, and now currently working (total 2 months) in a small financial services co.

The pros I see in my background are an above average GPA and and being an international student (is that a pro?)

I know my scores are pretty low and my work experience is not consistent (cons)

Im applying to 4-6 schools and wonder if I have a chance on getting into ANY of these schools:

Safety schools:
Bentley Uni
San Diego Uni

High Reach
USC
Babson
Boston Uni

Dream School
UCLA

So can I get into ANY of these schools? Im not sure if I have time to apply to all the schools so should I omit UCLA?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by SkyMann » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:22 pm
Hi almousan,

You are going to help yourself a lot by getting your GMAT score to your goal level. Good luck with that! You are right that you have a strong GPA. Aside from these two ratings, your essays will provide a good opportunity to distinguish yourself from others in your applicant pool. Think about how your international experience makes you unique. Another concern I have relates to your leadership experience. Often younger MBA applicants must think harder about times they displayed leadership. Have you considered how you will do this? Feel free to email me any more questions you have.

Thanks,
Schuyler Mann
MBA Admissions Consultant
Ivy App Success