chances of getting into a good B- school based on my profile

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi

Please give me an opinion on my chances to get into a B school of my choice based on my current profile

Academics: I have a 700 (Q:47, V:39, 4.5 AWA) in GMAT (first attempt), I have 3.4 GPA in undergrad from University of Delhi (India) in Finance. I was first in my course in University and awarded a Gold medal for the achievement. I have 95.2% in my high school (12th ), was first in my class. Also scored 90.6% (in 10th)

I have also cleared exams in financial mathematics and statistics and probability from India society of actuarial sciences.

ECA: I was head of placement cell of my college, part of street play society. For my role in placement cell, was awarded a certificate for special contribution to college for my efforts in developing a strong placement infrastructure and making my college among the Top 4 in India (in terms of placement records).

I currently work with Mckinsey & Company as research analyst (1.5 yrs experience). My experience includes client engagement experience in Financial institutions practice in retail banking and asset management in India and consulting research experience in competitive strategy in Asia (11 countries). I was awarded a prize for knowledge contribution to the firm for one of the largest efforts of the practice in 2010. Was the youngest one to receive the award in the history of the firm.

I have been promoted in 1.5 years Vs 2 years stipulated for the role.

Societal contribution: I am also engaged in two social efforts. part of an education initiative in my mckinsey office and also part of a social initiative by the street play society of my college to make people aware about street theater. I have delivered strong impact in both.

College preference

I have a very strong inclination on doing finance and especially investment management in the long term

Will want to apply for 2012 admissions to Columbia, Chicago booth, NYU stern, ISB (India), MIT sloan, Cornell

Please advise if I can consider applying to the above schools. Let me know if I am missing any schools I should apply to considering my profile

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:31 pm
himcap1688 -

Thank you very much for posting your profile and questions. Congratulations for thinking about this far in advance of your 2012 estimated matriculation.

Your profile seems quite strong. I say this because it is stellar academically (the top ranking in several situations), your have performed community service in a meaningful and unique way, and your professional experiences with McKinsey and early promotion there are truly "pre-MBA" work experiences that will give you many stories and experiences to relate in a business school context.

So, in short, I think the schools you mention are within your range. Cornell would be what I consider your "safety" school. The rest are all extremely competitive, but I think you should still pursue a slot at each.

Good luck!
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by himcap1688 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:10 pm
Thanks so much for your reply.

Just two questions:

1. Am I missing any big schools within my range that I should consider provided my profile ?
2. Very strong inclination for Chicago Booth as it matches my personality/requirements from an MBA perfectly. Should I reflect, concentrate on specific parts of my profile to crack this one ?

Thanks a lot again

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:19 am
himcap1688 -

Sorry for my delayed response - I have had a terrible cold!

1) As for any schools you may be missing...have you considered Wharton? It is a fantastic program. It is urban (like Booth and Columbia) and has wonderful general management, finance and marketing programs.

2) As for your fit with Booth, definitley concentrate on that. I would do likewise with all of the schools. Your fit with a program is key to your ultimate experience in business school. The admissions committees know this, so make a point of telling them why you are a good fit!

Best,
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process