Chances at strong finance programs?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Chances at strong finance programs?

by bucky6225 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:37 pm
Hi,

I'm a 27 year old male. GMAT score of 710 (47 Q, 40 V).

Education:

3.2 from the University of Wisconsin - Madison, double major in economics/philosohpy.

While in school, I "walked on" to the wrestling team. I was cut during tryouts my freshman and sophomore years, and then was accepted on the team as a junior.

Work Experience:

Shortly after school, I moved to Chicago to work for a small software/financial services company that provides a research tool numerous trading desks at banks and hedge funds use. I started out as an intern. After mastering the tools, I was promoted to account manager after a year. The company moved me to NY where I was responsible for handling a number of the companies accounts (included Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch, JPMorgan). I acted as the first point of contact, trained new users, signed on new users. I was responsible for managing roughly 10% of the company's annual revenue.

After a year in an account management role, I left NY for Phoenix because my fiance was in a phd program there. Currently, I am an assistant portfolio manager at an asset management firm. I am responsible for the research, construction and management of a mutual fund asset allocation product.

Outside of the office, I am a volunteer wrestling coach at a local high school.

Given my profile, what do you think my chances are for NYU, Columbia, Chicago? My ultimate goal is to work on a trading desk at a big bank (I know the industry is suffering right now!).

Also, if these schools are out of reach, would you recommend any other schools with strong finance programs that have connections to the capital markets industry?

I assume Wharton is above me, but if it's in the "stretch" range then I would give it a shot.

Thanks for your feedback.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:36 pm
Dear bucky6225,

I think you have a shot at any program you feel is a good match for you. Granted, any top 10 will be a reach but they are for anyone--the top 10 are competitive enough that I would never say they were anything less for anyone. So, I think you should apply NYU, Columbia, Chicago and Wharton, but I also think it is important to be realistic and apply to some schools that are closer to a safety option (for you, these would be top 15-30 programs). There are many strong finance programs out there, so you need to find schools that also have a strong connection to your desired industry. You have plenty of options on the east coast, but there are also options in the south and midwest.

Time is of the essence this year, so you need to apply sooner rather than later. But don't compromise quality as it will be your essays, recommendations and interview that will get you the positive decision.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bucky6225 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:23 pm
Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your feedback, but I'm a little confused with your response.

You said I should apply to these programs, but also mentioned that I should be realistic. Does that mean you think I am reaching a little too high? Please tell me what you really think, I promise you won't hurt my feelings :D .

If these schools are out of reach, what is it about my profile that would be hurting me?

Go ahead, let me have it.

Thanks,

bucky

PS I am not planning on applying this year, so I have plenty of time to work on applications and and improve my profile.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:43 am
I do think you have a chance at these schools. I also feel that everyone should also apply to 1-2 backup schools so you have options--sort of an insurance policy. I don't really see any glaring or strong weaknesses in the profile you have posted. The GPA is a little low, but your GMAT score is right around the average. Consequently, it will be how well you present yourself in your essays, resume, and interview that will make the difference for you.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me