CEO

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:36 am
geet wrote:A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO�s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1980.

A. that CEO�s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO�s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO�s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO�s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
E. CEO�s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times

GUYZ do explain it!! OA l8r
Quickest approach:

The correct idiom is X is Y times Z. In A and D, 419 times more pay is redundant. Eliminate A and D.

Of the remaining answers, only C compares apples to apples: 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay. B and E make incorrect comparisons, as shown by the words above that I've highlighted in red. Eliminate B and E.

The correct answer is C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by nikhilkatira » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:03 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
geet wrote:A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO�s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1980.

A. that CEO�s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times
B. that, on average, CEO�s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, a ratio that compares to 42 times
C. that, on average, CEO�s now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
D. CEO�s who now earn on average 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio
E. CEO�s now earning an average of 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, compared to the ratio of 42 times

GUYZ do explain it!! OA l8r
Quickest approach:

The correct idiom is X is Y times Z. In A and D, 419 times more pay is redundant. Eliminate A and D.

Of the remaining answers, only C compares apples to apples: 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay. B and E make incorrect comparisons, as shown by the words above that I've highlighted in red. Eliminate B and E.

The correct answer is C.
thanks Mitch
Best,
Nikhil H. Katira

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:43 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
A recent review of pay scales indicates that CEO�s now earn an average of 419 times more pay than blue-collar workers, compared to a ratio of 42 times in 1980.

Quickest approach:

The correct answer is C.
Hi Mitch,
Can you please quickly confirm whether form of be-Verb + times + COMPARATIVE is considered CORRECT in GMAT ?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by treetree » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:35 pm
how do you explain the "their" if C is the OA?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:28 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Hi Mitch,
Can you please quickly confirm whether form of be-Verb + times + COMPARATIVE is considered CORRECT in GMAT ?
The construction in red is acceptable when it serves to express how a subject CHANGES.
An OA in the OG for Verbal:
Its numbers are now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970.
Here, the portion in blue serves to express how ITS NUMBERS have changed between early 1970 and now.
We should be highly skeptical if the structure in red serves to compare one subject to another.
Suspect: Mary is five times wealthier than John.
Correct: Mary is five times as wealthy as John.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT Instructor

CEOs

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:40 am
treetree wrote:how do you explain the "their" if C is the OA?
C: CEOs now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay.
Because the two blue portions are parallel, their pay clearly refers to the pay of blue-collar workers.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by vietnam47 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:09 am
"comapred with/to" and "as compared with /to" are phrases working as prepositions. they are not do-ed phrases such as "tired of learning math".
so, we can accept choice c easily

Legendary Member

CEO

by Mo2men » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:21 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Hi Mitch,
The construction in red is acceptable when it serves to express how a subject CHANGES.
An OA in the OG for Verbal:
Its numbers are now five times greater than when the use of DDT was sharply restricted in the early 1970.
Here, the portion in blue serves to express how ITS NUMBERS have changed between early 1970 and now.
We should be highly skeptical if the structure in red serves to compare one subject to another.
Suspect: Mary is five times wealthier than John.
Correct: Mary is five times as wealthy as John.
Dear GMATGuru,
1- How is the red express subject change in the following example:
How does NOT the example express subject change?
A recent review of pay scales indicates that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio in 1980.
i.e what is difference between both examples?

2- Sometimes the construction ' two times as + noun + as+ ' is wrong. When should it be correct or wrong usage?
and sometimes the construction 'two times + noun' is correct. what is its correct usage.
Thanks in advance

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:09 pm
Mo2men wrote:Dear GMATGuru,
1- How is the red express subject change in the following example:
The usage of greater than implies a comparison of two CLAUSES:
Its numbers are now five times greater than [its numbers were great] when the use of DDT was sharply restricted.
Here, the red clause is compared to the blue clause.
How does NOT the example express subject change?
A recent review of pay scales indicates that, on average, CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers, as compared to 42 times their pay, the ratio in 1980.
i.e what is difference between both examples?
New employees earn HALF the pay of managers.
Managers earn TWICE the pay of new employees.
CEO's now earn 419 times the pay of blue-collar workers
In these sentences, no clauses are compared.
In each case, the portion in blue is simply a modifier serving to quantify the following noun (the pay).
2- Sometimes the construction ' two times as + noun + as+ ' is wrong. When should it be correct or wrong usage?
Generally, times as is followed not by a noun but by a MODIFIER:
two times as MANY
three times as MUCH
four times as LIKELY
sometimes the construction 'two times + noun' is correct. what is its correct usage.
This construction is valid if the noun after times is a NUMERICAL VALUE:
two times THE PAY
three times THE NUMBER
four times THE RATE

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by Mo2men » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:58 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Generally, times as is followed not by a noun but by a MODIFIER:
two times as MANY
three times as MUCH
four times as LIKELY
Is the following sentence correct? which is valid construction ? Why?

I have 10 times as many cars as Jane has.

or

I have 10 times cars as Jane has.

Thanks in advance

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:57 pm
Mo2men wrote:Is the following sentence correct? which is valid construction ? Why?

I have 10 times as many cars as Jane has.
This sentence is correct.
Implied comparison:
I have ten times as many cars as Jane has cars.
I have 10 times cars as Jane has.
As noted in my earlier post:
When NUMBER + times is used to make a comparison, it must be followed by either as + MODIFIER (such as many) or a NOUN THAT REFERS TO A NUMERICAL VALUE (such as the pay).
Since cars is not a numerical value, the sentence above is invalid.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3