Caribou are wary animals

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Caribou are wary animals

by er_priyankajolly » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:44 pm
Caribou are wary animals with excellent hearing, so stalking them over the treeless landscape, getting close enough to kill it with nothing but a handheld lance, as Dorset people did, required exceptional hunting skill.

A. so stalking them over the treeless landscape, getting close enough to kill it
B. so to stalk them over the treeless landscape and get close enough to kill one
C. so in order to stalk them over the treeless landscape and get close enough to kill one
D. and so in order to stalk it over the treeless landscape, getting close enough to kill it
E. and so stalking them over the treeless landscape and getting close enough in order to kill it

OA B

I read in Kaplan Verbal that "one" can refer to only "one" as the antecedent. So why is the option not following this rule? Or is the rule incorrect?

Kaplan says that the following sentence is wrong

A person should leave light on in an empty house if one wants to give impression that someone is at home------Kaplan says this construction is wrong.

Because of this rule i was not able to see any answer choice as correct? Please let me know is this rule correct or am i wrong somewhere?

Also i did the following

d) and e) use ", and so" incorrcetly....... only ",so" is sufficient and doesn't create a run-on .Also in these options we need plural pronouns as "animals" is plural

a) "it" in-correct

b) and c)rejected by the above rule......!
Last edited by er_priyankajolly on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by The Jock » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:03 pm
Hi,

What is wrong with "B" here. B seems perfect for this question. C is wordier and "in order to' seems redundant here....

What is the source of the question?
Thanks and Regards,
Varun
https://mbayogi.wordpress.com/

by BastiG » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:29 pm
[spoiler]The Official Answer is B, not C![/spoiler]

You can eliminate ADE because it should be them, not it.
You can eliminate C because "in order to" is no subject. "to + infinitive" can be a subject.
Thus The Answer is B.

by BastiG » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:31 pm
plz delete.

I meant this post.
Last edited by BastiG on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

by er_priyankajolly » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:33 am
BastiG wrote:plz delete
What should i delete?

Yes the answer is B. I made a mistake while typing....

But nobody replied on the rule .......Did anyBody read Kaplan verbal?

Followed by:1 members

by indiantiger » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:01 am
B is parallel also

To stalk ..... To kill
"Single Malt is better than Blended"

by ptandon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:51 am
You can eliminate all choices with 'it' since it doesnt follow subject-verb agreement.
Out of the 2 remaining choices, 'in order to' is not required and sounds wordy.
So, final answer B.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by outreach » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:19 pm
sentence starts with Caribou " are", hence all references to "it" at the end incorrect.- A,D and E.

C, "in order to is incorrect"
B. is correct among the choices available
-------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
General blog
https://amarnaik.wordpress.com
MBA blog
https://amarrnaik.blocked/

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:760

by barcebal » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:04 pm
I think the example that you read in Kaplan is referring to the use of "one" as a subject pronoun

Compare the following:

"A person should leave light on in an empty house if one wants to give impression that someone is at home"

The subject of the first sentence is "a person" and the subject of the second clause is "one." You shouldn't use one as a SUBJECT pronoun.

So for example you might say, "A person should leave light on in an empty house if he or she wants to give impression that someone is at home"

Or even better, "People should leave light on in an empty house if they wans to give impression that someone is at home"

In the caribou example, the caribou is the subject at the beginning, but then becomes the object in the second clause. Consider the sentence as two clauses:

"Caribou are wary animals...." "To stalk them and get close enough to kill one required...skill"

Notice that in the second clause the subject is the action of "to stalk and to get close enough to kill one"

The "one" is WHAT gets stalked and approached close enough to to be killed. The WHAT is the object. Using "one" as an object is fine.

Hopefully that helps!