Career Goals essay question

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Career Goals essay question

by gecko1975 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:42 am
Stacy/Lisa,

Thanks for taking the time to help us out.

I have a question about the typical essay question that asks what our short and long term career goals are. I understand that this question is important because if shows whether or not real thought has been placed into the reasoning for completing an MBA, but is that their main reason for asking this question?

Do they look at the desired career field and base admission decisions based on the goal? For example, I am 100% sure I want to work in an investment management function when I graduate. These jobs are some of the most difficult positions to obtain and the fact that I am a career switcher with no previous investment management experience just makes it that much more difficult.

Will schools look at this and ding me just because the chances of me landing my dream job directly out of school are slim? Are they worried that I will not be placeable and thus will not risk impacting their stats by offering me a spot in the class?

Would I be better off saying that I wanted to go into a general financial management position?

Any insight into how the schools use this question to determine admissions would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have any advice as how to proceed with this question, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:11 am
Dear gecko1975:

You are correct in your first conclusion: the schools want to make sure you have thought about business school and have a solid rationale for wanting to get your MBA. You will not get dinged for wanting to make a drastic career change per se, but admissions committees will question your application if you apply to a program that is not a great fit for your desired post-MBA career. For example, if you want to do investment management and apply to a school that is not strong in this area (no real elective offerings, no placement in the last couple of years). The admissions folks will just wonder why you are applying there when it will be even harder to land that job.

You definitely want to be honest and not just write something you think they want to read. The best way to answer the question is to give them an idea of why you have selected investment management and any plans you have to get there while in business school.

Good luck!
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by cjiang16 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:06 pm
Thank you, Lisa. Your answer also cleared my confusion.