Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Can you please evaluate?

by crazydiode » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:13 am
Hi All,

My profile is as follows:

660 (Q- 45, V-38)
MS in Computer Science (3.45 GPA) (graduated May 2003)
B.E in Electronics and Communications (72% - distinction)
About 7+ years as a Software Developer including about 3+ years as a Team lead.

I haven't decided on the universities I want to apply but I am looking at these potential ones:

1. George Washington Univ, DC
2. Georgetown Univ, DC
3. Ross, Michigan,
4. IIM-A (executive)
5. ISB, Hyderabad.

Can you please let me know, when you get a chance, if I should even apply to these or should I start working on retaking the GMAT?

Thanks a lot,

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:18 am
Your GMAT score is within the range for both Georgetown and George Washington, but will be a problem at Michigan and the Indian schools. Of course, GMAT isn't the only measure used by schools, but when looking at very competitive programs, you don't want to give them any reason to reject you. Given two students who are comparable on all other measures, most schools will accept the one with a 700+ GMAT rather than the 660.

Coming from India and an IT background makes the task more difficult. You will be up against a huge pool of technical experts from India, most of whom will have a stronger GMAT. Your task will be to show the schools that you are different from and more interesting than the other candidates in that pool. An experienced admissions consultant can be a great help in identifying those things that will make you stand out from the other applicants.

When putting together your final school list you should be sure to include a couple of "safety" schools in addition to schoools for which you fit their profile and one or two stretch schools. With a well-chosen list you should have a solid chance of getting into at least one school.

A 700+ GMAT would substantially increase your chances at all these schools. Only you can tell whether you have the potential to increase that score. Have you taken a prep course? Do you know in what areas you need to improve? Have you worked with a tutor to identify your own strengths and address your weaknesses? If you have not yet taken these steps, you may have room to raise your score.
Tani Wolff

by crazydiode » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:15 pm
First of all Tani, thanks for your reply! It puts a lot of things into perspective. I realize that my 'competing' pool is the max the colleges that I have listed.

You mentioned : "Your task will be to show the schools that you are different from and more interesting than the other candidates in that pool. An experienced admissions consultant can be a great help in identifying those things that will make you stand out from the other applicants. "

Can you please tell me where I would find such an admissions consultant and/or if you can help me with this? Based on that talk I might decide if I want to take the GMAT again.

As for improvement, well I studied for 10 days and took the exam. I wrote 4 or 5 practice tests before taking it. So I think there is scope for improvement but I don't think I will have the time for another 4-6 months to study. And I guess I don't want to do my MBA in just any other school :-(

Thanks,

Legendary Member
Followed by:90 members

by Tani » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:28 pm
Kaplan has many seasoned consultants who have excellent records for getting applicants into top schools around the world. You can see short bios of the consultants online and pick one that looks as though he or she would be a good match for you. Simply request a specific individual when you sign up. I am certainly available if you choose to use Kaplan.

There several options for GMAT classes. The usual class meets for 8-10 weeks, once a week. Some classes meet twice a week. Once a week is better unless you have a lot of time between classes for homework and practice. You can also work with an individual tutor and focus on your specific strengths and weaknesses. Kaplan has a higher score guarantee that will return your money if your score doesn't go up.
Tani Wolff

by crazydiode » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:53 pm
I will definitely look into this!

Thanks,