Can someone explain in general terms (omitting words/phrases

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760
When you can omit certain words and phrases? I understand that you can omit words and/or phrases with comparisons when the second part of the comparison uses a possessive noun, but what are the other instances when you can omit words and phrases?

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:25 am
Anyone? If anyone can add any insight, that would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hrishi19884 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:33 am
osirus0830 wrote:Anyone? If anyone can add any insight, that would be greatly appreciated.
Actually, I didn't understand your question. Can you please give me an example which can help me better to explain if possible?
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:40 am
hrishi19884 wrote:
osirus0830 wrote:Anyone? If anyone can add any insight, that would be greatly appreciated.
Actually, I didn't understand your question. Can you please give me an example which can help me better to explain if possible?
Sure...sometimes sentences will omit information. For example, a sentence may read "I like my car better than the Smith's." In that sentence you don't have to say "I like my car better than the Smith's car" You can simply omit car. When is this acceptable and when is it not?
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hrishi19884 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:54 am
osirus0830 wrote:
hrishi19884 wrote:
Sure...sometimes sentences will omit information. For example, a sentence may read "I like my car better than the Smith's." In that sentence you don't have to say "I like my car better than the Smith's car" You can simply omit car. When is this acceptable and when is it not?
Thanks buddy. It generally depends on the 5 options that you have got.

"I like my car better than the Smith's."

"I like my car better than the Smith's car"

both of the above are valid in GMAT. So both these options would never come together in the 5 options that we have got.
At least some other errors like tense or punctuation error would be there to confuse us.

Another thing is that we can use 1st one only when verb is not modifying the noun.

For example : I have more cars than Smith does.

Here, I cannot write "I have more cars than Smith's"

Actually, I am not an expert in SC. But, I think, this could be the possible reason to it. Thanks.
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"