Can it be done?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:480

Can it be done?

by NotinFresno » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:27 pm
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could post links that discuss prepping for the GMAT in a short period of time. Unfortunately, I am going to have to retake it in the next 5-6 weeks and need to come up with a good plan. Most of the topics that I've read here address preparation that takes 8-15 weeks. I need to get from 480 to the mid 500s. Either links or actual suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:98 members

by Patrick_GMATFix » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:49 am
Hi NotinFresno,

With a very short prep period, your options are limited indeed, but not hopeless. From time to time, I get clients who have only 3 or 4 weeks to prepare. The solution I propose below requires heavy reliance on GMATPrep Software as well as on the GMATFix Solutions Engine

I would start by taking a diagnostic test from GMATPrep. Next, use the Solutions Engine (SE) to find and study the solutions to those questions on your test. In the SE, log the mastery level of each question. Once you're done the Engine will provide you a Performance Report that will determine your weakest areas. These are the areas on which you want to focus with the limited time you have.

From there, execute a two pronged approach:

1. Learn Concepts (about 1 week)
Use the MGMAT guides to learn the lessons that correspond to your weakest areas. You have little time, so don't worry about doing the OG problems assigned in those guides. The questions in the OG are on average easier than the questions on the GMAT. This should take you 1 to 1.5 weeks. At the end, take another GMATPrep exam.

2. Master GMATPrep
Ultimately, how well you're prepared will depend in large part on how much of GMATprep you have mastered. GMATPrep has over 1200 practice questions that are more similar to the GMAT than any other, so make mastering these questions the objective of your prep. To accomplish this objective, follow the following steps:
(a) Take a GMATprep test each week (1st test is taken at the end of step 1 above)
(b) Use the GMATFix Solutions Engine to study solutions and log your mastery level. Be sure to study not only the written, but also the video solutions. Remember that your mastery of the question-type is what matters; not just whether you know how to do the individual question at hand.
(c) Once you're done cataloging, look at your updated Performance Report to identify your 5 or 6 weakest areas. This report is updated with each question you go through.
(d) Use the Drill Generator (part of the Solutions Engine) to create, take, and review timed drills that test your specific weaknesses.

Repeat steps (a) through (d) each week.

Good luck!
-Patrick
  • Ask me about tutoring.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:480

by NotinFresno » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:44 pm
Hi Patrick,

Thanks so much for your reply, it is highly appreciated. I had almost given up that people replied to topics other than the ones where someone had passed the GMAT with a high score. I will definitely follow your advice and keep everyone posted. Thanks again!