Bombed the GMAT- Need Your Help

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Bombed the GMAT- Need Your Help

by flagship » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:36 pm
I took the GMAT a few days ago and I got a 500 (30V, 29M). so disappointed. I was expecting something in the low 600s, although my goal is really to hit 700. I plan to retake the GMAT in the next 2-3 weeks. I can dedicate 5 plus hours to studying for the GMAT if need be.

Although my score overall is disappointing, I know my real weakness is math here. I don't really find the math difficult, I just don't get it right. For verbal, I have scored a 37 on a practice test and was very surprised at how low it came out on the actual exam, but I am more confident in my own strategy for that section.

My question is what is the quickest and surest way to to up my math score the most within the next couple of weeks. I am willing to put in as much work as needed. Thanks guys.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:45 members
GMAT Score:760

by Jim@Grockit » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:17 pm
flagship wrote:I took the GMAT a few days ago and I got a 500 (30V, 29M). so disappointed. I was expecting something in the low 600s, although my goal is really to hit 700. I plan to retake the GMAT in the next 2-3 weeks. I can dedicate 5 plus hours to studying for the GMAT if need be.

Although my score overall is disappointing, I know my real weakness is math here. I don't really find the math difficult, I just don't get it right. For verbal, I have scored a 37 on a practice test and was very surprised at how low it came out on the actual exam, but I am more confident in my own strategy for that section.

My question is what is the quickest and surest way to to up my math score the most within the next couple of weeks. I am willing to put in as much work as needed. Thanks guys.
Going from 500 to 700 in three weeks is ambitious and (to be honest) not that likely unless there are some major mistakes you are consistently making (like not finishing the test or a common computational error). The Official Guide is the best place to start; do every problem and read every solution, even if you get it right, as you will learn patterns in wrong answer choices and may well learn other ways to approach problems (some have multiple valid paths to the right answer). Do a full-length practice test every few days and review the explanation of every problem immediately after. Keep a log of your errors and look for patterns.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by flagship » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:25 am
thanks! i've been using the official guide math book book (green one). ill move on to the large official guide book.

Followed by:1 members

by ezhilkumarank » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:09 pm
@flagship

Completely agree with Jim on the error logs part. Work on each and every question in O.G and keep track of your progress. This should yield the desired results.

Good luck with your preparation and happy studying.

Note: Moving this to the GMAT Strategy sub-forum.
"The will-to-do achieves the deed, when the mind that wills is strong indeed"

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gointobeready » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:37 am
Hi Jim,

I was in a very similar situation as the poster. Took the MGMAT course. Was not ready for the test but signed up anyways. I was expecting a 600 but I had a horrible test day. Was running late, got into a fight at Starbucks, tride to drink my water while running to the test center...and worst of all recieved a 600. So disappointed. Took a break and started studying again, only to fizzil out.

Now I am starting again. Would like to take it within 6 months, hopefully thats enough time. How do you suggest I study? I was going to start with my weakest areas, SC and Combinations and Permuations (using old books). Then do the MGMAT quant fundamentals book then the rest of the books(new books I just recieved). Then move to the OG guide concepts and then the OG problems.

Would be interested in what everyone thinks of my game plan.

Thanks,
Anosh
Jim@Grockit wrote:
flagship wrote:I took the GMAT a few days ago and I got a 500 (30V, 29M). so disappointed. I was expecting something in the low 600s, although my goal is really to hit 700. I plan to retake the GMAT in the next 2-3 weeks. I can dedicate 5 plus hours to studying for the GMAT if need be.

Going from 500 to 700 in three weeks is ambitious and (to be honest) not that likely unless there are some major mistakes you are consistently making (like not finishing the test or a common computational error). The Official Guide is the best place to start; do every problem and read every solution, even if you get it right, as you will learn patterns in wrong answer choices and may well learn other ways to approach problems (some have multiple valid paths to the right answer). Do a full-length practice test every few days and review the explanation of every problem immediately after. Keep a log of your errors and look for patterns.