Best Ways to Research Your Schools

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750

Best Ways to Research Your Schools

by Random Wok » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:21 am
Finished the GMAT recently and I need some help doing research on schools. This is probably the biggest gap in terms of content for my essays right now. Outside of the sources listed below, are there any other good sources for getting good / specific information about each school? The sources below are great, but sometimes they feel very "cut and paste" and somewhat interchangeable with any other top school.

- School Website
- Adcom Blog
- School & Class Visit
- Alumni Interviews
- Professor Interviews

Additionally, for those of you who've downloaded a school guide from one of the consulting firms, do you think they are worth the money?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sorter » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:46 am
Exchanging emails with current students - you can reach out through the clubs. I'm very curious to read some reviews about the guides, good and bad.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by southbaynic » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:31 am
I think you have your bases covered with the sources listed, plus talking to current students (which falls into the school/class visit, I assume). I can't really imagine that the paid consultant guides have too much info that you couldn't figure out on your own from the combined sources you listed.

Frankly, as much as schools want you to believe otherwise, many of them are very similar. Especially when you consider that applicants tend to gravitate toward similar schools (for instance, I am applying to schools known for collaboration/teamwork and not schools that are more on the competitive side). The general "feel" may be different, which is why the school visits are so helpful, IMO (though sometimes that's hard to articulate). You just need to try to pick out as many unique things as you can (specific classes, institutes, clubs, students/alums/profs etc.) to demonstrate you didn't just cut and paste from another school. But inevitably, some of it is going to be pretty similar among different schools.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:04 pm
@Random Wok - if you can visit schools you should do so, at least the schools on your short list. You would be surprised what you will find out about the culture after you visit. I've visited schools that say they're "collaborative" and all that, only to talk to the students and find out that it wasn't the case.

I personally do not write any essays until after I have visited each school.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants