Best Verbal Practice CAT?

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Best Verbal Practice CAT?

by basso25@ » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:07 am
hi all: quick question for the forum -- i'm looking to get as realistic of a diagnostic on my current verbal abilities. as such, i'm looking for the most accurate practice cat for verbal. is it gmatprep??

also, what are your thoughts on only taking the verbal section without awa, ir, and quant? of course my score will be inflated; guess my question is by how much, and can the verbal score still provide some value/indication of current ability?

really appreciate your thoughts/direction.

thank you!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:19 am
Hi basso25@,

The most realistic CATs available are the 2 that you can get for free from www.mba.com.

Taking one section of a CAT for practice is normally NOT a good idea. If your main problem is with the verbal section, then you have to practice 2 things:

1) Verbal content and strategy/tactics
2) Endurance

Taking a verbal section out of context means that you didn't do all the necessary work that appears in the 3 hours BEFORE you take the verbal section. The net effect is that you're not dealing with fatigue, which is something that you will have to deal with on Test Day.

Your score could end up wildly overinflated because your brain is fresh and you aren't carrying around any of the angst/stress/fatigue from the prior sections. You can find plenty of verbal practice in books and online, but a CAT is best used to measure your overall performance, not just one section.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]