Best Tip/Lesson Ever (perhaps a slight exaggeration)

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:790
(inspired by a post where someone claimed to have scored a "miserable 680" on a practice exam; also I would've titled this post Forum Decorum... but I figured less people would click on it then)

Dear Everyone Who Uses Derogatory Words to Describe Scores,

Don't do it. It shows a lack of tact. Many people would be very happy with a 680. It's not a miserable score. In fact, it's a very good score. It's a score that is better than 86% of all scores received on the GMAT. And to call such a score "miserable" is a slap in the face to many people. This brings me to something that is very important in the business world: people skills. If you have an 800 & no people skills... you're probably not going to make it very far. If you have a 650 & great people skills... the sky is pretty much the limit for you. Tact is important. Much more important than 20 points or even 100 points on the GMAT. Always think about how your choices will be perceived by others. Perception (sadly in a some cases) matters more than reality in the business world.

I'm not one to be preachy, especially on internet forums. But I see this occur a fair amount, and it really annoys me.

For those who are trying to practice their RC, feel free to post the 1. author's tone, 2. the main point of the passage, and 3. an assumption that was made in the passage. :-)

Love,
Riprop

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by aanderson04 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:16 am
I agree and appreciate this post because I am one of those that has scores well below 680. I would kill to have a score that high.

And I have to admit, I study my ass off. Then, to come on here and see people be so worried and upset about having scores like that leaves me very disheartened. Some days it leaves me feeling incompetent. And we all know how much confidence plays a role in taking this exam! I continue to visit the site because I really believe that my peers can help me understand something better than a book can. I have learned a lot of helpful things, which I assumed was the purpose of this website forum.

I also agree that the score on this test, even if it is perfect, won't guarantee a successful career. Knowing number operations and the equation of a sphere does not ensure you will be successful operating a business.

And I would hope that admissions boards have half a frame of mind to select a well-rounded applicant, who may not have a perfect or near perfect score, over a candidate who has a perfect score with nothing else to offer.

Followed by:1 members

by awesomeusername » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:17 am
You know, I have noticed this too. You are 100% right. It is insensitive and rude. I know that some people would die to get a 680. Hell, this is what I was hoping for! But even a low 600 can get you into a competitive school. Yes, it's more about the total package than GMAT score alone. Stanford turned down a few 800's last year, didn't it? Let's try and be more mindful of others.
Constant dripping hollows out a stone.
-Lucretius

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:770

by JasonReynolds » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:55 pm
A word of caution...I think you are possibly being to sensitive on this topic. Granted, people should be a bit more aware of other people's expectations on this test, and do their best to not unintentionally insult others while discussing their scores.

That being said, there are two reasons people say things like "my miserable 680." 1) The most obvious reason is, its below their goals. Substantially below his goal of a 750. When you've been working at a goal for a very long time, and you aren't there yet, your 680 feels miserable. There could be someone else on this board that just reached 650 and is ecstatic because he/she will be able to attend his/her dream school. But in this case, he is miserable about his score because it is an obstacle to his success.

2) The second reason, which I think is a bit more subtle is, if you are asking for people's advice or suggestions on a forum, they need to know how you feel about your score and what your goals are. By describing his 680 as miserable, we get the sense that he truly expects more from himself, and that he's willing to make drastic changes to his studying to get there.

I think your general point is legitimate -- don't be an ass. But cut people a break. The GMAT drives people insane.

hehe

by JeffB » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:09 pm
I agree with the OP.

Absolutely ridiculous to use the word "miserable" and "680" together.

GMAT Score:780

by Spaceman Spiff » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:48 pm
I completely disagree. It's the personal opinion of that individual who called his score "a miserable 680" and he is as entitled to freedom to express his opinion - about his own score, mind you - as the OP of this post is to freedom to disagree with him.

Welcome to the Internet :)

by tkherrmann » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:34 pm
I mean, people are also free to be rude to others in public. But, one can communicate their goals and failure to achieve them in other, more friendly ways.

"Miserable 680" implies that 680 is a bad score. One could very easily say "I scored a 680 and am miserable," "I scored a 680 and am very unhappy," or "I am very unhappy because I scored 680, which is far below my goals and practice test results." These sentences make no general judgement about other persons' scores, but "miserable 680" implies that 680, in general, is a bad score.

Basically -- yes, it's important to communicate your goals. One person's 650 is another's 800. In a (public) internet forum, however, it is nice to take into account others' situations. Most people do the same in public; but, it's easier to write something we would never say in person.

Just my thoughts :)

by JasonReynolds » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:03 pm
Actually, when you say "Miserable 680"...miserable is an adjective modifying 680, which describes what kind of 680 you scored.

Its like if you said, I scored a lucky 30 points last night in the basketball game. You could also say I scored a lucky 10 points in the game last night. Neither statement makes any suggestion as to how good 10 points or 30 points is in a basketball game.

The same way, if he had said "My 680 on the GMAT was a miserable score." It would be an insult to all 680 out there.

But if you say "I scored a miserable 680." It really just means, the 680 is miserable to you.

by yogami » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:20 pm
I am the guy who actually posted that thread, and I wasn't expecting that some people would be offended by it. As a human animal(I apologize in advance if the use of this word 'animal' goes against beliefs of others) I think our beliefs and our personalities create a unique window of expression due to our so-called identities and emotional state. When I was posting that thread I did not think about others for even a second. It was my emotional reaction to something I was not expecting. We can logically argue about this till eternity, but it will only create an infinite argumentative thread because simply put, nothing is an absolute opinion. I saw a thread here where someone said that MBA is not worth pursuing if he won't get in the top 10. Now I am aspiring to get into a school which is probably not in top 20!!. What should I interpret from that statement? If I was in a negative state of my mind I would interpret it as "wtf is wrong with schools other than in top 10??" If I was objectively evaluating that statement my response would be "Those are his expectations and I wish him good luck for it". I will not be evaluating his use of adjectives, his phrasing, and the literal meaning of each and everything he said because simply based on the tone of his passage, I would get the impression that he does not mean any harm or ill-will and is not demeaning to others. But a subjective interpretation can be disastrous. But one good thing that has come out of this thread, at least for me, is the value of the fabric of people skills. I am glad that there are many here who have internalized that tact, and that is one of my goals too. The other good thing that came out of it is that the use of precise language in communicating any sort of experiences, personal or impersonal, is critical in generating positive feedback and avoiding bringing any form of ignominy to others. Since this is internet, where human to human interaction is absolutely restricted to the content and interpretation of the post, devoid of any knowledge of the personality or the body language of the person who posts, it is paramount for individuals like me to be meticulous in the future. In summary - cut me some slack fellas. I am not perfect in my life like anyone else, and by claiming that 680 is miserable I don't mean to say that I am an einstein or others are not as smart as me. I just fell short of MY expectations just as someone expecting 600 scores a 450 feels sad about it, and just as someone who scored a 750 complains about missing that one combinatorics question which could have gotten him to a 780, and just as someone who claims that princeton quant is very easy while few people find it a little tough.
Conclusion - I have learned my lessons and there is no further need to fuel this discussion any further as I decorously apologize for any 'unintended' emotions I have stirred accidentally.
200 or 800. It don't matter no more.

by tkherrmann » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:54 am
Jason -- like yogami pointed out, I don't think there's any absolute way to analyze it. All I was saying is that "miserable 680" can, at the very least, be read both ways, and that there are other ways to say it.

Yogami -- sorry we are being a little harsh. Frankly, I would have felt the same way with a 680. It's just that when I read it, it made me squirm a little knowing others on this forum who are aiming for scores like that. Anyway -- good luck on preparing for the GMAT again. I'm sure you'll get much closer to your goals on the second go-around.

Best,
Tim

GMAT Score:790

by Toph@GMAT_REBOOT » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:47 am
Yogami,

This wasn't meant to insult you (and I probably should've done a better job of explaining that in my original post... like you said, none of us are perfect, and I'm a fine example of your point). And if I had just read it in your thread, I probably wouldn't have said anything. It's something I've noticed a fair amount in my time on this forum. I just wanted people to consider it when they posted. There is no problem with you being disappointed with your score. You have expecations. If you fall short of your expectations, you're going to be disappointed. We've all been there. If someone's goal is a 650, I don't want them to feel bad about their goal because someone is calling a 680 a miserable score. A 650 is a very good score, and a score that someone should be proud to achieve.

Best of luck, and I hope you get an 800! :D

p.s. My best MGMAT score was 40 points lower than my actual score. I really like their practice exams, but the length of the math questions can affect your timing... which can in turn lower your accuracy. The exams are great practice though as long as you realize that.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
so i'm just glad that i'm not alone.

Reading this thread helped put things back in perspective for me.

this shit is stressful guys.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gospy » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:51 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I completely disagree. It's the personal opinion of that individual who called his score "a miserable 680" and he is as entitled to freedom to express his opinion - about his own score, mind you - as the OP of this post is to freedom to disagree with him.

Welcome to the Internet :)
This. You really have no right to judge someone based on how they feel about their score. I'm sure some people would be happy with a 550. That would still be a miserable score for me, and that's exactly how I would put it.

That doesn't make me pretentious or arrogant. It makes me determined and invested in doing well. I have goals, and if I don't meet them, what's the point in cutting my losses and being like: "oh well, someone else would be ecstatic here, so I should settle"?

This thread actually kinda bothers me.

GMAT Score:680
Riprop wrote:Many people would be very happy with a 680. It's not a miserable score. In fact, it's a very good score. It's a score that is better than 86% of all scores received on the GMAT.
YEAH!

<-----------------------------

Followed by:2 members

by doclkk » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:49 am
I agree with the OP for the most part.

680 I can understand the disappointment particularly if they were practicing at a 700 + level. I guess I don't understand at all when I hear people say pissed with their 730.

I've looked at all the top B school profiles and I don't think any school has an average above 730? Harvard / Wharton / Stanford sit at 727. Is there really a difference between a 730 and 760+ sans the aspiration to teach for MGMAT =P? Didn't Stanford go on record and not admit any 800's one year?

Would a 730 / 760 (all other things equal) admit vs. not admit?

Unlikely?