'begin with' vs 'begin by'

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

'begin with' vs 'begin by'

by RACHVIK » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:30 pm
A discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact of there being an independent Western Europe which now thinks of itself in trans-nationalist terms.

A. A discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact of there being
B. Beginning any discussion of our nations foreign policy must be the fact of there being
C. Any discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact that there is
D. Any discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin by acknowledging the existence of
E. To begin discussing our nations foreign policy thee must be an acknowledgment of the fact that

The OA is D. What is wrong with answer 'C'. Both of them modify the verb 'begin'.

Thanks
Rachvik

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:21 pm
RACHVIK wrote:A discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact of there being an independent Western Europe which now thinks of itself in trans-nationalist terms.

A. A discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact of there being
B. Beginning any discussion of our nations foreign policy must be the fact of there being
C. Any discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact that there is
D. Any discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin by acknowledging the existence of
E. To begin discussing our nations foreign policy thee must be an acknowledgment of the fact that

The OA is D. What is wrong with answer 'C'. Both of them modify the verb 'begin'.

Thanks
I find no grammar problem with C - it is just wordy and cumbersome with the use of "there is an independent Europe". I would choose D not because C is wrong, but because D is better - more concise.
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:700

by prachich1987 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:24 pm
I think we can use either "begin with" or "begin by".It's not the issue here.
It's about how clearly it conveys the meaning.

A. A discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact of there being ---- must begin with the facto of there being sounds awkward.
B. Beginning any discussion of our nations foreign policy must be the fact of there being --- how can beginning be a fact?
C. Any discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact that there is ---begin with a fact makes no sense
D. Any discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin by acknowledging the existence of ---Correct..
E. To begin discussing our nations foreign policy thee must be an acknowledgment of the fact that -- to begin..acknowledge

I think except D none of the options make sense.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by edvhou812 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:29 am
prachich1987 wrote:I think we can use either "begin with" or "begin by".It's not the issue here.
It's about how clearly it conveys the meaning.

A. A discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact of there being ---- must begin with the facto of there being sounds awkward.
B. Beginning any discussion of our nations foreign policy must be the fact of there being --- how can beginning be a fact?
C. Any discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin with the fact that there is ---begin with a fact makes no sense
D. Any discussion of our nations foreign policy must begin by acknowledging the existence of ---Correct..
E. To begin discussing our nations foreign policy thee must be an acknowledgment of the fact that -- to begin..acknowledge

I think except D none of the options make sense.
I notice that most sentences that have "due to the fact" or similar, and "being" are usually wrong. Doesn't mean that they are always wrong, but it is a safe gamble to say they are wrong. E just sounds like a high school kid was blabbing on about nothing in an attempt to reach 255 words in a short essay. D doesn't sound that great either, but it is the best out of the bunch. I would say "with acknowledgement of the existence of", but D still works.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Balrog1978 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:09 am
I wish would people STOP posting OA directly and use the SPOILER instead!!