Because the 2009 swine flu was caused by the H1N1 virus

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Because the 2009 swine flu was caused by the H1N1 virus - the same strain of influenza that had caused the massive 1918 flu pandemic - was why researchers were convinced that it had the potential of killing many millions of people, especially children and the elderly.

A) Because the 2009 swine flu was caused by the H1N1 virus - the same strain of influenza that had caused the massive 1918 flu pandemic - was why researchers were convinced that it had the potential of killing many millions of people, especially children and the elderly

B) Caused by the H1N1 virus, the same strain of influenza that caused the massive 1918 flu pandemic, researchers were convinced that the 2009 swine flu could potentially kill many millions of people, and in particular children and the elderly

C) The H1N1 virus, the same strain of influenza caused the massive flu pandemic of 1918, also caused the 2009 swine flu; therefore, researchers were convinced that it had the potential of killing many millions of people, children and the elderly included

D) Because the 2009 swine flu was caused by the H1N1 virus - the same strain of influenza that caused the massive flu pandemic of 1918 - researchers were convinced that it had the potential to kill many millions of people, particularly children and the elderly

E) Researchers were convinced that the 2009 swine flu - which could potentially cause the killing of millions of people, including children and the elderly - was caused by the H1N1 virus, the same strain of influenza that had caused the massive flu pandemic of 1918

OAD

Please explain.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by crackverbal » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:07 am
let us review the answer options.

A - "because" is a subordinating conjunction. Thus, it requires a main clause to go with it.
"was why researchers were convinced ..." is not a clause. Hence, incorrect.

Also, note that "because + was why" is redundant.

the usage of past perfect "had caused the massive 1918 flu pandemic" is not necessary.
Past perfect is used to emphasize that one action happened before the other.

For example - My mom had cooked dinner when I arrived. - this emphasizes the fact the "cooking" happened before my arrival.
My mom cooked dinner when I arrived - this sentence has a completely different meaning. It suggests that the cooking happened around the time of my arrival, not before.

The usage of past perfect is not necessary when the context clearly indicates which event occurred first. In this sentence, we are referring to a specific time period - 1918. Use the simple past in such cases.
(Note that it is very clear that 1918 pandemic occurred before 2009 swine flu. Past perfect is unnecessary).

B - "the same strain of influenza ..." modifies "researchers". Illogical.
B also changes the meaning. Does not tell us why the researchers were convinced that the swine flu could kill millions of people.

"and" requires parallelism. "in particular ..." is not parallel.

C - Not a proper sentence.
the sentence - "the same strain of influenza ..." - needs to be a modifier to the subject The H1N1 virus.
It cannot function as a modifier because it is a complete sentence.
Adding a "that" after influenza might correct this. "the same strain of influenza that caused ..."

this option seems to refer to 3 separate groups of people - millions of people, children and the elderly. Not the intended meaning.
the intended meaning is that "children and the elderly" are part of "millions of people". By dropping the especially, this option distorts the original meaning. The original sentence implied that children and the elderly were especially affected.

D - correct answer.

E - changes the original meaning. this option basically reads -
"Researchers were convinced that the 2009 swine flu was caused by the H1N1 virus".
By dropping the especially, this option distorts the original meaning. The original sentence implied that children and the elderly were especially affected.

Usage of past perfect "that had caused the massive flu pandemic of 1918" is not necessary.

"which could potentially cause the killing of millions of people" is not the correct usage. suggests indirect causation.
"which had the potential to kill millions of people" - correct usage. suggests direct causation.
Join Free 4 part MBA Through GMAT Video Training Series here -
https://gmat.crackverbal.com/mba-throug ... video-2018

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
https://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by GMATsid2016 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:01 am
crackverbal wrote:let us review the answer options.

A - "because" is a subordinating conjunction. Thus, it requires a main clause to go with it.
"was why researchers were convinced ..." is not a clause. Hence, incorrect.

Also, note that "because + was why" is redundant.

the usage of past perfect "had caused the massive 1918 flu pandemic" is not necessary.
Past perfect is used to emphasize that one action happened before the other.

For example - My mom had cooked dinner when I arrived. - this emphasizes the fact the "cooking" happened before my arrival.
My mom cooked dinner when I arrived - this sentence has a completely different meaning. It suggests that the cooking happened around the time of my arrival, not before.

The usage of past perfect is not necessary when the context clearly indicates which event occurred first. In this sentence, we are referring to a specific time period - 1918. Use the simple past in such cases.
(Note that it is very clear that 1918 pandemic occurred before 2009 swine flu. Past perfect is unnecessary).

B - "the same strain of influenza ..." modifies "researchers". Illogical.
B also changes the meaning. Does not tell us why the researchers were convinced that the swine flu could kill millions of people.

"and" requires parallelism. "in particular ..." is not parallel.

C - Not a proper sentence.
the sentence - "the same strain of influenza ..." - needs to be a modifier to the subject The H1N1 virus.
It cannot function as a modifier because it is a complete sentence.
Adding a "that" after influenza might correct this. "the same strain of influenza that caused ..."

this option seems to refer to 3 separate groups of people - millions of people, children and the elderly. Not the intended meaning.
the intended meaning is that "children and the elderly" are part of "millions of people". By dropping the especially, this option distorts the original meaning. The original sentence implied that children and the elderly were especially affected.

D - correct answer.

E - changes the original meaning. this option basically reads -
"Researchers were convinced that the 2009 swine flu was caused by the H1N1 virus".
By dropping the especially, this option distorts the original meaning. The original sentence implied that children and the elderly were especially affected.

Usage of past perfect "that had caused the massive flu pandemic of 1918" is not necessary.

"which could potentially cause the killing of millions of people" is not the correct usage. suggests indirect causation.
"which had the potential to kill millions of people" - correct usage. suggests direct causation.

Hello crackverbal ,

Thanks for your explanation. It really helps.

Thanks,

Sid