beatrix potter

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

beatrix potter

by gmatjeet » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:20 pm
Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

-> OA: C

My specific query is with D. Various explanations mention that Carefully.... modifies Beatrix Potter which is incorrect. I am unable to understand this.
As per me "Beatrix.....carefully coordinated.....in her book" - sounds alright...isnt it?
Can someone help please?

by sandy217 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:27 pm
Carefully coordinated with her narratives is the "Modifier phrase" . It Modifies the noun next to it.
As you said the sentence can illogically mean that Beatrix potter was carefully coordinated with her narratives.

GMAT Score:690

by gmatjeet » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:55 pm
sorry but it is still not clear "Carefully.... modifies Beatrix Potter " - what is wrong in this?

by sandy217 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:02 pm
gmatjeet wrote:sorry but it is still not clear "Carefully.... modifies Beatrix Potter " - what is wrong in this?
Yes you are correct. Carefully modifies Beatrix potter.That's y it is wrong.It should instead modify the illustrations of Beatrix.

Running at a speed of 15kmph, Karan finished the race.

Above statement implies, Karan was running at the speed of 15kmph.
Last edited by sandy217 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:85 members
GMAT Score:750

by tpr-becky » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:22 pm
To test out D you have to ask what was carefully coordinated - It is supposed to be her illustrations but the grammar of the sentence specifically states that Beatrix Potter was carefully coordinated (not her illustrations)
Becky
Master GMAT Instructor
The Princeton Review
Irvine, CA

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:07 am
tpr-becky wrote:To test out D you have to ask what was carefully coordinated - It is supposed to be her illustrations but the grammar of the sentence specifically states that Beatrix Potter was carefully coordinated (not her illustrations)
Hi tpr-becky could you please how explain in detail how do we arrive at the OA here ? I could find no difference between A,B and C
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:85 members

by tpr-becky » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:28 am
gmatjeet wrote:Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, is not parallel with "capitalized" and does not have a conjunction (such as and, yet etc...)
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter ( here is is unclear whether the illustrations are carefully coordinating Beatrix Potter is).
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter (The "which" clearly refers to illustrations)
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations (Beatrix Potter is not coordinated with her narratives)
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and
Becky
Master GMAT Instructor
The Princeton Review
Irvine, CA

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:38 am
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter ( here is is unclear whether the illustrations are carefully coordinating Beatrix Potter is).

But its very clear illustrations are not the ones that are coordinating . "them " refers to illustrations . her narratives refers to Potters narratives . So potter is the one who is coordinating .
Also
(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, is not parallel with "capitalized" and does not have a conjunction (such as and, yet etc...)
How do we know what requires parallelism and what doesnt . I thought parallelism markers such as FANBOYS required parallelism . Linking verbs required parallelism . What in this sentence indicates that parallelism is required . You didnt emphasize parallelism in any of the other choices
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by ronaldramlan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:23 am
tpr-becky wrote:
gmatjeet wrote:Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.

(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter (The "which" clearly refers to illustrations)
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations (Beatrix Potter is not coordinated with her narratives)
Can you explain what's wrong with E?
I was concerned with the pronoun "them", but I think "them" logically refers to the book illustrations, no?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:03 am
ronaldramlan wrote: Can you explain what's wrong with E?
I was concerned with the pronoun "them", but I think "them" logically refers to the book illustrations, no?
Check my posts here:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-12-sc-t132029.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by mensanumber » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:31 am
Hi Mitch,
Thank you for posting this link here. I did go thru it and understand your explanations. However, I don't get OG explanations here. For instance,

A) OG Explanation: The participial phrase does not clearly modify the noun in the preceding phrase.

1. Why is that so? Is n't a participial phrase supposed to modify a noun touching it- preceding or following- it? So should not 'coordinating' modify book illustrations at least TECHNICALLY?
2. I remember you mentioning in another post that if a participial phrase follows a clause, it modify the verb of the clause and must also refer to the subject of the clause. However, what happens when a prepositional phrase (in her book illustrations) is followed by a participial phrase (carefully coordinating them with her narratives)? Or should we totally avoid two modifying phrase in a row?

E. OG Explanation: The participial phrase does not clearly modify 'book illustrations'
Again why? How does the meaning change here as 'coordinating' becomes coordinated?

Thanks!