"Beaten" by GMAT

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

"Beaten" by GMAT

by mmslf75 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:15 am
Hi Guys...
Ever since I started browsing this amazing awesome FORUM, I promised myself that someday I would too write a nice long debrief with a score of 700. BUT...

I am not eligible to write a debrief thanks to a disheartening score of 580.

I went through almost all available material including
OG 11
OG 12
Verbal Review
Quant Review
Manhattan ( ALL MATHS Books )
Manhattan ( ALL English Books )
1000 CR ( few sets )
1000 SC ( few sets )
1000 PS ( few sets )
1000 DS ( few sets )
Princeton Review
Kaplan 800
Hard Maths from Princeton

MGMAT 1 640
MGMAT 2 640
MGMAT 3 650
MGMAT 4 680
Princeton Review 640
GMAT PREP 1 650
GMAT PREP 2 690
Sectional Tests from Kaplan

STILL got a 580 ( Q 44 , V 25 )
Was always in the range of 46 to 49 for Quant and between 31 to 38 for Verbal...dont know what went wrong !!

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:23 pm
Don't loose heart my friend. I am sure u will achieve ur dream score on your next attempt if u plan to do so.

580 to 700+ is achievable and I am sure u can do it.

Regards,
CR

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Re: "Beaten" by GMAT

by p2dski » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:10 pm
mmslf75,

You went through a ton of prepping! Go through it again! Even if you get the answers right, read the solutions very carefully to know exactly how you arrived at that answer. If you get the answer wrong, work it out with the solution, then the next day attempt that same problem to see if you can remember how to arrive at the correct solution.

Looks like your verbal score is very low. Perhaps you are not a native speaker? Read economist.com daily to increase your reading speed and comprehension.

Keep practicing. Your practice exams were so close to your 700+ goal.

If you are feeling demotivated, read some Og Mandino or Napoleon Hill books!

"Obstacles are necessary for success because in selling, as in all careers of importance, victory comes only after many struggles and countless defeats."
-Og Mandino

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by mmslf75 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:42 am
p2dski wrote:mmslf75,

You went through a ton of prepping! Go through it again! Even if you get the answers right, read the solutions very carefully to know exactly how you arrived at that answer. If you get the answer wrong, work it out with the solution, then the next day attempt that same problem to see if you can remember how to arrive at the correct solution.

Looks like your verbal score is very low. Perhaps you are not a native speaker? Read economist.com daily to increase your reading speed and comprehension.

"Obstacles are necessary for success because in selling, as in all careers of importance, victory comes only after many struggles and countless defeats."
-Og Mandino

Hi

Thanks..

Yeah i am not a native english speaker... Is it necesary for one to be a native english speaker to crack the gmat...
Will economist suffice.. and secondly I plan on buying POWERSCORE ...CRITICAL BIBLE.. Howz it ?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Shawshank » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:54 am
Looks like you had a bad day ...
DOnt give up.. You can make it...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Shawshank Redemtion -- Hope is still alive ...

by p2dski » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:13 am
mmslf75 wrote:
Hi

Thanks..

Yeah i am not a native english speaker... Is it necesary for one to be a native english speaker to crack the gmat...
Will economist suffice.. and secondly I plan on buying POWERSCORE ...CRITICAL BIBLE.. Howz it ?
You have plenty of books by now! Keep study the concepts. I think idioms would be the most difficult for non-native speakers. Read 20th century classics like The Great Gatsby. If you have the MGMAT books I am not sure how necessary the POWERSCORE book would be. It would give you extra practice though.
"Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success." -Napoleon Hill

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:730

by ranell » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:31 pm
Don't give up your preparation! If you work hard, you will finally reach the point you are aiming at.
Good luck!

by dr_gmat » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:00 pm
mmslf75 wrote:
p2dski wrote:mmslf75,

-Og Mandino

Hi

Thanks..

Keep on trying, you probably just had an off day.