Beaten by GMAT 610 !!!!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Beaten by GMAT 610 !!!!

by Conquer Gmat » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:09 am
Hey,

I took my Gmat on 16th.. Completely devastated by the score of 610 (Q43, V34)... Never expected it to be so low since I was scoring consistently in the range of 680-720 on all the GMAT Preps...

Anyways I am a BE (Mechanical) from a reputed university (Pune) in India. Decent Acads (arnd 3.5 GPA), Good Extra-Curricular's mainly in Sports (Football, Cricket, TT, Badminton etc..), 2 yrs of experience in International Marketing of Petrol Dispensing Pumps and Systems at L&T (L&T is a US $ 7 billion engineering conglomerate). I am still working at L&T and handle the African region. Have visited most parts of East Africa for Marketing related activities...

I had scheduled my GMAT in the morning whereas I am not a morning person. My day usually starts late and I think this was the error I made in scheduling my test. I struggled for sleep the prior night and hence was not feeling fresh enough. But reasons apart, I must confess that I had prepared well. I started studying in the first week of January and was doing well... I had an avg score of about 47 on Quant and arnd 35 on Verbal throughout my preparation. I was literally shocked by the level of calculation involves on the Quant Section on the Exam day.. It consisted of wierd nos, time consuming nasty question... In the break between Quant and Verbal I had realised that I have messed up Quant BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!

Verbal was fairly ok.. and since I scored close to my target range it fairly ok.. SC's was my weakest point and I worked on it thru Manhattan SC's. I believe SC's can make or break ur Verbal Score. You can plan only for SC's since rest all the questions on Verbal (RC's and CR's) are day dependent. I understood this point and worked hard towards achieving atleast 90% accuracy on SC's. I am sure I achieved it .. so no complains..

Books referred..

OG 11
OG Quant Review(Green)
OG Verbal Review(Verbal)
Manhattan SC

Going by the posts on this forum I stopped working on Kaplan. Though I did complete the questions on Kaplan Premier edition, I took only 3 Kaplan tests (580, 590,570)..

What I think is that GMAT PRep is the best available tool for GMAT Main Exam.. Do it Again and again and again.. It has a huge data base and even if you run the test three times, it pops up with almost 90% new questions...

Finally, many thanks to ppl who have been posting on this forum.. In last few days of my preparation my only target was to score good on GMAT so that I could boast of a story on this page.. but unfortunately I didn't.. Many say that OG is the Bible of GMAT.. but for me BTG is everything you need to score good marks on GMAt.. Its a wonderful and well managed tool for all the GMAT Takers... Long Live BTG!!!!!!

Looking forward.. I am in a dicey situation.. When to take my next GMAT??

I am looking at applying to Tier 1 US B Schools alongwith a few in SE Asia ( Singapore mainly).. Need to know your comments on the same and guidelines for my plan ahead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you BTG...

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

610 is not that low

by beter2jump » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:32 pm
hi conquere gmat,

I think with US schools in mind, 610 might be low, but in Canada i think its probably good (acceptable) score. I am not sure if Canadian schools are in your horizon but consider looking at schools such as Ivey, Rotman and Queens. These are top tier canadian schools with good programs.

Finally , you have strong profile & only GMAT should not despair you. I am also appearing on 30th March and my target is what you got .... near 600.