beaten again 620->640

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

beaten again 620->640

by Cdawg » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:19 am
LoL I got beaten...AGAIN!

640 (Q42, V36)
again I am devastated. My previous score was 620 (Q47, V29). I could have saved weeks of prep for such a shitty result.

score change:
quant: -5
verbal +7

I have no idea how I could score so low in Quant, which is actually my strength. It's so frustrating. I feel pretty dumb. I reconfirmed my ulow score. bye bye good grad school.

My test runs in the last couple days were all decent.

MGMAT 720
Kaplan 670
GMAT Prep. 710, 700
always Q>47,

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by GMATBootcamp » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:21 am
I feel your pain Cdawg. This is many a students worst nightmare.

But looking on the bright side, look at how much your verbal improved. An improvement of 7 points is nothing to sneeze at. If this is only your second try on the GMAT, I would recommend taking it one last time.

Just make sure that this time around, you focus on reviewing both math and verbal so that your skills remain sharp in both areas.
Paul

Focused GMAT Preparation
www.thegmatbootcamp.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:00 am
How much did you review the math section between your first and second test? A common mistake among test takers is to focus only on their weaknesses on not on their strengths.

Also, the fact that you scored above a 47 on all you GMAT quant sections in the past helps show that your a capable of doing well on that section. I agree with the above reply that you should give it one more shot. Try to give yourself two solid weeks where you study 4+ hours a day (if possible) and then rock the exam. This will make it so you beef up your stamina quickly and all the material you go over will still be fresh in your head by the time you take the test. Stamina is extremely important on the GMAT and is one of the main reasons people do badly on the Math section- lack of stamina leads to silly mistakes, which may have been your case.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Cdawg » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:20 am
My weaknesses were in probabilities and Venn Diagrams. So I took two days each to review them. I am good with integers, geometry and algebra, so I reviewed them by taking practice tests. As I said, I always had scores in quant above 47. Even in quant with my 47 score in the first test, I didn't even answer the last question.

Generally, I devoted quite some time (probably 1.5 additional weeks of effective studying) to verbal especially SC. The first time, I had massive time issues in the verbal part, so I worked on my time management.

The 2nd test started horrible in quant and I was sort of caught off guard. It felt like the questions were so easy, but I couldn't answer them.

The thing is, that I wanted to apply to the 2010/11 intake, and they will basically be closed in another month. I may do a gap year after my bachelors and do internships for a year. In that case I may retake the Gmat again. I am not dissatisfied with my verbal score, but I don't understand how I could score so low in quant.

Doesn't it look pretty lousy to take it 3 times?

GMAT Score:760

by GMATBootcamp » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:08 am
Yes, the admins will see that you've taken the GMAT multiple times. But 3 times is usually the max that I think students should try taking the test. Any more than that and it begins to look a bit ridiculous.

Most admissions are looking for an 80th + percentile score in both math and verbal. So I generally recommend that students target this. You seem really borderline with yoru test score, so I'd recommend giving it a shot.

In your case you might also be able to compensate for the lower math score with a quant heavy undergrad degree or even work experience.
Paul

Focused GMAT Preparation
www.thegmatbootcamp.com

by neoreaves » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:18 pm
It is not the end of the world. You should bounce back even harder now ...come on it was just one bad day for quant ...i would say take it again ....btw when did u take ur first test and when did u take the second ...i am wondering if the general difficulty level has gone up

GMAT/MBA Expert

Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:01 am
Cdawg wrote:
Doesn't it look pretty lousy to take it 3 times?
Taking the test three times doesn't hurt you as long as you keep improving in between tests. I wrote the some of the top 20 schools and they all said about the same thing- we just take your highest score.
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT